GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Only 1320 built, less than 100 with buckets. Gorgeous.
I have one of those Eldorado / Fleetwood wheel covers on the wall in my shop.
Air suspension has it riding a bit high tho.

Had to pass up on a complete, running '59 Biarritz when I was 16, because I in no way had $1500 disposable dollars at that point. Black with white top & interior.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,441 Posts
I actually like the '60's with the pointy taillights better.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
The 1959 Eldorado is a bit too cliché for my taste, I prefer the 1959 Italian built Pininfarina Eldorado Brougham. It previewed the 1961s

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
‘59 EB sort of previewed the ‘60, and the ‘60 EB previewed the ‘61’s skeg fins.

The bodies were built by Pinnin Farina, but they were designed in Detroit.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
Looks like every other car on the road…

not..

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Most iconic Cadillac ever

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Funny how that happened. Maybe Ghostbusters has something to do with it.
I bet it was on the fins. In my personal experience I started collecting 1:18 scale model cars when I was really young my dad used to get them for me when he would go on business trips. My first 2 was a Lexus LS400 and a Jaguar XJ220, but shortly after I got a 59 Cadillac Eldorado in red. I remember my parents talking fondly of the 59 Cadillac and its rocket like fins. My parents were around back then so they remember those cars quite well. My mom also had a rich uncle who had a 60s Contiental and she always talks about those suicide doors. It's funny how one thing can leave a lasting impression like fins or doors.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Doug Demuro said although he never reviewed a classic-car before he had made an exception for Mercedes 300SL Gullwing because it had been worth it. This and cars as 57' Eldorado Brougham and 63' Stingray Corvette are worth it too without a doubt.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
The 1959 Cadillac was iconic decades before the original Ghostbusters move script was written.
Yes, you're right for everyone but the Cadillac customers. Funny, looking at the '60 model, the fins were not trimmed back that much

·
Registered
590 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,400 Posts
Just jaw dropping gorgeous… Back when a Cadillac was a Cadillac… And the standard of the World. Won’t ever see them like this again.
Yup. Just look at all the detail on that car. And at 19 feet long it's got plenty of room for detail. That must be a Harley Earl creation. And yup, we won't see the likes of that again.

My old man did not like the '59s, probably too ostentatious for his tastes. I always thought they were the coolest things. You're not going to walk up to the wrong car in the parking lot if you're driving a fitty-niner.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts