GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 153 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge Sold Over 5 Times As Many Challengers As Chevy Did Camaros In 2021 Q2!
BY BRAD ANDERSON | POSTED ON JULY 6, 2021

Some say the Dodge Challenger is aging like fine wine, others that it’s way past its prime time, but whichever side you stand on, you can’t deny that muscle car enthusiasts continue to buy it in their droves, so much so that it actually outsold the newer Ford Mustang and Chevrolet Camaro in the second quarter.

In Q2 2021, a grand total of 15,052 Challengers were sold across the United States posting an increase of 52.3% over the same period in 2020, according to data from Autonews. Ford delivered a total of 14,676 Mustangs in the second quarter of 2021, down 6.6% compared to last year, while the Camaro lagged well behind its competition selling only a fraction at just 2,792 examples during April, May, and June 2021, recording a 58.2% drop over last year.

Mustang still ahead in overall 2021 sales

The Mustang continues to outsell the Challenger and Camaro when you factor in Q1 to the equation, with 31,950 units delivered during the first six months of the year (-5.4%). By comparison, Dodge has delivered 30,148 Challengers in the first half of 2021 (up 36.9% over 2020) while Chevrolet has sold just 9,881 Camaros (-28.7% at 13,860 units in 2020 H1).

While demand for the Challenger has remained remarkably strong as the car has aged, thanks largely to the launch of various new, high-powered models, it’s worth noting that sales and deliveries of the Mustang have been hit hard this year due to difficulties the automaker is facing in overcoming the microchip shortage. In addition, production of the Camaro has been halted on a number of occasions throughout the shortage.

Nevertheless, GM executives won’t be pleased to see sales of the Camaro falling off a cliff like this. Production of the 2022 model is expected to start in September but it has undergone very few changes over the 2021 model so it remains to be seen whether it’ll manage to generate any renewed interest in the car.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
3-1, Yikes!!!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
And that's why they were in no hurry to change anything about it. Further proof that chassis tuning and laptimes are irrelevant in the segment
We were lucky they at least mildly revised the hideous beak that came in MY 19 to make it mildly less offensive.

The LT1 trim with the more attractive pre MCE face would have helped sales, as would some actual product advertising. But not likely enough to pull it out of 3rd. The Mustang is the Mustang and will always find buyers, and Dodge hit a good niche with the size and comfort of the Challenger coupled with good pricing.

Camaro is also getting hurt badly with the lack of inventory since that plant seems to be the first GM shuts down to conserve its chip supply.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
It would be interesting to be able to compare how many weeks each car's production was shut down in 2021.

The Challenger being long since amortized has to be a huge profit center for Dodge. The Camaro and Mustang not so much.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
GM refuses to actually update the Camaro, it's basically the same car as it was in 2010.
That's incorrect. The 2016 to present Gen 6 Alpha Camaro is completely different than the 2010 Zeta Gen 5 Camaro. I've owned both. They don't compare other than somewhat similar styling.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
That's incorrect. The 2016 to present Gen 6 Alpha Camaro is completely different than the 2010 Zeta Gen 5 Camaro. I've owned both. They don't compare other than somewhat similar styling.
My buddy's dad has a 2010 Camaro SS and my other buddy has a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Other than rock hard racing seats, an insanely stiff ride, and gobbs more power the cars are basically the same. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
We were lucky they at least mildly revised the hideous beak that came in MY 19 to make it mildly less offensive.

The LT1 trim with the more attractive pre MCE face would have helped sales, as would some actual product advertising. But not likely enough to pull it out of 3rd. The Mustang is the Mustang and will always find buyers, and Dodge hit a good niche with the size and comfort of the Challenger coupled with good pricing.

Camaro is also getting hurt badly with the lack of inventory since that plant seems to be the first GM shuts down to conserve its chip supply.
That '19 front I put in the GM self sabotage category with the Volt, Malibu Hybrid, and the 22 Enclave...I think they're doing this intentionally to drive down product demand so that they can justify killing them off...makes no sense really but that's the most logical illogical conclusion I can come up with.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Somehow the Camaro turned into the uncool sports car, Camaro has long struggled against Mustang, and now Challenger has turned into quite the phenomenon. I'm not sure Chevy needs the Camaro with Corvette and perhaps they should focus on that.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Yea, it's not even worth it to argue that. Zeta vs Alpha is worlds difference.
I agree, yet not a single part interchanges between the platforms.

I still drive a Zeta G8 GT and 2 Gen 6 Camaro's. While the G8 GT was better balanced than the Gen 5 Camaro, the Gen 6 cars are much better handling machines.

·
Registered
658 Posts
My buddy's dad has a 2010 Camaro SS and my other buddy has a 2018 ZL1 1LE. Other than rock hard racing seats, an insanely stiff ride, and gobbs more power the cars are basically the same. Just my opinion.
Well they're both Camaros, but they're on completely different chassis, engines are different, dimensions are different, weight is way down. etc. No way are they the same.

·
Registered
658 Posts
There is nothing else like the Challenger on the road, and cool women like them.
The thing about the Challenger is that it's a big coupe, basically the only muscle car mid size coupe out there. And it's very cheap if you get the lower trims which are also offered in AWD. And it's really attractive although the interior looks a generation old IMO. The current Camaro is much more of a niche product.

·
Registered
7,391 Posts
Well they're both Camaros, but they're on completely different chassis, engines are different, dimensions are different, weight is way down. etc. No way are they the same.
They don't feel different. The headroom is equivalent, the leg room is equivalent, both of them have limited visibility from the driver's seat, they both feel overweight, etc... To me it felt like an evolution versus a complete overhaul between 2010 and 2018.

·
Premium Member
35,897 Posts
It's 5:1, not 3:1.

They don't feel different. The headroom is equivalent, the leg room is equivalent, both of them have limited visibility from the driver's seat, they both feel overweight, etc... To me it felt like an evolution versus a complete overhaul between 2010 and 2018.
And IMO that's the bottom line. If you gots a new chassis, motors, trannies, rock hard seats, and the cars feel the same, then someone in engineering needs a boot up their arse. 🧐

They track test these cars, does nobody drive them around or ride in them to do an old vs. new comparison? Maybe that's why the Challenger is on an "old" platform with "old" engines and "old" incredible 8-speed automatics. Because visually Challies stand out, there is no doubt in my military mind I'm looking at a Challenger. Mustangs are also distinctive and Mustang-looking, just not as sharp and never have been the looker the Challenger was.

Chrysler almost always comes up with great model names, good looks, and good dynamics. WTF is a "Camaro?" Mr. Google says,
What is the Camaro named after?
The name Camaro was reportedly derived from Heath's French and English Dictionary as a term that translated to "friend" or "comrade." Reporters were told by GM product managers that the term also meant "a small, vicious animal that eats Mustangs." And the stage for the rivalry was set.

Camaro is a nothing name, unfortunately for Chibby. Look at their other names, ChryCo has Charger, Chibby has Impala. A prey animal. Oh, that's a good idea.

GM has issues at the top that go way back. Their $3 billion annual ad budget is flushing good money after bad. Who in hell is in charge up there?

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
They feel nothing the same when driven. We all agree that the outward appearance was the worst decision ever but to keep saying they feel the same is bogus.

·
Registered
44,169 Posts
GM refuses to actually update the Camaro, it's basically the same car as it was in 2010.
Well... other than the fact that they're on entirely different platforms.... heh...

Personally, I don't think there have been that significant improvements overtime. So, that is certainly where that perception comes from.

Why do Camaro sales suck? It's ultimately a middling product that sits between a Mustang and Challenger. It's not really a focused product. Chevy also undoubtedly wants to protect the Corvette too on the performance end of the spectrum.

It's too bad. I don't think Camaro is going to last for much longer.

1 - 20 of 153 Posts