GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dodge wants you to know that it's capable of designing a car by copying the solstice that's youthful, tasteful and fun. Given the fact that the vehicles in its lineup often uncomfortably skirt the shoulder of blandness (with the notable exception, of course, of the hyperbolic Viper), such a claim might be difficult for many to believe. The manufacturer's Razor concept is designed to quash all such doubts. The Orange Slice-hued concept (whose moniker is the result of Dodge's licensing partnership with the trendy Razor brand, makers of the popular scooter) is stylish and Euro-sleek, and has its high beams firmly fixed on teens and 20-somethings with a thirst for good-looking, affordable speed.

The Razor's looks combine '60s-era Euro-sports-car cool with contemporary minimalism; the result is sheetmetal not unlike that of the lust-inducing Audi TT. Says Chrysler designer Kevin Verduyn: "Working off an all-new platform, we could create extreme proportions. The long hood, high sills, wide body, narrow greenhouse and low center of gravity all indicate secure, protective performance." The car's lines are sleek and spare; its only embellishments are chrome bumpers, a racing-style aluminum gas cap, retro-styled door handles and mirrors, and jewel-like headlamps. "This project really is about the power of purpose and purity," says Verduyn.rest of this discrace

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
The Razor was out a year or 2 before the solstice, when lutz was still a member of chrystler.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 14 2004, 04:18 PM
The Razor was out a year or 2 before the solstice, when lutz was still a member of chrystler.
Umm...the Dodge Razor concept was after Lutz left. I debuted at NAIAS in 2002, the same year and show as the Pontiac Solstice which was put into place by Lutz a good 8 months before...

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by TaHoE+Jan 14 2004, 09:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TaHoE @ Jan 14 2004, 09:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28@Jan 14 2004, 04:18 PM
Umm...the Dodge Razor concept was after Lutz left. I debuted at NAIAS in 2002, the same year and show as the Pontiac Solstice which was put into place by Lutz a good 8 months before... [/b][/quote]
eh? I remember seeing it in 01, 00 at the NYC auto show. I remember because no one had a car that cool looking. I was upset that it only had a 4cyl. either way, they have that new slingshot concept.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I think that the slingshot looks better than the razor, plus the idea is kooler, 3 cylinders=better fuel economy....and you have to admit...90 HP from an engine that small is pretty decent...eh? the idea of a mini viper appeals to me...I mean...the viper is slick...and most of the styling cues looks good....so a more affordable, better handling version of the competition coupe would just own...rite?

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28+Jan 14 2004, 04:29 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (bigals87z28 @ Jan 14 2004, 04:29 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 14 2004, 09:27 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-bigals87z28
@Jan 14 2004, 04:18 PM

Umm...the Dodge Razor concept was after Lutz left. I debuted at NAIAS in 2002, the same year and show as the Pontiac Solstice which was put into place by Lutz a good 8 months before...
eh? I remember seeing it in 01, 00 at the NYC auto show. I remember because no one had a car that cool looking. I was upset that it only had a 4cyl. either way, they have that new slingshot concept. [/b][/quote]
Well it was either '01 or '02. Either way, the Solstice and Razor were definitely introduced the same year my friend. There was even a comparo in MotorTrend on it....

·
Registered
387 Posts
I actually really like the razor, but its not getting built chryser dont have the money (also the reason why the M80 truck wasnt built even though they had the plant an all ready to be built an all)

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
really? wow. i didnt know it was introduced b4 the solstice or the same time. i just thought that they copied it because the article said 2002 and i heard about the solstice or someting like it in 01 at some auto show near me...hmm

·
Registered
95 Posts
They both debuted at the same time. None of that matters because the Razor is like half the size of the Solstice, I believe Car and Driver said it was actually smaller than a new Mini.

I think the car would look better with a longer trunk, but I kind of like the overall look.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Pontiaddict@Jan 15 2004, 02:25 PM
They both debuted at the same time. None of that matters because the Razor is like half the size of the Solstice, I believe Car and Driver said it was actually smaller than a new Mini.

I think the car would look better with a longer trunk, but I kind of like the overall look.
No way, its about the size of the solstice. Maybe that slingshot crap because its based off teh Smart car, but the razor was deffinatly the size of the solstice.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Jan 15 2004, 11:48 AM
The Razor was definitely NOT at the 2000 NYIAS and Lutz left long before it was designed.

And why was this article dug up now? The Razor project has been dead a long time.
Thats what I was wondering as well. And I believe that the Razor was "about the size of a Mini" according to MotorTrend. However it has a more powerful engine used in the Neon SRT.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
razor
147.8 lenght
68.8 width
47.8 hight

solstice

mini

all about the same actualy, solstice is about a foot longer then the razor.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Jan 15 2004, 05:05 PM
razor
147.8 lenght
68.8 width
47.8 hight

solstice

mini

all about the same actualy, solstice is about a foot longer then the razor.
a foot in auto speak is alot bigger :D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by Hudson@Jan 15 2004, 04:48 PM
The Razor was definitely NOT at the 2000 NYIAS and Lutz left long before it was designed.

And why was this article dug up now? The Razor project has been dead a long time.
Well for one thing....i "knew" that the solstice was designed b4 this and i read a new article about it and i cant find it! my brother erased the history and cookies. so i put up an older one to discuse the similarity.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts