GM Inside News Forum banner

Should Chevrolet Field A Ford Maverick Competitor?

• Yes of course, I LUV the idea.

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • No thanks.

Votes: 6 15.0%
  • How about a compact El Camino EV?

Votes: 11 27.5%
21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
21,687 Posts
GM is a "Tech Company" remember! They don't need to build Vehicles that Consumers want.
Maybe GM should make a NFT Maverick, then people could just pretend to drive around in one!
- Great Idea, Zero-Zero-Zero for the win!

GM is yet to answer the Transit, well, they have with bright drop, but its not as versatile, I don't think
And they won't, they gave up, Brightdrop is it........... :poop:

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
GM recognizes that vehicles are going to be used differently beyond tuning into your PBS station via AM radio.

They literally are on the leading edge at this point with Ultifi and google integration.
The Leading Edge of WHAT?

So every vehicle on Dealers Lots will have Google in 2025, but that doesn't put them in Consumers Garages!

Alexa is in Ford now

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Is that bed < 4 ft long? They had the BK to deal with, I guess
Its definitely a short bed! I've seen larger trunks on compact cars, but the concept should have spawned a production model. If I remember correctly, it was around that time that GM had looked at bringing the Holden Maloo here to the states as well? I think the failure of the SSR doomed these types of vehicles as far as GM was concerned.

Wheel Tire Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

·
Registered
4,840 Posts
They could have used a small pickup like this, but as in many cases, GM is late to the party.
By the time they were to develop one and get it on sale, the market will have moved much more toward pure EV's.

If they want to profit off of one now...Start Development NOW, get a production-ready concept shown by the end of this year and start it on sale in less than 2 years from today...as a pure EV.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
No reason why this should not be resurrected on the Lyriq bones
I would imagine we will see something with Ultium, hopefully it won't be priced like a Lyric. The Maverick is a homerun because its reasonably priced alternative to whats available. We don't need anymore $100k priced 1st edition models. Halo vehicles are nice, but GM needs to give some love to the core market.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Maybe GM should make a NFT Maverick, then people could just pretend to drive around in one!
- Great Idea, Zero-Zero-Zero for the win!

And they won't, they gave up, Brightdrop is it........... :poop:
That is so true it isn’t even funny.

Lets talk about what GM doesn’t have…
  • Maverick/Santa Cruz competitor (likely under Chevrolet badge)
  • Bronco/Wrangler/4Runner BOF midsize SUV competitor (likely under GMC badge) (would have stopped my family from buying a new 4Runner in 2013, ultimately became my Yukon so it worked out for GM)
  • Nice refreshed LaCrosse (like one in China with a 3.6L LGX and nine speed) for one single large FWD car that they should have
  • Nice refreshed Cruze (like the one they took away with 1.5T I4)
  • Bronco Sport competitor (likely 1.5T I4, under GMC badge)
  • Add the 1.5T I4 as an upgrade option in Encore GX and Trailblazer and make the larger 1.3T 3 pot the base, get rid of the gutless 1.2T 3 pot.

They should kill the Spark… And why that was kept with the Cruze/LaX disco’d was beyond me. Those are cars sold in other regions and people do still do buy some cars, those along with the Malibu, CT4 and CT5 would give GM small, medium and large FWD sedans under appropriate brands (2 Chevrolet and 1 Buick) plus the Cadillacs.

However, I have been screaming for a 4Runner competitior since the GMT-360 went away. We got close it appears as a GMC a few years back but was killed before it saw the light of day apparently some at the Wentzville plant saw it as it was a Colorado/Canyon based SUV. (I would have been very interested in that and would love a photo of if in the flesh.)

·
Registered
21,687 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Maverick is selling because it is reasonably priced and hybrid. If it were all EV it wouldn't sell as well.
GM needs to do hybrids but they are too stupid to consider it.
But isn't the Hybrid delayed? Those may be selling but it the regular models that are being delivered and driven.
I for one am eyeing the Maverick and not a hybrid model. The size is right for my needs. The times I need more space I'll hitch up my utility trailer.
I simply don't want to daily drive more than I will ever need 98% of the time. Longer makes it more difficult to maneuver in traffic and park in lots.
And at least Ford offers something other than a black interior like the Colorado.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts