GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
36,289 Posts
Jailbreak. Challenger. Charger. Durango. or iq this and iq that.

I'll take "Original car model names for five thousand, Alex."

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
Fun Fact.... Drag Strips are more accessible than Road Courses.. for all Classes of automobiles.
Not only that but you can drive your car to a drag strip, run it all night and drive it home in most cases. Try buying a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger and taking it to a road course. You are actually racing other people and not yourself so if you want to be competitive you will be trailering your car (add tow rig) and then blowing through thousands per weekend just in tires (add brakes plus tons of extras).

You will need to set aside an entire day at the very least and most likely the entire weekend to compete. Then if you get in a wreck which is much more likely to happen vs a drag strip you are screwed because your insurance will not pay.

That's why you never see these cars on road courses so the discussion of such is just a big bench race session and nothing more.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Fun Fact.... Drag Strips are more accessible than Road Courses.. for all Classes of automobiles.
Is that why every Drag Strip that didn't close down due to lack of attendance added road courses and rally courses and everything in between in a desperate act of adapt or close down like the rest of them?

Not only that but you can drive your car to a drag strip, run it all night and drive it home in most cases. Try buying a Camaro, Mustang or Challenger and taking it to a road course. You are actually racing other people and not yourself so if you want to be competitive you will be trailering your car (add tow rig) and then blowing through thousands per weekend just in tires (add brakes plus tons of extras).

You will need to set aside an entire day at the very least and most likely the entire weekend to compete. Then if you get in a wreck which is much more likely to happen vs a drag strip you are screwed because your insurance will not pay.

That's why you never see these cars on road courses so the discussion of such is just a big bench race session and nothing more.
You can't be this obtuse. All of this can be equally said about both types of racing. In both directions. 24 Hours of Lemons blows your statement out of the water alone for ****s sake.

I wonder if flared fenders were an issue when Chevy put fender flares and 305s on all 4 corners of the Z/28
Really really desperate now. Actually, most here hated them. Personally, I think if you're going to compare the 1/2 inch GM added to the Camaro to the Bushwacker Fender Flares Dodge sauntered on down to the Ram division and pilfered, it's just a sad face day for you.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
Is that why every Drag Strip that didn't close down due to lack of attendance added road courses and rally courses and everything in between in a desperate act of adapt or close down like the rest of them?
What are you talking about? Maryland is home to at least 2 Drag Strips i know of, Maryland International Raceway and Capitol Raceway. Capitol, a Small private Strip was slated to Close due to funding before covid ... Summer 2021 came and locals flooded the Strip and literally saved the Strip from closing. its opening season was so large they had to open add a days to its Weekend schedule. its 50 degrees up here now and the thing is still packed. Both raceways are Drag only....

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
What are you talking about? Maryland is home to at least 2 Drag Strips i know of, Maryland International Raceway and Capitol Raceway. Capitol, a Small private Strip was slated to Close due to funding before covid ... Summer 2021 came and locals flooded the Strip and literally saved the Strip from closing. its opening season was so large they had to open add a days to its Weekend schedule. its 50 degrees up here now and the thing is still packed. Both raceways are Drag only....
Hilarious that you think 2 of anything is proof of anything. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,877 Posts

You can't be this obtuse. All of this can be equally said about both types of racing. In both directions. 24 Hours of Lemons blows your statement out of the water alone for ****s sake.

Really really desperate now. Actually, most here hated them. Personally, I think if you're going to compare the 1/2 inch GM added to the Camaro to the Bushwacker Fender Flares Dodge sauntered on down to the Ram division and pilfered, it's just a sad face day for you.

And Did you mean 24 hrs of "Le Man's"

or did you really mean to say "LEMONS"

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
Even if they weren't...none of us are Randy Probst to even consider exploring that extra 5% handling advantage on a RC...the most we'll ultimately end up doing is giving it a little bit more gas on one of those circular onramps and even then we back out before we're halfway to the car's handling limit.

@JimmyDiablo I **** with you on a lot of ****, but this Dodge hate you got going on, I can't get with you on this. I'm not going to hate on the only company that is still actually making **** with character. What happened? Did a Dodge steal your woman or something or did you line up at a red light and got gapped in your G6?

Reactions: CJH

·
Registered
9,094 Posts
That’s laughable. Most drag strips get shut down because of suburban sprawl. The tracks were once out in the boonies but as builders look for land to build new houses they encroach on the track. Then the massive piece of land becomes worth a lot more money to the owners so they sell it and retire. Any track I have ever been to has ten times the people using the drag strip.

I would love to see an amateur road racing event that has this type of paying crowd. Drone footage 9 seconds in.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,473 Posts
That’s laughable. Most drag strips get shut down because of suburban sprawl. The tracks were once out in the boonies but as builders look for land to build new houses they encroach on the track. Then the massive piece of land becomes worth a lot more money to the owners so they sell it and retire. Any track I have ever been to has ten times the people using the drag strip.
Just like our landfills and such ending up right in the middle of things because of our ever increasing urban sprawl. Another sad reality of all this unbridled growth I guess.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
@JimmyDiablo I ** with you on a lot of , but this Dodge hate you got going on, I can't get with you on this. I'm not going to hate on the only company that is still actually making ** with character. What happened? Did a Dodge steal your woman or something or did you line up at a red light and got gapped in your G6?
I point out the truth about ChryCo for the same reason you point out the truth about Cadillac. They are not the second coming of christ that everyone makes them to be.

The truth is they are not good cars. Putting an excellent engine in a crappy car does not make the car excellent. It's still just a ****ty car. Period. No hate, just truth.

They sell less and less of them every year. So obviously they don't build cars that people want like everyone says. This is not hate, it is the truth.

By the way everyone. Hellcat engine is toast. They already discontinued the Durango version. And the Charger/Challenger option is toast in 2023. They are replacing the engine with......wait for it.....a battery pack!!!!!

Where's that meme about what Dodge is doing vs what GM/Ford are doing again??? GM's supercharged vehicles are going to be around much longer :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Womp Womp

·
Registered
18,462 Posts
You know why so many people love the Charger and Challenger? They've been kept relevant. Every single update has made it better in each regard. The cars are fun to drive, have a great following and there are so many models you can get exactly what you want.

In the last 5 years, they sold about 60k per year for the Challenger. Some years more, some years less but certainly not less and less of them every year. Camaro had 86k in 2014 and 30k in 2020. You want to use sales a barometer of success you got to admit the Camaro is a failure by your own standards.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
You know why so many people love the Charger and Challenger? They've been kept relevant. Every single update has made it better in each regard. The cars are fun to drive, have a great following and there are so many models you can get exactly what you want.

In the last 5 years, they sold about 60k per year for the Challenger. Some years more, some years less but certainly not less and less of them every year. Camaro had 86k in 2014 and 30k in 2020. You want to use sales a barometer of success you got to admit the Camaro is a failure by your own standards.
None of this is true. People who buy them love them because they are cheap as ****. People that love to talk about them like they are the second coming of christ are just bored suburban house husbands suffering from low T and use it to overcompensate.

But I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on this.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
None of this is true. People who buy them love them because they are cheap as ****. People that love to talk about them like they are the second coming of christ are just bored suburban house husbands suffering from low T and use it to overcompensate.

BS. I know four different people with them (Challengers) and what you say is most definitely NOT the case.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
BS. I know four different people with them (Challengers) and what you say is most definitely NOT the case.
What's BS is ChryCo getting a free pass on taking 20 years to finally get the car right. GM has to not only be the first to to do anything, but also if it's not perfect the first time out, they're failures and deserve to go bankrupt again.

·
Registered
13,473 Posts
What's BS is ChryCo getting a free pass on taking 20 years to finally get the car right. GM has to not only be the first to to do anything, but also if it's not perfect the first time out, they're failures and deserve to go bankrupt again.
They've had the chance with the Camaro. It seems twice they've kept their recipe while sales continue to falter. So IMO gm isn't really much better.

·
Registered
18,462 Posts

You do realize that the R/T has a $1500 cash rebate right? That's it. You get no haggling, no special discounts nothing. Camaro has no incentives because there is no inventory. At least you can buy a Challenger if you want one.

I mean, I get if you're just being obtuse, but the sales figures are absolutely true.

GM even gave us the LT1 model because people screamed they made the 1SS too expensive, guess what? GM didn't make enough of them!

As far as making changes, this current Challenger is about the 4th MCE and 3rd interior with 3rd engine updates. It's not like they just let the car never change. It's why they've had steady numbers around 60k while Camaro has fallen from 85k to 30k.

·
Registered
5,449 Posts
20 years to get the car right? What are we talking about here...the LXs have been fine since Gen 1s back in 2005, I've had mine since '08 and it still can rip off a mid high 12 1/4 on stock internals without boost.

The problem here is that there's this misconception that these cars have to be something that they were never intended to be. Dodge is a mainstream brand, they're supposed to be cheap...all they're doing w/ this "antiquated" platform is what we wanted GM to do w/ Pontiac and Zeta...its just that only one company had the balls to do it.

Re: HC dying in '23 and the Durango HC only getting a 1 year run...oh well if it's time, its time, they sold every single one they built so it isn't some failure and we already knew that the DHC was going to be a one off.

But here's the funny part:

You guys blast Dodge for not having an EV plan, but now that they have an EV plan, you're blasting them for getting rid of their SC'd motor before GM does....so which is it? And the CRAZIER part of all this is that for all GM's ULTIUM bluster, they're going to be last to the party again if Dodge can deliver on their EV musclecar in 2024.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts