GM Inside News Forum banner

Should Chevrolet Field A Ford Maverick Competitor?

• Yes of course, I LUV the idea.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • No thanks.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • How about a compact El Camino EV?

Votes: 11 27.5%
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
They were.............. I actually saw one on the Ford lot Saturday.

From Ford's December Sales Report:

Ford’s all-new Maverick sales totaled 6,030 in December –up 134 percent from November, while turning on dealer lots in just 4 days. The Maverick Hybrid sold 2,159. Combined Ford pickups totaled 75,518 in December, with 225,974 sold in the fourth quarter, outselling all of GM’s pickups combined.
The one they got down here didn't last more than about three or four days.

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
475 Posts
Actually no. The main reason is that my city doesn't have a Honda dealer or Hyundai dealer.
I'm not going to buy any vehicle I would need to take to another city (30+ miles away) for warranty or recall or any service that is only available from the dealer.
this....

one of the main reasons I went with an F150. Ford dealer is in almost every small town. Between road trips, towing the rv on trips to remote places, and checking on my parents who live in the middle of nowhere in the PA mountains, owning certain brands could really leave you in a situation if things go wrong and there is no dealer service support close by.

Speaking of parents who live in the sticks, I wonder how road trips will work in an all electric future. you pack the family up for the holidays to visit the parents, and then you plug into a standard wall socket with an orange extension cord when you get there and pray you get enough juice to make it back home after? And hope no other family visits that needs to plug in also.

Im just not convinced everyone is going to buy in to going EV. there is still going to be an ICE and hybrid buyer for a good while. thats where i think the timing on the mav was genius. not to mention ford stock has been a winner lately.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I knew this would be a hit. All one has to do is think about the typical truck owner and the limitations of current trucks being too big, expensive, thirsty and BOF will never lend itself to crisp handling

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
I knew this would be a hit. All one has to do is think about the typical truck owner and the limitations of current trucks being too big, expensive, thirsty and BOF will never lend itself to crisp handling
It has character, utility and low operating costs. It's a different drive too

·
Registered
590 Posts
The one they got down here didn't last more than about three or four days.
No surprise, I thought originally the Maverick would be a joke. Joke was on me, turned out to be a great product.

I have yet to see one in the wild.

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
No surprise, I thought originally the Maverick would be a joke. Joke was on me, turned out to be a great product.

I have yet to see one in the wild.
I saw one this eve turning in to the same shopping complex I was headed to. I tried to see which way it went once in so as to drive by it and check it out, but by the time it was my lights turn I'd lost track of it... oh well.

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
I have seen both Maverick and the Hyundai version out in the wild in Canada I like the FORD for what it is
I saw a new Hyundai Santa Cruz yesterday while taking my mother to pick up an Olive Garden Take out order. I pointed it out to her and asked her what she thought of it. She said "it's nice, but it has a mighty small bed". Yeah it does. But it's not for those folks needing a real truck I told her. Also They have a Colorado crew cab ZR2 so they're used to a "smaller" bed than the Ford F250 LB Super Duty they traded on it. :) Edit: FWIW I like both the Maverick and the Santa Cruz but for slightly different reasons in each.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have seen both Maverick and the Hyundai version out in the wild in Canada I like the FORD for what it is
Yup, I think Ford got the styling right. The Hyundai is a bit odd to my eyes.

·
Registered
260 Posts
"Blockbuster" does not describe the success of the Maverick. People laughed when Ford said they were getting out of the car business. No one is laughing now.

-----------------------------------------------

You've heard of house flipping? Welcome to the automotive version (Not even 4WD!).
Flipping cars is a bad thing....brings the po-po, higher insurance premiums, personal injury lawyers....oh, wait....nvm.

I still think being a truck/suv-only company means you're going to lose customers. The people who owned a Focus or Taurus or Fusion, unless they're willing to pay a higher price for essentially the same car, might not be in the market for an SUV/Truck.....so now Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, etc., are all laughing at Ford for giving them customers. And, with the MachE getting a recall right out of the gate, let's see what happens with the latest unproven Golden Calf from Ford's Quality is Job Wha....???

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Flipping cars is a bad thing....brings the po-po, higher insurance premiums, personal injury lawyers....oh, wait....nvm.

I still think being a truck/suv-only company means you're going to lose customers. The people who owned a Focus or Taurus or Fusion, unless they're willing to pay a higher price for essentially the same car, might not be in the market for an SUV/Truck.....so now Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Hyundai, etc., are all laughing at Ford for giving them customers. And, with the MachE getting a recall right out of the gate, let's see what happens with the latest unproven Golden Calf from Ford's Quality is Job Wha....???
Didn't GM just do the same thing as Ford (no more cars)? and let us not talk about the Bolt fires

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Didn't GM just do the same thing as Ford (no more cars)? and let us not talk about the Bolt fires
Welp, the Malibu is hanging-on, by a thread, but yes; same thing Chrysler basically did a few years before that......

There is a place for "cars" but you can't ignore the shift, even if some of it was self-fulfilling.

·
Registered
13,777 Posts
Welp, the Malibu is hanging-on, by a thread, but yes; same thing Chrysler basically did a few years before that......

There is a place for "cars" but you can't ignore the shift, even if some of it was self-fulfilling.
Of course it's what they seem to want. Offer up "half baked" product where they fail to sweat the details needed to make them truly competitive in today's market conditions. Then they wonder why the pubic mostly shuns them, and moves on to the content and performance worthy import brands (Reputation-wise too.) Now that I've had my Equinox SUV for a year I've noticed similar things along the way where they could have done better, but wont get into that. (Nothing worth tossing it though.) I just wish that they could truly do class leading, sweat the details product instead of the usual "just good enough" BS. I also fear for some of these new electrics that they could go the same way and then OUCH 😑 not be their "saviors" so to speak. ....end rant🧐.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts