GM Inside News Forum banner
141 - 153 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
The Impala was a terrific car. Anyone who wanted a full-size family hauling car really couldn't make a better choice. But people just don't want them. I really don't know what GM could have done here.

The SS was a tremendous performance sedan. And no one knew about it. GM really just didn't seem to care. Maybe it was like the GTO and G8, where I think it's is said that the exchange rate between US and Australian dollars doomed the car to lose money. It's a shame. The SS could have been more visually interesting, but some sort of advertising at just how good that car was might have helped. A better name (Chevelle?) might have helped too.
Impala was saddled by it's name...prior to the 2014(?) Impala, it symbolized full size mediocrity since 1999...One good generation in 15 years can't immediately spark sales. Maybe it would've done better had it been named something else. or maybe the 2000-2014 Impala should've been named something else.

In the automotive world reputation = perception, and it also didn't help that it was a fleet darling despite GMs attempts to keep it from being one. Most Impalas seen on the road look like this:

and before that, you had 10 years of looking at this:

and before that 5 years of looking at this:

Next time you're out and about, pay attention to the Impalas you see, they're almost always, silver white or black and fleet spec. Something that when spotted on the road never conveys the feeling "Damn I need to get one of those"...we always talk about advertising, but the best advertisement is seeing it on the street, does it generate that "I want one" feeling?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Impala was saddled by it's name...prior to the 2014(?) Impala, it symbolized full size mediocrity since 1999...One good generation in 15 years can't immediately spark sales. Maybe it would've done better had it been named something else. or maybe the 2000-2014 Impala should've been named something else.

In the automotive world reputation = perception, and it also didn't help that it was a fleet darling despite GMs attempts to keep it from being one. Most Impalas seen on the road look like this:

View attachment 64116
View attachment 64117

View attachment 64118

Next time you're out and about, pay attention to the Impalas you see, they're almost always, silver white or black and fleet spec. Something that when spotted on the road never conveys the feeling "Damn I need to get one of those"...we always talk about advertising, but the best advertisement is seeing it on the street, does it generate that "I want one" feeling?
That car (last gen Impala) probably is in the top 3 rates cars on Consumer reports. It beat just about any other car you can name. I think the priority went to CUV's. Too bad. GM did everything right above the base trim level

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
That car (last gen Impala) probably is in the top 3 rates cars on Consumer reports. It beat just about any other car you can name. I think the priority went to CUV's. Too bad. GM did everything right above the base trim level
Right...but people don't read consumer reports...people see what's on the street, and if all GM puts on the street is rental spec silver Impalas...it's not going to spur anyone to head over to take a look at one.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Not sure exactly what you mean, if you think they look very similar or not. Mocking or serious?

I'm not alone in thinking that the 5th and 6th gen cars look very similar, and I'm not exactly a casual observer. Someone I'm sure will trot out the, "Gee, you must really needs glasses" tripe. But when the 6th gen came out, I often mistook it at a glance for a 5th, and visa versa. Other people have said the same. If people can't instantly tell that it's an all-new car (which of course under the skin it is), then that is a design failure. Period.
Mostly mocking with a splash of seriousness.

I share the same view as you ksr about the 5th and 6th gen.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

View attachment 64116
View attachment 64117

View attachment 64118

Personally, I liked the version of Impala in burgundy above. And it actually was well-reviewed. Really, both those prior versions you show, while maybe kind of boring, weren't badly reviewed cars at all. Unlike with the 1997, 2004, and 2013 Malibu, Chevy really didn't drop the ball so much on the Impala. People just don't want big sedans anymore. They don't want many sedans at all.

Yeah, you're right about them all being silver, black, or white. Or gray. How does that differ from every other vehicle on the road? For reasons I'll never understand, those are the colors that people want. I think they account for something like 75% of all vehicles.

The last Impala was a great vehicle. It got great reviews. You're absolutely right that it takes a while to defeat the old reputation. But seriously, how many full size cars from any manufacturer are you seeing out there? It was just the right car at the wrong time. People just don't want them. You can name it and advertise it however you want, and buyers are still going to walk right past it to the SUV/CUV sitting nearby.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,637 Posts
Personally, I liked the version of Impala in burgundy above. And it actually was well-reviewed. Really, both those prior versions you show, while maybe kind of boring, weren't badly reviewed cars at all. Unlike with the 1997, 2004, and 2013 Malibu, Chevy really didn't drop the ball so much on the Impala. People just don't want big sedans anymore. They don't want many sedans at all.

Yeah, you're right about them all being silver, black, or white. Or gray. How does that differ from every other vehicle on the road? For reasons I'll never understand, those are the colors that people want. I think they account for something like 75% of all vehicles.

The last Impala was a great vehicle. It got great reviews. You're absolutely right that it takes a while to defeat the old reputation. But seriously, how many full size cars from any manufacturer are you seeing out there? It was just the right car at the wrong time. People just don't want them. You can name it and advertise it however you want, and buyers are still going to walk right past it to the SUV/CUV sitting nearby.
Yes, and I feel the last one they tried to at least give it some pizazz and keep the look in line with previous generations. I think the last one was the best of all of them.

·
Registered
70 Posts

View attachment 64116
View attachment 64117

View attachment 64118

That second Impala is so bland

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
Widebody Challengers are so sexy.
Sad part for Chevrolet is that I bet there are more widebody Challengers on the road than 6th Gen SSs, at least it looks like that is the case around my parts....if not then I bet it's closer than GM would like to admit.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I got a haircut today and saw one of the stone cold beautiful stylists from the hair salon get into her black Camaro. It looked good on her and the car looked good with her in it. Helped the Camaro's image

141 - 153 of 153 Posts