GM Inside News Forum banner

Should Chevrolet Field A Ford Maverick Competitor?

• Yes of course, I LUV the idea.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • No thanks.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • How about a compact El Camino EV?

Votes: 11 27.5%
41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
But isn't the Hybrid delayed? Those may be selling but it the regular models that are being delivered and driven.
I for one am eyeing the Maverick and not a hybrid model. The size is right for my needs. The times I need more space I'll hitch up my utility trailer.
I simply don't want to daily drive more than I will ever need 98% of the time. Longer makes it more difficult to maneuver in traffic and park in lots.
And at least Ford offers something other than a black interior like the Colorado.
Are you considering the Ridgeline and the Hyundai too?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,777 Posts
But isn't the Hybrid delayed? Those may be selling but it the regular models that are being delivered and driven.
I for one am eyeing the Maverick and not a hybrid model. The size is right for my needs. The times I need more space I'll hitch up my utility trailer.
I simply don't want to daily drive more than I will ever need 98% of the time. Longer makes it more difficult to maneuver in traffic and park in lots.
And at least Ford offers something other than a black interior like the Colorado.
And the thing is too, if you need covered space they probably do bed covers and toppers so it's almost as good as the small SUV.

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Yeah, and we spray updates in a month across the entire line up.. walla… magic
Yes, the trucks get the interior they should have got 4 years ago!

Reactions: Extreme4x4

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
Yes, the trucks get the interior they should have got 4 years ago!
whaaat? They didn’t.. the interior they are repacing is still more technologically more advanced than Sync 4 by Windows.. my windows still drops Bluetooth…

·
Registered
976 Posts
I’d rather GM keep focusing on EVs rather than following Ford into segments that have limited appeal and where GM will always play second fiddle if they do pursue.
Keep in mind that Ford completely dropped the ball in the fast growing subcompact SUV segment that GM has dominated from the start. Also, Ford continues to play catch-up with the full-sized SUV segment where GM also has a head start on electric versions with a platform ready to go.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
I’d rather GM keep focusing on EVs rather than following Ford into segments that have limited appeal and where GM will always play second fiddle if they do pursue.
Keep in mind that Ford completely dropped the ball in the fast growing subcompact SUV segment that GM has dominated from the start. Also, Ford continues to play catch-up with the full-sized SUV segment where GM also has a head start on electric versions with a platform ready to go.
Remember how Ford wasted money on Rivian investment, creating a competitor for themselves?

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
whaaat? They didn’t.. the interior they are replacing is still more technologically more advanced than Sync 4 by Windows.. my windows still drops Bluetooth…
I'm not comparing the 2019+ interior to your 10 year old Ford, I'm comparing it to a 2018 GM Truck............

But no, I doubt it, they didn't even have wireless CarPlay!

Remember how Ford wasted money on Rivian investment, creating a competitor for themselves?
Yeah, stupid Ford, invest 500 million and have it only be worth 10 billion............. "clowns"

What a "waste of money"...................

Reactions: steve333

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
I'm not comparing the 2019+ interior to your 10 year old Ford, I'm comparing it to a 2018 GM Truck............

But no, I doubt it, they didn't even have wireless CarPlay!

Yeah, stupid Ford, invest 500 million and have it only be worth 10 billion............. "clowns"

What a "waste of money"...................
Yeah, I am certain, Ford is in the business of stock trading other automakers While trying to develop Lincoln’s off their platforms..

My 10 Year old Ford has Windows 3, it has android auto, but has trouble keeping blue teeth connected

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
Yeah, I am certain, Ford is in the business of stock trading other automakers While trying to develop Lincoln’s off their platforms.
Right, who thinks they did it for a stock trade? You are smarter than that, no? 🤡

GM must have invested in Cruise for a stock trade too, right? 🤡

It was a hedge to buy into an EV makers platform, if the only thing they get out of it is 9.5 billion, you will call it a fail? 🤡

My 10 Year old Ford has Windows 3, it has android auto, but has trouble keeping blue teeth connected
Then why are you dogging Sync 4, I know you other cars still have blue LCD displays! 🤡

I bet it's your phone, not the car/system; I never had an issue with my Fusion.

Reactions: Extreme4x4

·
Registered
19,658 Posts
I'd say Rivian was going to happen with or without Ford via the other very deep pocketed investors, such as Amazon. At least this way Ford gets a piece of the action....

I think their original Lincoln plans shows what Ford's thinking of BEV was at the time vs. when they realized they need to go all-in.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Ford invested their resources on developing the Bronco and Maverick and that will work out pretty good for them now. GM invested their resources in developing a whole new electric platform and battery system that can be used to quickly develop different types of vehicles. With 25-30 new electric vehicles with very good real world range coming out in the next couple of years, I think GM has bet on the future and I think Ford may be the one playing catch up while they develop a similar system. If the platform is as versatile at GM has hinted, then bringing out an electric small pickup will be pretty easy and could probably be done pretty quickly. But I think GM's focus on getting popular electric SUV's and pickups out ASAP is the right way to go.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Yeah, I am certain, Ford is in the business of stock trading other automakers While trying to develop Lincoln’s off their platforms..

Sync4 fixes many Blue Tooth issues of Sync3. Try comparing 10 year old GM technology when you are comparing PLEASE

But you mention nothing of "Ford Pass", you know the Free App that connects you phone to your Vehicle. You know the App that supplies twice the functions of Basic OnStar without the $15 Monthly Fee.

Lets not even get into Standard Accident Avoidance Features, 91% of Ford's product vs 56% of GM's

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Maverick is selling because it is reasonably priced and hybrid. If it were all EV it wouldn't sell as well.
GM needs to do hybrids but they are too stupid to consider it.
Agreed...one of the guys here at work ordered the Hybrid and he's typically an import buyer. The hybrid has the right price, good mileage and great utility. Whats not to like?

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Agreed...one of the guys here at work ordered the Hybrid and he's typically an import buyer. The hybrid has the right price, good mileage and great utility. Whats not to like?
Around here, the only thing "Not to Like" is Hybrid is only available in FWD.

Other than that, our first Stock Maverick,(and only Maverick so far) lasted a total of 39 minutes on Ground.

·
Premium Member
6,337 Posts
I think underestimating the appeal of the Maverick is akin to underestimating the appeal of CUV's. It is flexibility. In a single vehicle, you can accomplish many things without the shortcomings of sedans, and the shortcomings that full size SUV's and trucks have. GM was late on the CUV front, and seems to be non existent on the small truck front.

I have no doubts that they may come up with a EV small truck. However, by the nature of what they are doing, this will limit appeal and price considerations. So many, in the quest to EV everything, forget that for a large portion of the population, charging a vehicle at home or at work is a non starter. I always bring up my rural location as an example of what city dwellers never think of. We have an 8 bank Tesla charging station in town. Even on the busiest days, and my town is a destination, and a drive through to many other destinations, there are 3 cars charging at most. Few take the chance of bringing an electric up here. There are too many what ifs.

·
Premium Member
35,334 Posts
Sync4 fixes many Blue Tooth issues of Sync3. Try comparing 10 year old GM technology when you are comparing PLEASE

But you mention nothing of "Ford Pass", you know the Free App that connects you phone to your Vehicle. You know the App that supplies twice the functions of Basic OnStar without the $15 Monthly Fee.

Lets not even get into Standard Accident Avoidance Features, 91% of Ford's product vs 56% of GM's
Lol, I should have guessed, A Ford Biden voter…

·
Registered
855 Posts
Are you considering the Ridgeline and the Hyundai too?
Actually no. The main reason is that my city doesn't have a Honda dealer or Hyundai dealer.
I'm not going to buy any vehicle I would need to take to another city (30+ miles away) for warranty or recall or any service that is only available from the dealer.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Actually no. The main reason is that my city doesn't have a Honda dealer or Hyundai dealer.
I'm not going to buy any vehicle I would need to take to another city (30+ miles away) for warranty or recall or any service that is only available from the dealer.
I'm in a similar situation. I have GM (minus Cadillac), Ford, and CDJR dealers in the area. Anything else is 45+ miles away. This is part of what has kept us in our current vehicles for the last couple of years.

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
They were.............. I actually saw one on the Ford lot Saturday.

From Ford's December Sales Report:

Ford’s all-new Maverick sales totaled 6,030 in December –up 134 percent from November, while turning on dealer lots in just 4 days. The Maverick Hybrid sold 2,159. Combined Ford pickups totaled 75,518 in December, with 225,974 sold in the fourth quarter, outselling all of GM’s pickups combined.

Reactions: 1958carnut
41 - 60 of 76 Posts