GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys i know the Detroit show isn't until January but with the merger talks and Chrysler's big time cost cutting moves as of late I got to thinking how it would affect Chrysler's future projects and concept car development.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
Their booth will be a small one with this posted in it...

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Their booth will be a small one with this posted in it...

LOL. I did hear that only ONE concept car will be on display this year and that Chryslers booth will be smaller than in prior years

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
LOL. I did hear that only ONE concept car will be on display this year and that Chryslers booth will be smaller than in prior years
Their display is usually pretty forgettable (although Jeep tends to put up a nice one) and has been getting smaller for a while. Last year all I did was sit in a Journey and didn't bother with anything else. The year before I sat in an Avenger and decided to take that car off my list, thanks to the dispicable interior.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope they show production versions of those cool electric cars though I am not holding my breath.
I hope so too and I did hear also that the concept Chrysler is working on won't be all new but rather it would possibly be a reworked version of a concept they have already shown. Unfortunately i do not know what the concept exactly is (my source refused to share that info)

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
i think they will probably show a couple cars, the usual of course, 09 ram and viper ACR probably, maybe an electric car if they get to it.

probably nothing special though

·
Registered
5,411 Posts
maybe the redesigned/restyled Sebring & Avenger???

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
maybe the redesigned/restyled Sebring & Avenger???
The Avenger looks fine on the outside, but the interior made me miss my Reliant.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Along with Chrysler hopefully showing some cool stuff, I hope GM has something noteworthy...like a concept each for the next Impala, Grand Prix (G8 makes me gag) and the STS/DTS replacement. A stretch I know but hey, a man can dream can't he? How about a HUGE surprise in the form of a concept for.....a revived Firebird?!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I think that all "Research and Development" funding was stripped from Chrysler's budjet when Cerebus purchased it. So nothing new will be coming from the "Chrysler Camp"

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
I believe they will show "their" electric cars again, plus everything they can dust off. The stand will be the smallest possible, and rather unimpressive.

HAVING SAID WHICH

Chrysler could easily rehash their current lineup in a series of more-or-less capex-consuming moves:

1. Patriot and Compass got new, less craptastic interiors. Transplating those is the thing Caliber needs to salvage any retail sales.

BTW, what's that, navigation? Oooooh, can't be, GM is unable to fit nav into a Malibu, it could not possibly have been done in a Caliber!

2. The Journey got a rather neat set of switchgear - SPREAD them accross the line!

3. FORCE VW to allow Chrysler to use as much of the Routan's interior and exterior and possible. To the hell with making all three look the same - at least make the Chryslers look decent!

4. Upgrade Aspen's interior and export the Hybrid wherever you can. It is one of the few surviving BOFs, and the most decent looking IMHO. Should sell well as hybrid. Build in China at Beijing Chrysler if necessary.

5. Offer Mitsubishi to sell a version of the Netherlands-built Colt via Chrysler Europe dealers. Both Nedcar and the dealers desperately need volume.

6. Merge Sebring's and Avenger's body shapes to 1) cancel Avenger's kink 2) cancel Sebring's excess black plastic "trim" and 3) rectify Serbing's stumpy trunk. Too bad both look alike again, at least they won't be looking awful:

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Chrysler has even worse perception for quality than GM, they have no cars in the US that get above 30 mpg, and lastly, interior ascetics are the worst in the industry. The only bright spot with Chrysler is the Phoenix engines...and its pretty much a moot point without a decent shell to go with it.

That said, hopefully a concept comes along that shows the world that Chrysler isnt dead...but I wouldn't count on it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts