GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

We've known for some time that the Hellcat's end was drawing near. Earlier this year, Dodge CEO Tim Kuniskis said as much but the exact end was still ambiguous. Now, it's narrowed down to a model year – 2023 to be specific. Considering 2022 models are just around the corner, the Hellcat's last ride will be upon us before we know it.

That is, provided a recent report from Motor Authority is accurate. We have no reason to believe it isn't, as Dodge boss Kuniskis is once again cited as the source for this latest information. We've contacted Dodge for direct confirmation and we'll update this article with a statement if we receive one, but there's little reason to doubt 2023 as the final year for Hellcat models.

The Durango Hellcat will be gone; it was always intended as a one-and-done model anyway. In August we reported about Kuniskis stating Dodge's new electric muscle car would arrive in 2024. When you line everything up, 2023 becomes an obvious conclusion.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts
392s are plenty fast.

I know people that have Hellcats. They can't get their power down.
You'd better have Tire Rack on speed dial cuz all they do is burn up tires.
One of the guys in my club got frustrated with this and bought a set of Demon drag radials.

Complete waste of money, according to him.
Made no difference. Unfortunately, it's not just the tires.
You need track prep for them to work and there ain't no track prep on the street.
And then you just end up getting smoked by AWD EVs anyway.

My BIL is an EE that had a 700 hp Mustang Cobra and knows it wouldn't stand a chance.
He sold the Stang may buy one of the bad boy EVs when they start coming in numbers.
Plus, unlike the Stang they can be driven year round.

He asked me how fast it was in the 1/4 mile and I just said "close to roll cage territory".

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
LMAO. They are not. Only certain manufacturers and certain things are being backed away from. If petrol was still "dirt cheap" the people would be singing a different tune.
Agreed....Dodge is selling all the Chargers and Challengers they can make. Its more a matter of management seeing the writing on the wall as well as the upcoming change in MPG standards. I work in the automotive aftermarket and we can't make enough parts to satisfy orders for our kits for the Dodge Chargers and Challengers and our Mustang kits are a huge seller as well. Electric cars are coming, like it or not....but its not because there are no buyers of ICE vehicles.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
392s are plenty fast.

I know people that have Hellcats. They can't get their power down.
You'd better have Tire Rack on speed dial cuz all they do is burn up tires.
One of the guys in my club got frustrated with this and bought a set of Demon drag radials.
I agree with you.
What most people don't understand that compared to the 392, you will really only get any difference in performance with great tires, near perfect weather, possibly a prepped TRACK, those tires better be heated, and a driver that not only knows how to launch a car, but one who is used to this car.

If you have some time and want a few good laughs, take a look at the many, many youtube videos out there of people at the strip ON a prepped surface that have even 400+ HP cars....that aren't good at driving them or don't have good tires and look at the terrible results. Just one example:

Now of course, the Hellcat gives you those 'street cred' bragging rights. And we all know that many/most people buy the top performance trim not because they are going to (or know how) to use it, but simply for the street cred.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts
Makes sense as the upcoming EVs are going to make Hellcats seem slow.
And AWD will be common... a big deal in the snow belt.
No more ultra high performance garage queens.

Hellcats do look great at car shows.
Unfortunately they are rather "common", whereas Demons are not.
In reality, Dodge already ditched the "special" one some time back.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
Isn’t Dodge going to make next gen Chargers/Challengers on an Alfa Romeo chassis? Or has that been canceled to instead go with EV? If we do have a new gen of ICE, wouldn’t it make sense if the first year or two doesn’t have a Hellcat version? Same as the C8 didn’t launch with the Z06 or ZR1?

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
13,436 Posts
Isn’t Dodge going to make next gen Chargers/Challengers on an Alfa Romeo chassis? Or has that been canceled to instead go with EV? If we do have a new gen of ICE, wouldn’t it make sense if the first year or two doesn’t have a Hellcat version? Same as the C8 didn’t launch with the Z06 or ZR1?
That is what I think I've seen somewhere too, maybe Carscoops or something.

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
467 Posts
get a v-8 while you still can, will prob the last gen or next to last gen from the major auto makers

• Sad
Reactions: tripowergto Jan2003
1 - 20 of 22 Posts