GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by ponchoman49+Jul 1 2004, 01:28 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ponchoman49 @ Jul 1 2004, 01:28 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-me3head@Jun 30 2004, 01:27 PM
I had a Buick as a rental while my 9-3 was in the shop yesterday.  It was a 2005 Century.  This car has about the worst perceived quality of any car I've recently been in.  The materials and fit/finish screamed CHEAP!!! 

I think that this "quality" thing is a straw man.  I think that most people don't look at the IQS but most people do get into a car and in an instant decide "nice interior!" or "cheap interior!."  Guess which one is Buick and which is Lexus.

On the other hand, the problem with fleet sales is not the fleet sales themselves.  I have had an Neon and Century rentals recently, and both were STRIPPER models.  The Buick had cloth seats, front bench, lousy radio, etc.  Contrast this to the 300, which I beleive is only sold in fleets in the Limited model. 

Rentals are GM's opportunity to show that Toyota guy a GM car because that's what Enterprise has.  Don't blow it by putting him in the lowest trim package.
I agree with this totally. I have rented many GM models such as the Century, LeSabre, Impala, Classic etc. They were all basic models with almost no options. The Buick's radios looked very cheap and low quality, they had the most basic instrumentation, wheel covers instead of alloys, base seats etc. The first thing I thought was, I would never buy one of these like this. The rental companies should equip the cars a little more desirable. [/b][/quote]
Rental companies want their cars to have the basic equipment their customers expect, and they will pay for that. But the rental companies don't really care if GM sells more cars. In fact, they probably like it when sales are down because GM will cut them a better deal just to move cars.

So, GM would basically have to give the rental companies the more expensive models for the basic model price. I guess they could chalk it up to advertising expense. Whether or not it's a good use of advertising dollars is up for debate.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by caprice 511@Jul 2 2004, 03:12 AM
these guys are scared to build any thing . that is the reason we don't have a new camaro to admire . they fear change and relish on ordinary . take the astro van . how many years can you have the same engine , horsepower , and fuel milege numbers , before they can say " i think its time to replace this one :rolleyes:
The Astro is a special case - it really has no competition since the Aerostar died. Are you going to take money away from updating a car in a much more competitive segment to update the Astro so that it remains the number 1 selling mid-size van (in a segment of 1)?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.