GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new on here and was wondering if pontiac and malibu are built on the same platform frame wise? i have a 1997 malibu and was wondering if i could switch some 2005 pontiac grand prix axles onto my malibu without too much mods? if you could let me know that would be great. Thanks beforehand to anyone who replies.

·
Registered
836 Posts
Doubt it, the 97 Malibu was on the N body platform, and the 05 Grand Prix was on the W body platform. And with that much of a time difference there would probably be different fittings and such, but I would wait to see other answers too, I'm no mechanic

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
GM cars on the same platform often don't have interchangeable parts.

But you've got the best chance of getting parts off another N-body car like a Grand Am, Achieva, Alero, or Skylark.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
if i really wanted to could i put the suspension/axles on the malibu from the pontiac tho with some modifications? or would it be too much work? i think it could be done but i would like other ppls opinions first......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
ok but could i swap a GTP motor into the malibu? what modifications should i do to the malibu suspension/axles? i am wondering if i should just start with a GTP lol but i want to use the malibu if i can and i don't care so much for the grand prix looks........also what if i were to refabricate the frame so i could use the GTP suspension/axles? is it possible or am i just dreaming lol?

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
ok but could i swap a GTP motor into the malibu? what modifications should i do to the malibu suspension/axles? i am wondering if i should just start with a GTP lol but i want to use the malibu if i can and i don't care so much for the grand prix looks........also what if i were to refabricate the frame so i could use the GTP suspension/axles? is it possible or am i just dreaming lol?
There would be no way you could fit the supercharged 3.8 into a N body malibu. the most powerful engine avalible for the Malibu (assuming you have an LS grade car) was the 3.1 liter V6 which is good for 170 horses. However you can swap the 3.4 liter engine into it but that will only give you 200 horsepower and is only recommended for cars that are being rebuilt due to the cost and the modifications needed to fit it in. Also the stock tranny in the bu will not be able to handle the extra horsepower from the supercharged engine. As for the suspension and axle swap I forsee problems with driveability. The main thing you can do to the 3.1 is to improve air intake. buying a K&n filter and after market exhausts are a great start

·
Registered
6,295 Posts
Malibu/Cutlass were loosely the basis fir the Grand am/Alero. Am I incorrect? If not then loosely means, basic undercarraige components only. BASIC

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
ok thanks for all the help.....i think i am just going to sell the car and go for gold either a firebird or a camaro:D

two great choices i wish you luck on your search

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
thanks guys. I will post once i have bought the new car and sold my reliable malibu.....i almost don't want to part with it cuz it's been soo reliable but i want performance.....:(
I'm in the same boat as you My bu has been a reliable car and it has helped me get some good spyshots but in the long run i want something that's a little more fun to drive so it will be tough to let it go when the time comes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.