GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lucid CEO/CTO Peter Rawlinson and Powertrain VP, Emad Dlala, share how our relentless focus on efficiency led us to develop an electric motor that doesn't just push the envelope, but tears it wide open.

Its good comparison to the GM motor design :
( dont know how much it changed in Ultium )

·
Registered
175 Posts
Thank you for posting. And thankful for videos playing faster than 1x. Wild guess that Lucid was once considering an induction motor, from how much they talked up the skin issue. But decided on refining for a nice powerful and small permanent magnet rotor. They never got to showing graphs for actual measured efficiency versus brand T and brand P.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
We've got some learning to do.

For decades we have been dealing with making the best choices in ICEs (displacement, number of cylinders, in lines, V configurations, turbo, supercharging, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, Wankels, etc). for whatever task is desired. Now we have to learn the ins and outs of what type, size, quantity, etc. of electric motors for whatever task.

·
Registered
45,286 Posts
We've got some learning to do.

For decades we have been dealing with making the best choices in ICEs (displacement, number of cylinders, in lines, V configurations, turbo, supercharging, 2 stroke, 4 stroke, Wankels, etc). for whatever task is desired. Now we have to learn the ins and outs of what type, size, quantity, etc. of electric motors for whatever task.
That's kind of half the fun for gearheads to learn about tho.

With ICE tho, hydrogen and efuel is still around, so they're not going away entirely.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
That's kind of half the fun for gearheads to learn about tho.

With ICE tho, hydrogen and efuel is still around, so they're not going away entirely.
I look forward to learning the best ways to make electric power.

ICEs burning hydrogen and efuel COULD be viable, but it all comes down to cost. If EVs undercut them by a significant amount, they won't be sticking around.

·
Registered
45,286 Posts
I look forward to learning the best ways to make electric power.

ICEs burning hydrogen and efuel COULD be viable, but it all comes down to cost. If EVs undercut them by a significant amount, they won't be sticking around.
Yeah. I think in 5 years, we'll see the advances made to battery and electric motor technology.

I don't think GM is halting hydrogen development. Nor is Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai.
I do see Clarity, Mirai, and Nexos on the road in CA. But I think CA is the only hydrogen market in the US.
And Porsche is doing its own thing with eFuels. Who knows where that's going to go at this point.

EVs could definitely undercut them. And frankly, hydrogen is really better off for commercial or government vehicles, as they can develop their own infrastructure and maintain them.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Yeah. I think in 5 years, we'll see the advances made to battery and electric motor technology.

I don't think GM is halting hydrogen development. Nor is Honda, Toyota, or Hyundai.
I do see Clarity, Mirai, and Nexos on the road in CA. But I think CA is the only hydrogen market in the US.
And Porsche is doing its own thing with eFuels. Who knows where that's going to go at this point.

EVs could definitely undercut them. And frankly, hydrogen is really better off for commercial or government vehicles, as they can develop their own infrastructure and maintain them.
Hydrogen has dual use possibilities. It can be used to power a fuel cell, in turn powering an EV. Or it can also be burned (cleanly) in an ICEV.

And again hydrogen can have cost issues. You have to produce it (splitting hydrogen from water takes a good deal of energy). And you have to store it under extremely high pressure to get a useful amount. Then there is the cost of the fuel cell (if you're going the EV route).

·
Registered
383 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts