GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Malibu Premier Cajun Red picked up 9/19/19 Every factory option. Great car. Not my first.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WHAT ever happened to having a FLAT rear seat floor on a FWD car? I don't think I've seen a flat rear floor on any of my cars since my 1980 Olds Toronado DIESEL!:confused:

·
Registered
903 Posts
I guess since cars are lower to the ground than they used to be they have to tuck the exhaust up higher under there. If your Malibu is like mine, I know what you mean. The rear middle seat is only good for a child, impossible for even a teen.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The former axle tunnel actually add a lot of structural integrity to a unibody car. That's why it didn't really go away. That and a good place to hide the exhaust.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
I've had to ask before, when in a FWD car with a bench seat and backseat, "why's there a trans tunnel"?

It took a while though. I grew up in SUVs, then my first "car" was the Reatta which had a center console anyway and no beackseat for me to really the hump (though its still back there)

·
Registered
2020 Malibu Premier Cajun Red picked up 9/19/19 Every factory option. Great car. Not my first.
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. Some day I'll have to crawl under the Malibu to see what's under there or wait until I get the oil changed and look then. It has never even dawned on me for years because rarely is anyone in the back seat.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
im with him...... whats up with the camry exhaust being so visible and hanging so low.... I think the corolla is the same.....

the only explanation I can think of, is that having it low- makes for less turns in the pipe.... less turns=smoother flow= more HP?

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
The former axle tunnel actually add a lot of structural integrity to a unibody car. That's why it didn't really go away. That and a good place to hide the exhaust.
The stuctural part makes sense. My FWD cars have always had the exhaust tucked up in there as well.

What do you mean by a low exhaust on the Camry? Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just look at any of the last 3 generations of the Camry. Between the back wheels towards the right I think the exhaust bends downwards a few inches making it very low. I don't know why it does that either. Maybe to make the rear floor flatter? I've never been in a Camry so I don't know.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
It hangs low in the camry, because in the Camry V6, the exhaust goes under the rear axle instead of over it, like everybody else. Have no idea why Toyota does that tho.
(At least that's how I remember it being explained, I never really took a close look at it)

I don't think the 4 cylinder models suffer from this, but I could be wrong. I only noticed it on V6 models.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.