GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '04 Z85 Colorado and am wondering if it comes w/ gas shocks as standard equipment.

Chevy's website mentions the ZQ8 (Sport) truck having monotube shocks, maybe they're gas, and I don't know / don't care about the Z71, but am thinking about getting some aftermarket shocks (Bilstein's) to help control the 'pogo-ing' I get on some of our local roads.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
thx LM... do you think aftermarket shocks just be another example of 'modification fever' or something worth a 2-300 dollar experiment?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by LakeMichigan@Jun 21 2004, 03:17 PM
I recall once an old time dealer mechanic spouting that gas shocks would ruin the ride quality of a good car (we are talking RWD Cadillac's here)...I always think the larger the shock, the better...but I'm no expert in aftermarket modifications/upgrades :(
With shocks, packets of gas are used to keep the shocks from fading under heavy use. When a shock heats up under heavy use, the fluid mixes with the air in the shock (that's there to allow the pistion shaft to enter the cylinder) and causes the fluid to aerate, losing it's viscosity and making the shock ineffective. With the gas in a separate part of the cylinder, when the shock heats up, the gas expands, putting pressure on the fluid and preventing it from aerating.

This is typically used to allow a softer shock than would normally be used because you wouldn't have to put as stiff of valves in it to allow for some fading, but by itself, I'm not sure the gas would have much effect on the normal ride of a vehicle when the shocks are running normal temperatures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All,
Found on "Dealerworld" that the Z85 does NOT have gas charged shocks, they're just hydraulic. The Z71 and ZQ8 have Bilstein's, and after speaking directly to Bilstein found that their gas shoch for hte Z85 should be out 'in 6 to 8 months'...

Both from the horse's mouth...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts