GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopping at an intersection, a new Dodge Magnum crossed my path. Although the Chrysler 300 is offto a great start, I don't forecast the same for the Magnum. It looks like a huge, heavy station wagon. Not very appealing in my eyes. Aside from the people in love with the Hemi, the model does not seem to have a style that gets my attention.

·
Registered
954 Posts
I'm waiting for the lawsuits to start pouring out when an obese person is unable to get out of the side window in an accident. Hell I doubt anyone over 140lbs could squeeze through them. The windows are awkwardly small.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
I think the new Magnum is killer, ("killer" = 80's lingo for "very neat"). They've only been out a month or so and I'm already seeing them all over the place here in SoCal.

My guess is that DC has another hit.

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
I agree with the guys that like them. Wait until you see one with some proper meaty wheels and tires. If I had a family I would much rather drive that than some poor performing SUV that will never go off the road. I'm seriously thinking of getting one because I don't want a truck but the Magnum would still allow me to transport my RC airplanes or the computer, tv, ladder or other odd shaped items that I always seem to be hauling.

·
Registered
708 Posts
The Magnum RT and 300C are awesome rides.
I would take the Magnum over the 300, but I'd
take either of them without any complaints! ;)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
This is totally a matter of taste. If I needed to buy a wagon, the Magnum would be at the top of my short list.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
Originally posted by coolcaddy@Jul 4 2004, 04:59 AM
I think the new Magnum is killer, ("killer" = 80's lingo for "very neat"). They've only been out a month or so and I'm already seeing them all over the place here in SoCal.

That's so appropriate - from the start I thought the Magnum looked like a SoCal slammed, chopped, channeled and shaved (that's 50's lingo, I think) 50's mobile, a genuine production hot rod.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The beauty of the Magnum is the fact that it has a Hemi and it looks like a custom rod with a 7/70 powertrain warranty to boot. GM has some carching up to do on this end of the market!

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I saw pictures of the Magnum before it hit dealerships I fell in love. Then a jet-black one landed at our dealer, I drool everytime I see it. Very slick. It's definantly one of those cars you can either love or hate. To each their own though.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It'll be interesting to note the sales between the Hemi Magnums and non-Hemi versions. Then it'll be design versus drive train.
I respect you pro-Magnum members. It does have that chopped and channeled look. Maybe I'm being too utilitarian.

That comment about the windows being big enough to escape through; is that really a safety criteria? Wouldn't the same design SUV's (i.e. Infiniti, Nissan Morano) similarly be affected?

·
Registered
8,896 Posts
Originally posted by 69nova@Jul 5 2004, 02:26 PM
It'll be interesting to note the sales between the Hemi Magnums and non-Hemi versions. Then it'll be design versus drive train.
I've been to 3 different dealers looking at them and I would say 75% of them have the mid level 250hp V-6 and I would be suprised if the overall sales were much different than that.

That comment about the windows being big enough to escape through; is that really a safety criteria? Wouldn't the same design SUV's (i.e. Infiniti, Nissan Morano) similarly be affected?
They're talking about the height of the windows. By raising the beltline of the vehicle it makes it look like a "chopped" top without affecting the headroom. In the past they "chopped" the pillars and dropped the roof virtually eliminating any headroom. As far as getting out of the windows in a wreck I'm 6'4" and 230lbs and would have no problem what so ever sliding out one of those. They look much smaller than they really are. As far as being a safety issue, if you can't fit out one of those windows I think your fork has a much bigger chance of being a health concern.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Love the 300. I pass on the Magnum. Design is all a matter of taste but the 300 goes back to the days when American design stood out. It's too bad it took the Germans to show us the point. I wonder if DCX wishes it brought out the Dodge Charger sedan instead of the Magnum wagon first. They may have had an even bigger hit than the 300.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Dodge is coming out with a sedan version of the Magnum (Might as well say its a reskined 300C) called the Charger. So I guess if you like the face of the Magnum but don't like the station wagon body, your in luck.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
The Magnum is an interesting car. It is the first wagon that has evoked emotion in years, granted some European wagons are good drivers but lack any cool factor. The Magnum is a good choice compared to many SUVs.
I am puzzled by DC's decision to bring the wagon only to market for the first year or so?
Time will tell if the Magnum is a success?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Today I saw my first 300, in white I think... butt-ugly...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Originally posted by karhopper@Jul 5 2004, 03:27 PM
Dodge is coming out with a sedan version of the Magnum (Might as well say its a reskined 300C) called the Charger. So I guess if you like the face of the Magnum but don't like the station wagon body, your in luck.
Are there any spy shots? Pre-pro. pics? Or chops of this? I'd like to see some if there are. B)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I actually saw it in an issue of Automobile magazine. It was the May 2004 issue on page 65 if you have the issue. But if you really want to know how they look, then go to any 300c and just imagine a Magnum face on it :lol:

Heres what the article says:
What: The car that wasn't going to happen. The original DaimlerChrysler LX strategy was to build the 300-series sedan with Chrysler badges and have Dodge sell the wagon version as the Magnum. But Dodge dealers haven't been too pleased with that risky proposition, so a Dodge sedan, reviving the great Charger name, is due soon. The top-of-the-line Hemi R/T will get a 340-hp, 5.7-liter V-8. When: Fall 2005
POWER DEALERS: The Dodge dealers want a full-size family sedan. End of story.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts