GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Think about it, if they merge most of Chysler will die meaning alot of domestic fans will be looking for another auto maker. They could easily be mad at GM for killing their favorite brands so where else would they go?

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Ford will get some sales.

But there's no way to tell WHERE a discontinued car's buyers will go.

Heck, angry Olds buyers went to Lexus more than anywhere else.

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
I would say Ford picks up 1/3 of all Chrysler sales
by "Ford" do you mean Fomoco in general?
naturally,
I'd recommend Mercury in specific :)
it'd be great if they could somehow show/advert VOGA interior pix next to Mopar ones ....without appearing to pick on them ;)

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
GM has no plans on killing the brands, so if GM can manage to keep the Chrysler brands alive with GM platforms and powertrains, that would mean less sales for Ford.

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GM has no plans on killing the brands, so if GM can manage to keep the Chrysler brands alive with GM platforms and powertrains, that would mean less sales for Ford.
There is no way GM can manage 11 brands...heck they cant even manage 8 as it is.!

·
Premium Member
8,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by "Ford" do you mean Fomoco in general?
naturally,
I'd recommend Mercury in specific :)
it'd be great if they could somehow show/advert VOGA interior pix next to Mopar ones ....without appearing to pick on them ;)
I guess Chysler brand people would be kinda in turn to what Mercury offers. Like PT owners could go to Mercury's small car. Dodge buyers would go to Ford though.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
Think about it, if they merge most of Chysler will die meaning alot of domestic fans will be looking for another auto maker. They could easily be mad at GM for killing their favorite brands so where else would they go?
I for one will never buy a Ford... even if they were the only Detroit manufacture left. In fact if GM cancels the STS and fails to bring out a new car in this space I will be off to MB or Lexus. It will be the first car that I buy that wasn't made in America (not counting my Allante).

Oldsmobile and Plymouth both PROVED that if a North America brand dies the domestics lose ALL of the customers to Japan or Europe... 100%

·
Premium Member
4,208 Posts
I think a more accurate way to put it is that GM sales would increase by default, due to larger market share, while Ford sales would remain largely unchanged in the short term (at least in direct response to the merger; the economy in general is a different story). In other words, the immediate effect of this merger is that two of the Big Three are going to be one company. This doesn't necessarily mean that the third company is instantly and adversely affected.

Another way to look at the merger is in terms of revenue. High revenue doesn't necessarily mean high profits. High revenue only translates into high profits if liabilities are kept in check. Given the fact that a single company comprised of GM and Chrysler would be far larger than either GM or Chrysler alone, I imagine that handling all of the liabilities and fixed assets is going to be tremendously challenging in the effort to make the company more efficient (compared to the task of doing the same with either company alone). I don't know what Chrysler's position is in this thing, but for GM's sake I think they ultimately have more to lose than to gain from this merger. After all, if some brands end up getting dropped with the merger, why can't GM do this on their own without the merger?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I guess Chrysler brand people would be kinda in turn to what Mercury offers. Like PT owners could go to Mercury's small car. Dodge buyers would go to Ford though.
Having previously owned two Chrysler products the 300M and Concorde. Like you said Mercury is very similar to what Chrysler offers the only thing I liked more about my Chrysler's than my Mercury's was the overall ride quality in my opinion the ride was just quieter and had a bit more float (which I enjoy in a car). But it has been several years since I have drove or rode in a new Chrysler so I can't say much about the newer models but my Sable and Grand Marquis offer excellent ride quality.

But back to the main subject I could definitely see Ford getting a lot Chrysler's former customers. (If indeed this merger actually happens and Chrysler gets the axe)

Chrysler buyers would go to Mercury and Lincoln.
Dodge buyers would to Ford maybe some going to Mercury.

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
I for one will never buy a Ford... even if they were the only Detroit manufacture left. In fact if GM cancels the STS and fails to bring out a new car in this space I will be off to MB or Lexus. It will be the first car that I buy that wasn't made in America (not counting my Allante).

Oldsmobile and Plymouth both PROVED that if a North America brand dies the domestics lose ALL of the customers to Japan or Europe... 100%
I'm curious............. you would have no interest in a MKR???

BTW, Olds and Plymouth buyers are completely different than Dodge truck buyers. I could see many of them going to Ford. They are very pro American, and would be furious at GM.................. to the point that they would buy a Ford to spite GM.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
I'm curious............. you would have no interest in a MKR???

BTW, Olds and Plymouth buyers are completely different than Dodge truck buyers. I could see many of them going to Ford. They are very pro American, and would be furious at GM.................. to the point that they would buy a Ford to spite GM.
MKR is a smaller vehicle... around the size of a CTS, and will be priced similarly. MKS is pretty close to the STS.

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
That is soo true. A lot of old people went out and brought Lexuses than other marque.

Very true, I'm loyal to GM and only GM... I will never buy a Ford or a Chrysler, regardless of the merger. And if GM can't meet my needs then I will be shopping at a foreign manufacture.

Every time you shut down a division or a dealer you FORCE formally loyal customers to go shopping. Sure some might go to Ford.. But most won't.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts