GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At least in the newspaper photos.
Looks like Chrysler is going after Nissan's Z and Porsche.
There is no data so I don't have the motor/performance specs but the body smacks of Porsche.
I say, if the design is great on somebody else's car, copy it.
Since it is a concept there is no telling which platform it would use (SRT?)

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
there is no way the slingshot could even compare to the Zs or porsches...it doesn't even have the right amount of cylinders.....it's a nice looking car, and probably pretty peppy but it's just not designed for that segment....it's target market is retired fogies who want to relive their glory years in huge muscle cars without paying mondo large amounts for gas....it's the first truly economical sportscar concept I've seen....

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 6 2004, 08:31 AM
At least in the newspaper photos.
Looks like Chrysler is going after Nissan's Z and Porsche.
There is no data so I don't have the motor/performance specs but the body smacks of Porsche.
I say, if the design is great on somebody else's car, copy it.
Since it is a concept there is no telling which platform it would use (SRT?)
don't get too excited.

from pistonheads.com..

"DODGE SLINGSHOT Monday 5th January

Gunning for the Smart Roadster

DaimlerChrysler have chosen the new year to chuck another offering out to those seeking small, affordable, roof off fun. Sunday may be a day of rest for many, but the execs at Dodge were busy launching the 'Sling Shot'.

The sturdy looking convertible is very much in the mould of the Smart Roadster with a meagre 3 cylinders scraping around for 100bhp to propel the car. Fuel efficiency is touted as one of the main design criteria for the car.

The Sling Shot is designed for wind in the hair action. It gets a roof panel and side rails that can be stored in the boot, while a canvas roof panel can slide back and out of the way like a roll top desk for open-air driving.

Commenting on the new chariot, Trevor Creed, Senior Vice President of Chrysler Group Design quipped, without taking a breath: "Sling Shot is a dynamic, creative look at the never-ending quest to offer visually exciting design, structural integrity, operating efficiency and the all –important fun-to-drive quotient in an affordable, entry level sports car. ”

Dodge claim that the car is a concept but the engineering seems pretty well advanced so our money's on a production version of some type."

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yuck!
All that styling and only a 3 cylinder motor underneath! Unbelievable.
If they are after the fogies, they had better put something much more substantial there.
If it is a 3 cylinder, then they're more after the younger generation and preferrably female. The kind who buy Mitsu Eclipses and small Hondas and Mazda's Miata.
You guys really knocked out my thoughts of this car taking on the Z.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
You very well might see some cars like this soon. the SMART brand is coming to the US. I can live with a 4-cyl, but a 3-cyl w/ 100 hp... bleh... :lol:

We'll see how many people buy 'em... at least it doesn't look like a Scion... :laughbounce:

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
If it is the same size as Smart roadster it is a complete **** on wheels.
There aren't many of them in my country but I saw a few and I must say that every hit with another car on the road is a huge risk.
I don't recommend it to anyone.Smarts are small and crappy(and expensive,at least in Europe) :flush: :flush:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 6 2004, 12:49 PM
Yuck!
All that styling and only a 3 cylinder motor underneath! Unbelievable.
If they are after the fogies, they had better put something much more substantial there.
If it is a 3 cylinder, then they're more after the younger generation and preferrably female. The kind who buy Mitsu Eclipses and small Hondas and Mazda's Miata.
You guys really knocked out my thoughts of this car taking on the Z.
dont think they are intending to pass this off as a sports car. think they are probably going to present it as a sportier alternative to hybrids cars on the market, and push the fun/cool styling and the amazing fuel mileage. niche vehicle is more the catagory this belongs in.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the wheelbase?
I can see somebody dropping a V-6 into it. I keep looking at the picture hanging on my office wall and shaking my head "no". No way can such styling be wasted on an anemic power plant.
You'll probably tell me that it's got one of those CV Transmissions.
What a let down. :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
:rolleyes: :type: Hey, 69 nova, My stepdad died last year and He had a 1969 Nova and gave to my brother two years ago, still in good running condition, Nothing to do with topic, but when I saw your Handle I thought of it and just wanted to Post about that smooth riding 1969 Nova,OK?....RoseL.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Feb 6 2004, 08:25 PM
What's the wheelbase?
I can see somebody dropping a V-6 into it. I keep looking at the picture hanging on my office wall and shaking my head "no". No way can such styling be wasted on an anemic power plant.
:lol:
your problem is that you see only a picture of it
it is so small that even the smallest V-6 on the planet wouldn't fit there
Even if a wizard did it the car would be blown into space... :chef:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by powervette+Feb 6 2004, 04:32 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (powervette @ Feb 6 2004, 04:32 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-69nova@Feb 6 2004, 08:25 PM
What's the wheelbase?
I can see somebody dropping a V-6 into it.  I keep looking at the picture hanging on my office wall and shaking my head "no". No way can such styling be wasted on an anemic power plant.
:lol:
your problem is that you see only a picture of it
it is so small that even the smallest V-6 on the planet wouldn't fit there
Even if a wizard did it the car would be blown into space... :chef:[/b][/quote]
maybe these will help show the true size of this lil mini-cooper sized car.

here is the smart roadster the slingshot will be based off of next to its sibling the taller smart cabrio they both use the same mid-engine rwd platform.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unbelieveable let down! As I reported in my "Day at the Chicago Auto Show", I want the guy wh otook the phot for the paper took take my picture. If he can do that to the car, he'll make me look like Mr Olympia.
The car looked like somebody shot the *** end off and looked like it was designed for nobody that I know- young or old, male or female.
A concept that should be deep sixed before Chrysler wastesany more money on it.

Boy was I fooled.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hello Lemonmalibu;
Your father must have been a wise and practical man. Practical that he purchased one and wise that he held onto it.
The great thing about that car is that it was a soild, small car for the young family but could be easily turned into an asphalt scorcher. Watch Horsepower TV; they are building a black 69.
Actually, they were a Camaro platform with a different body. So, GM was pretty wise in those days getting two selling cars off one platform.
So easy to work on with all that room under the hood. And the smlaa block's sturdiness just added to the charm of the car.
Don't do like me but hold onto it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know... I'd be curious what the aftermarket could do with that powerplant. Imagine if you could shoehorn an Integra 4-banger in there or dump a turbocharger on the 3-banger. The car's gotta be light, so getting 170+hp out of the engine bay would probably produce some fun acceleration.

I love the sound and pull of a V8 more than anything, but you can have some great fun in a light car with more power than it's designed for. :D

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Although Chrysler never mentions it (they didn't provide many details in the media information on the Sling Shot), I believe the "100hp" three-cylinder in the Sling Shot is already turbocharged. And I'm sure that an Integra four-cylinder would never fit in the Sling Shot. Have you ever seen the size of the Smart three-cylinder engines? They're tiny.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are going this far, you might as well make it a hybrid car with that 50-60 mpg range. Honda is selling their hybrid which is in the 75hp range.
If you're going to get sick, get sick all the way.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts