GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been seeing a couple commercials...Infiniti Q50 and Ford Fusion:

I suppose that anything that prevents accidents/collisions makes things better for everyone.

But...

My take away from these ads is "well s#!t, I can really slack off now...the car can just tell me if I'm about to hit something or just take care of itself...I'll just keep my phone hidden in my lap"

So drivers can really suck at backing out of parking spaces, parallel parking, staying in their lanes, or looking ahead at something they're about to hit, and it's alright because the car's electronic driving aids can take care of everything. This is in place of teaching people to be attentive, cautious, and skillful drivers (I feel this is a problem among the general driving population at any rate).

Anyone else agree? Disagree?

·
Premium Member
36,287 Posts
Excellent post, topic, and point, F14.

I've seen a few of these and the message I see is REWARD INEPTITUDE & DISINTEREST.

It's OK if you're so clueless and distracted that you can't stay in your own lane or see a truck 100 feet ahead of you!

No problem!

Big Brother, the smart car for stupid people, will save your dumb sorry ass! :fall:

And, of course, need we point out these nannys don't always work properly? My 100% ignored thread about Self Driving Cars 101, is a case in point.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/self-driving-cars-101-a-195354/

·
Registered
845 Posts
I remember reading about auto back up parachutes and skydiving deaths caused by "impact with ground" went UP AFTER they where mandated NOT DOWN as predicted and complacency was the culprit
When England came out with mandatory seat belt laws there was an increase in vehicle/pedestrian accidents.
Turns out drivers felt safer, or at least were able to stay in the seat so they were taking corners faster and weren't watching as much.

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
When England came out with mandatory seat belt laws there was an increase in vehicle/pedestrian accidents.
Turns out drivers felt safer, or at least were able to stay in the seat so they were taking corners faster and weren't watching as much.
and BOTH those Ads show people doing NON driving things that should NOT be done during driving and they are definitely NOT paying enough attention to the task at hand
and IMHO those "aids" are of no use if some one else make a mistake and crash into you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.