GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KALEA HALL The Detroit News
45 minutes ago

Ann Arbor-based Domino's Pizza Inc. is moving to electrify its pizza delivery with the acquisition of more than 800 custom-branded 2023 Chevy Bolt EVs.

More than 100 of the General Motors Co. electric cars are arriving at select franchise and corporate stores throughout the United States this month. An additional 700 will arrive in coming months, the company said, giving Domino's the largest electric pizza delivery fleet in the country. As of now, Michigan Domino's stores will receive 93 EVs, with 49 in the metro Detroit market.
The company did not purchase the entire fleet, spokesperson Danielle Bulger said in a statement, since most of these vehicles were purchased by franchisees.

"We are not retiring gas-powered delivery vehicles right now, as we still have many delivery drivers across the U.S. who use their own vehicles to make deliveries," Bulger said.

Domino's created an interactive map of how many Chevy Bolt EVs are in each state and how many are coming soon at: www.dominos.com/evfleet. The move to electrify the pizza delivery fleet, which Domino's launched in 1960 with the Volkswagen Beetle, is part of the company's goal to reach net-zero carbon emissions by 2050.

“Domino’s has always been on the cutting edge of pizza delivery and electric delivery cars make sense as vehicle technology continues to evolve," Domino's CEO Russell Weiner said in a statement. The company already delivers with electric bikes and/or scooters in 24 international markets, including the U.S.

“We’re excited that Domino’s has chosen the Chevrolet Bolt EV to build their electric pizza delivery fleet in the U.S.,” said Ed Peper, vice president of GM Fleet, in a statement. “Both companies are committed to bettering our environment. GM plans to eliminate tailpipe emissions from new U.S. light duty vehicles by 2035."

Domino’s is partnering with Enterprise Fleet Management for local account management, vehicle acquisition, financing, telematics solutions and maintenance for its EVs.

To promote its move to EVs, Domino’s is launching two giveaways for the chance to win one of two 2023 Chevy Bolt EVs. To enter each giveaway, customers can:
  • Order Domino’s delivery online between Nov. 21, 2022, and Feb. 12, 2023.

LINK

·
Premium Member
37,674 Posts
I get all tingley thinking about pizza and electricity. Should I see my dawktah?

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
5,061 Posts
I get all tingley thinking about pizza and electricity. Should I see my dawktah?
Pizza and electricity are two of the best things about the modern world. You're good - no need to see the dawktah.

·
Registered
4,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Domino's Pizza have 18,848 chainstores worldwide with a few Bolt's EV at each outlet these 800 Bolt EV's sales with it's trunk stuffed full of Pepperoni pizza could snowball to 60,000 worldwide, great to hear some positive news at gm Electric, keep it up.

I can see all the Domino Pizza delivery jobs being phased out, once the Bolts EV becomes fully autonomous level 5. Maybe GM could program the Domino Bolt EV's Uber eats software into Domino Uber taxi service so the be like a good American have 2 jobs when their is a bit slack in pizza orders, Domino Uber taxi service duel function might be a nice little earner in the morning when nobody is eating pizza.

I will start eating Domino pizza in the future now, knowing it's helping gm Electric profits.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Domino's Pizza have 18,848 chainstores worldwide with a few Bolt's EV at each outlet these 800 Bolt EV's sales with it's trunk stuffed full of Pepperoni pizza could snowball to 60,000 worldwide, great to hear some positive news at gm Electric, keep it up.

I can see all the Domino Pizza delivery jobs being phased out, once the Bolts EV becomes fully autonomous level 5. Maybe GM could program the Domino Bolt EV's Uber eats software into Domino Uber taxi service so the be like a good American have 2 jobs when their is a bit slack in pizza orders, Domino Uber taxi service duel function might be a nice little earner in the morning when nobody is eating pizza.

I will start eating Domino pizza in the future now, knowing it's helping gm Electric profits.
Why, their pizza is downright terrible.

·
Registered
8,069 Posts

AFAIK GM dropped plans to build RHD Bolts so the LHD version can't be used in Australia and unlikely to be used in the UK - I believe they were on sale in Norway for a while, badged as Opel Ampera-e

·
Registered
2020 Bolt Premier
1,550 Posts
Versus not buying any vehicle, and having your delivery people use their own cars?

Honestly, isn't that the standard way that pizza delivery works?
You'd have to have absolutely no other options to be a pizza delivery driver nowadays using your own car. Dominoes is seeing this as a better way to compete.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 2015 Chevy Spark EV (wife's car)
5,061 Posts
Dominoes is seeing this as a better way to compete.
+1
The Chevy Bolt fleet vehicle acquisition continues Domino's successful marketing strategy emphasizing delivery, something that Tom Monaghan pioneered when he founded the chain in the 1960s.

Domino's chose other GM products for its delivery vehicle fleet in the past. In 2015, it launched the Chevy Spark based DXP, and in the 1980s Domino's bought Chevy Chevettes. The latter even had die cast models from Ertl:

·
Super Moderator
22,343 Posts
Why, their pizza is downright terrible.
Not as bad as some of the other big pizza delivery chains (Little Ceasars & Papa John's in particular), but otherwise I'd rather spend the extra couple of bucks for considerably better non-chain pizza. Though I'm in CT and the general NY/CT area probably has the best overall pizza in the nation. I used to travel a lot for work - some parts of the country shouldn't be allowed to call what they serve "pizza".

1 - 20 of 46 Posts