GM Inside News Forum banner
101 - 120 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
Exactly. Perception vs reality. To say you cannot see traffic is pure BS, Maybe you can't see turtles next to the car or seagulls flying overhead but good grief!!! Learn to drive, people. And if that is a stretch, you can avail yourself of rear vision camera, blindspot warning and a host of other nannies. Must be a ton of claustrophobic folks out there. Conclusive proof is that there are thousands of Camaros out on the streets and apparently accident statistics over the last 10 years are not significantly out of line with any large greenhouse window vehicle. It if were, NHTSA would be all over it.
Really, really weary of the "gun slit" window comments. Maybe those who have these issues would be happy with a 1975 AMC Pacer in good condition.
The rear vision camera illuminates how much is blocked, but I have yet to find a situation where I like to use it, hard to describe.

"apparently accident statistics over the last 10 years are not significantly out of line with any large greenhouse window vehicle"

"Apparently" so, you don't know? Are you trying to argue the visibility out of the Camaro is on par with other vehicles?

Do you have the current Blazer?
What is functionally "wrong" with it?
You should have read the rest of my comments, but I'll elaborate...............

As I stated, I drive with the seat all the way up, so I can lean my elbow on the window ledge, but when I do that the center console is absurdly low and then when sitting that high, the dash blocks part of the HVAC display, so much so that, I can't read the temperature.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Exactly. Perception vs reality. To say you cannot see traffic is pure BS, Maybe you can't see turtles next to the car or seagulls flying overhead but good grief!!! Learn to drive, people. And if that is a stretch, you can avail yourself of rear vision camera, blindspot warning and a host of other nannies. Must be a ton of claustrophobic folks out there. Conclusive proof is that there are thousands of Camaros out on the streets and apparently accident statistics over the last 10 years are not significantly out of line with any large greenhouse window vehicle. It if were, NHTSA would be all over it.
Really, really weary of the "gun slit" window comments. Maybe those who have these issues would be happy with a 1975 AMC Pacer in good condition.

I owned a 5th gen and have rented a 6th on vacation. The stuff about poor visibility mostly comes from people who haven't driven them. Really as soon as you're behind the wheel, you realize that you can see everything.

I didn't buy a 6th gen mainly because of the high beltline. Don't hate it, just don't love it. But vision just isn't a problem. As has been mentioned though, the difficulty of driving with your arm sitting comfortablly on the window edge is an annoyance.

I guess some of my favorite GM cars have always been sports coupes that share chassis with a Camaro. Pontiac Fireibird. Cadillac ATS. Cadillac got it right. The Camaro should have copied the ATS beltline.

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
I owned a 5th gen and have rented a 6th on vacation. The stuff about poor visibility mostly comes from people who haven't driven them. Really as soon as you're behind the wheel, you realize that you can see everything.

I didn't buy a 6th gen mainly because of the high beltline. Don't hate it, just don't love it. But vision just isn't a problem. As has been mentioned though, the difficulty of driving with your arm sitting comfortably on the window edge is an annoyance.

I guess some of my favorite GM cars have always been sports coupes that share chassis with a Camaro. Pontiac Fireibird. Cadillac ATS. Cadillac got it right. The Camaro should have copied the ATS beltline.
And like the Camaro/ATS (CT4) comparison, I don't believe the XT5, Acadia, Traverse or Enclave have these "uncharacteristically high belt-line" doors.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
It seems i see commercials for the Dodge Challengers and Chargers daily. When's the last time you saw a commercial for a Camaro? Add in the lack of options for the Camaro and its just not a fair comparison. The Camaro is the red-headed step child plain and simple and they are just waiting for it to leave the nest. Besides, GM has its hands full making special edition trucks and SUV's with black wheels and sticker packages.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
It seems i see commercials for the Dodge Challengers and Chargers daily. When's the last time you saw a commercial for a Camaro? Add in the lack of options for the Camaro and its just not a fair comparison. The Camaro is the red-headed step child plain and simple and they are just waiting for it to leave the nest. Besides, GM has its hands full making special edition trucks and SUV's with black wheels and sticker packages.
It's very telling with GM when it's management falls out of love with a car or didn't widely support it's creation. 4th Gen Fbody got zero ads for it after 1998 (and they had some pretty cool ones like the R/A Trans Am eating an exotic). Don't recall any adds for the GTO ever. Certainly nothing for the SS Sedan. Not even sure Lutz's Kappa roadsters got any attention. And the CT4/5 are 2 years in and GM pretends they don't exist, nor acknowledge 6th gen of it's probably 2nd best known nameplate.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
It's very telling with GM when it's management falls out of love with a car or didn't widely support it's creation. 4th Gen Fbody got zero ads for it after 1998 (and they had some pretty cool ones like the R/A Trans Am eating an exotic). Don't recall any adds for the GTO ever. Certainly nothing for the SS Sedan. Not even sure Lutz's Kappa roadsters got any attention. And the CT4/5 are 2 years in and GM pretends they don't exist, nor acknowledge 6th gen of it's probably 2nd best known nameplate.
They are making lots of $$$ on crossovers, suv's and trucks, so its not surprising that halo vehicles with lower volumes will be left to wither on the vine.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I know that they can really do what they want, but my crazy conspiracy riddled brain thinks they're doing it intentionally so that they can kill them off sooner and convert LGR over to producing EVs earlier.

·
Registered
525 Posts
"apparently accident statistics over the last 10 years are not significantly out of line with any large greenhouse window vehicle"

"Apparently" so, you don't know? Are you trying to argue the visibility out of the Camaro is on par with other vehicles?
I'm saying that if visibility was as egregious as some here claim, one would expect accidents to be statistically higher by a wide margin than other vehicles with a lower beltline. If that were the case it would be significant news in the auto world and NHTSA would be having a hissy fit. Not an unreasonable inference to make.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
I have no issue admitting it. I'm one of the claustrophobic people, I feel uncomfortable sitting inside it. I suspect many don't want to admit that failing and just say "can't see out of it". I've not driven one, just sat in several.

Nor am I a person who has strong claustrophobic feelings, I can't think of anything in the past several years that has made me feel uncomfortable like that. I am a sample of one, but I'd put money on it that I'm not the only one.

I felt perfectly fine sitting in my ATS and now in my CT4-V.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
Back in the 1990's I worked for a consumer products company and a new product wasn't selling well. The CEO said the low sales don't support additional advertising spend. That never made sense to me and seems to be a self-fulfilling prophecy for the product to fail. Seems to me like GM is following this line of logic.

·
Registered
2014 Chevrolet Camaro
586 Posts
If I ever decide to part ways with my 14 Camaro, I would definitely be buying a Challenger. No chance of me buying a 6th gen Camaro.

·
Registered
20,682 Posts
I'm saying that if visibility was as egregious as some here claim, one would expect accidents to be statistically higher by a wide margin than other vehicles with a lower beltline. If that were the case it would be significant news in the auto world and NHTSA would be having a hissy fit. Not an unreasonable inference to make.
What if they are only statistically higher by a narrow margin? Does that mean they are only a little worse?
- Don't answer that, you are just making stuff up, you have no idea what the numbers say or don't say.

None of us know how it ranks "statistically" we know how it is "physically".

And we did, what do we compare it against, an Impala a Charger or a Mustang? In-general we know that performance cars are more prone to accidents, in-part it is the power, in-part it is the age/type of people that drive them.

Additionally a "flaw" in your logic, if you are expecting something to stick-out and get scrutinized by NHTSA how long did the GM ignition switch fiasco go on before NHTSA found and exposed it?
- Don't answer this one either, it's a trick question, they didn't...............

I have no issue admitting it. I'm one of the claustrophobic people, I feel uncomfortable sitting inside it. I suspect many don't want to admit that failing and just say "can't see out of it". I've not driven one, just sat in several.
So, like a person that puts on a pair of shoes that don't fit right and hurt your feet and expecting them to be great when you start walking?

Nor am I a person who has strong claustrophobic feelings, I can't think of anything in the past several years that has made me feel uncomfortable like that. I am a sample of one, but I'd put money on it that I'm not the only one.

"Perception is reality" While I am sure the longer you drive it, the more comfortable you would feel, you will get use to it, but it doesn't actually get better or as good (visibility) as a better designed vehicle.

OK, I'm done beating this dead-horse.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts
What if they are only statistically higher by a narrow margin? Does that mean they are only a little worse?
- Don't answer that, you are just making stuff up, you have no idea what the numbers say or don't say.

None of us know how it ranks "statistically" we know how it is "physically".

And we did, what do we compare it against, an Impala a Charger or a Mustang? In-general we know that performance cars are more prone to accidents, in-part it is the power, in-part it is the age/type of people that drive them.

Additionally a "flaw" in your logic, if you are expecting something to stick-out and get scrutinized by NHTSA how long did the GM ignition switch fiasco go on before NHTSA found and exposed it?
- Don't answer this one either, it's a trick question, they didn't...............

So, like a person that puts on a pair of shoes that don't fit right and hurt your feet and expecting them to be great when you start walking?

"Perception is reality" While I am sure the longer you drive it, the more comfortable you would feel, you will get use to it, but it doesn't actually get better or as good (visibility) as a better designed vehicle.

OK, I'm done beating this dead-horse.
No doubt I'd get over the feeling in a couple of weeks. But, being that I'd spend over $50k on it, I am not willing to take the risk that I won't get over it.

I still love the looks though.

·
Registered
18,293 Posts
Just think of the ATS Coupe. It didn't have the crazy high belt line but it failed because it was so bland but some of the most sought after alpha cars are the ATS-V Coupes.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

I didn't buy a 6th gen mainly because of the high beltline. Don't hate it, just don't love it. But vision just isn't a problem.
Just think of the ATS Coupe. It didn't have the crazy high belt line but it failed because it was so bland but some of the most sought after alpha cars are the ATS-V Coupes.

I tend to like somewhat more conservative designs, so I really do like my ATS Coupe. I think more conservative designs also tend to age better. I had a CTS Coupe, a design that was definitely "out there." But after 5.5 years, I was actually kind of tired of it. That visual shock appeal that it had when I got it wore off. I still think it's a great looking car, but I was over it. With my ATS, I'll think it looks good ten years from now. And with the lack of coupes on the market, I'll probably be driving it ten years from now.

However, I always thought that Cadillac should have offered an appearance package for the standard ATS that gave it the look of the ATS-V.

·
Registered
18,293 Posts
I tend to like somewhat more conservative designs, so I really do like my ATS Coupe. I think more conservative designs also tend to age better. I had a CTS Coupe, a design that was definitely "out there." But after 5.5 years, I was actually kind of tired of it. That visual shock appeal that it had when I got it wore off. I still think it's a great looking car, but I was over it. With my ATS, I'll think it looks good ten years from now. And with the lack of coupes on the market, I'll probably be driving it ten years from now.

However, I always thought that Cadillac should have offered an appearance package for the standard ATS that gave it the look of the ATS-V.
I really liked the ATS coupe too but in the lower trims it looked pretty run down for a Cadillac. ATS-V Coupe looked awesome especially in red and blue.

·
Registered
4,898 Posts
I really liked the ATS coupe too but in the lower trims it looked pretty run down for a Cadillac. ATS-V Coupe looked awesome especially in red and blue.
White diamond for me...I'm not a fan of the gauges but a 3.6tt v6 will help me get over it.

·
Registered
18,144 Posts

I really like the ATS Coupe, someone near me has one I think it is very elegant looking. However, I'd not have an issue with an appearance package for those that prefer aggressive looks over elegant.

I'd say GM recognized this, hence the sport/V/V Blackwing options on the new CT4 (though no coupe). With the ATS, your only choice was either a regular model or spend well over $60k to get "the look". With the CT4 you can get the sporty look on regular models or the regular V.

·
Premium Member
6,284 Posts

I didn't know I was one of them until my son was looking for his first car. We were in almost everything, using elimination. The Camaro was terrible. I HATE that sitting on the floor with tiny windows at shoulders................ so yes, claustrophobic. I like light in my vehicles. Other than summer, my BAMR roof shade is always open........... for the light. So, the Camaro was terrible, and the Mustang was slightly better. Liked the look much more, and probably could live with it, but HATED the distortion of the heavy sloped rear window. The Camaro had that problem also, but I was more busy trying to figure out if I was in an accident, if they had airbags in the top of the doors.................. to cushion my head. I'm not short for a woman either (I'm 5'7"), but I'm all legs.

At the end of the day, part of the reason Corey went with the S3 was due to greenhouse, outward vision, and great interior. It made fun driving more fun. He is 6ft, but has long legs also.

As for getting used to the vision, the thing that the powers that be forget about, is that you have to get someone to get in the car and drive it first.............. before they can get used to it. Short of Camaro diehards, a lot of people I know looked at one, said "nahhh, transformer," and moved on.

101 - 120 of 153 Posts