GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080909/FREE/809049981/1532/FREE

Cherolet Cobalt XFE
IN FLEET: Aug. 11-25
AS-TESTED PRICE: $16,325
DRIVETRAIN: 2.2-liter I4; FWD, five-speed manual
OUTPUT: 155 hp @ 6,100 rpm, 150 lb-ft @ 4,900 rpm
CURB WEIGHT: 2,780 lb
FUEL ECONOMY (EPA/AW): 29/32.0 mpg

SENIOR EDITOR BOB GRITZINGER: With the XFE, you get low-rolling-resistance tires, an economy-calibrated engine and a fuel-saving 3.74:1 final-drive ratio, which GM says nets a 9 percent fuel-economy improvement. Otherwise, this is essentially the same car Chevrolet sold in 2008 as a bare-bones LS (no power windows or locks, manual tranny, cloth seats) with another $600 slapped on the base price. That's still a good price for a decent entry-level car with niceties such as air conditioning and a quiet ride. As buyers freaked out by fuel prices rush for high-demand Honda Civics and Toyota Corollas, smart buyers will make their way to the Chevy lot for their choice of inexpensive Cobalts.

I wish they would talk more about the new 2.2 vvt 155hp engine - but so far the FE looks pretty darn good!

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Nice mpg numbers! Often the magazine guys thrash on cars, so their observed mpg is low.

The hubcaps are pretty lame...but it won't matter to those that want a cheap car that sips gas I suppose.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I'm glad they got a higher avg fuel economy than the EPA numbers suggest. This makes the XFE look even better at sipping fuel.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
I can't wait until Consumers Report gets their hands on one of these, they'll probably only average 25 mpg with it.

Pretty amazing AW average 32 mpg. I wouldn't mind getting one of these. I think I'd option some power windows and locks however, maybe even cruise control. You're not stuck with an absolute stripper car are you? Last year the XFE model could have quite a few options added as long as you didn't upgrade to a model with the 2.4L or get an automatic you got the XFE model.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
as long as it has a manual tranny and 15" wheels, it is a XFE. So 1LS and 1LT can both have it, but only as a coupe with 1LT. It is way better than the city EPA rating and an easy 40 mpg car on the highway, just keep it at 63 mph.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts