1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
13,173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRT to Expand to Charger, 300 Series

By Kevin Kelly

WardsAuto.com, Jul 14 2004

Plans for the expansion of Chrysler’s LX rear-wheel-drive family of vehicles includes an SRT-8 performance package for the Chrysler 300 and Dodge Charger, as well as an all-new 6.1L Hemi V-8.

Performance-car fans should get ready for a series of sport-bred vehicles based on the newly introduced Chrysler Group LX rear-wheel-drive platform. The performance derivatives are set to debut in first-quarter 2005.

Sources within the auto maker tell Ward’s Chrysler will introduce a 300C SRT-8 early in 2005, with a Dodge Charger SRT-8 following in September.

Dodge poised to introduce Charger SRT-8 in September.
Both vehicles will be powered by the all-new 6.1L version of Chrysler’s highly acclaimed Hemi V-8 engine.

Sources claim the new powerplant will produce 420 hp and 390 lb.-ft. (528 Nm) of torque, a significant 24% horsepower boost from the 340 hp rating of the current 5.7L Hemi.

Sources also indicate the 6.1L Hemi will not feature Chrysler’s much-touted multi-displacement cylinder-deactivation system. The higher-output 6.1L Hemi will be reserved only for performance applications, where fuel economy routinely is not a top priority.

“We’ll keep the 5.7L for mass production applications, but the 6.1L will be reserved for limited high-performance vehicle production,” a Chrysler insider says.

The Charger SRT-8 will feature a 6-speed manual transmission as standard equipment, boosting the vehicle’s performance potential.

Pilot production of standard Chargers already has begun in preparation for the return of the Charger moniker to Dodge showrooms shortly before the SRT package launches. (See related story: Wall Street Unimpressed With Chrysler Launch Plans)

The source also indicates the auto maker is toying with the idea of launching a 2-door version of the Charger, as well as a 4-seat convertible, based loosely off the Chrysler Hemi C concept vehicle that debuted at the 2000 North American International Auto Show in Detroit.

“I’ve seen some mock-ups, but I’m not sure if it’s been given the green light,” the source says.

Separately, the auto maker confirms it has begun production of all-wheel-drive variants of the 300 Series and Dodge Magnum passenger cars in Brampton, Ont., Canada. The AWD models will go on sale this fall.

Dodge will debut AWD versions of its Magnum SXT and RT wagon a few months before the system is available on the Chrysler 300 Limited, Touring and 300C in the fourth quarter.

The ’05 Magnum SXT AWD will base at $27,900, and the Hemi-powered RT AWD at $31,370.

Base price of the ’05 Chrysler 300 Touring AWD will be $29,370 with the 300 Touring AWD starting at $31,215. The Hemi-powered 300C AWD will base at $34,195

LINK

·
Registered
47 Posts
They should just go all out and make them SRT-10s, the more power, then better.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
chrysler is galloping ahead. 420 hp? yowza! what other choice will there be for a big, powerful rwd sedan anywhere near the price they'll be asking? CTS-V is $50,000. it's a safe bet the charger will be almost $10,000 less. bonneville GX/P is 145 horses short, and puts its power down at the wrong end for this breed of car. amazing how quickly fortunes can change... there was hardly a chrysler worth mentioning just a few years ago. forget BMW pontiac... try to keep up with chrysler!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Jul 16 2004, 09:25 AM
chrysler is galloping ahead. 420 hp? yowza! what other choice will there be for a big, powerful rwd sedan anywhere near the price they'll be asking? CTS-V is $50,000. it's a safe bet the charger will be almost $10,000 less. bonneville GX/P is 145 horses short, and puts its power down at the wrong end for this breed of car. amazing how quickly fortunes can change... there was hardly a chrysler worth mentioning just a few years ago. forget BMW pontiac... try to keep up with chrysler!
It's funny,......because it's true, DC has really gotten its act together lately, I just hope they can keep it together. It's nice to see successes one after another like this. Especially from a largely NA company

·
Registered
524 Posts
Sounds like it could be a good halo car as well as a good seller. Unfortunately GM is behind on this. I have a feeling GM gets into this game as soon the EPA and the evironmentalists put a stop to all high horsepower cars.

I don't think alot of people realise the impact that the EPA and government can have on the cars they love so much. If certain politicans get there way we'll all be driving 4 cylinder economy cars, or worse.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens@Jul 16 2004, 10:46 PM
Look on the bright side, Chevrolet has the Malibu, Aveo, and Cobalt!
:roflmao:
What a joke those are.^

This Charger "powerplant will produce 420 hp and 390 lb.-ft." is speaking to me and it says I like it and it has the design and power and engine I am looking for a 2 years....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just wait until the new GTO and the new chevy car whether its the camaro or the chevelle it will be better then the charger :plasma:

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Originally posted by aristocrat59nfl@Jul 16 2004, 06:31 PM
Just wait until the new GTO and the new chevy car whether its the camaro or the chevelle it will be better then the charger :plasma:
Yup, maybe, in 2007 or 2007. See the problem is that the keyword is "wait"

Nobody wants to wait, and continental drift is faster then GM's getting car on the market. And it isn't because they are prefecting them, because I've never seen a GM product that was any better then a Dodge or Ford. And every one of them has between 2 and 5 years of extra time to make them better and yet they still can't get it right.

I've been a diehard GM guy, but the General can't do anything in a timly manner.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Originally posted by aristocrat59nfl@Jul 16 2004, 07:01 PM
And it isn't because they are prefecting them, because I've never seen a GM product that was any better then a Dodge or Ford
Are you living under a rock?? ;)
Dude, I am not living under anything other then a roof. Can you tell me one GM product that was better then a Ford or Dodge in the same class? And if there is one, I bet it took atleast 2 model years for GM to bring it out after the other one was already available.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Let the horsepower wars continue!

Incidentally, DCX has many(!) issues to address before I would consider them a serious threat to General Motors in the way that say Toyota is. DCX has a few nice cars, but overall I'm not impressed with DCX progress.

It's nice to have a few attractive vehicles (300/C, upcoming Charger), a few of which sell in limited numbers (Viper, Ram SRT-10), but DCX needs to get some other, less sexy things right, too: productivity, quality (initial and longterm), lean manufacturing techniques, and customer satisfaction at the dealership. GM seems to lead DCX in all these measures.

While we may have to wait til 2007/08 for a GTO that will challenge the Charger, it appears we will have to wait equally as long for DCX to get the more mundane (but no less important) things right, too.

In the end, I'll take GM's odds.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Originally posted by logansowner+Jul 16 2004, 10:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (logansowner @ Jul 16 2004, 10:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-aristocrat59nfl@Jul 16 2004, 07:01 PM
And it isn't because they are prefecting them, because I've never seen a GM product that was any better then a Dodge or Ford
Are you living under a rock?? ;)
Dude, I am not living under anything other then a roof. Can you tell me one GM product that was better then a Ford or Dodge in the same class? And if there is one, I bet it took atleast 2 model years for GM to bring it out after the other one was already available. [/b][/quote]
I would say there is a car with an awesome interior 6 disc cd changer colored seats and gauge pod, has 350HP (rumored to go to 400HP next year) goes from 0-60 in 5.4secs. (5.3 w/manual) and is about $33,000 I would say the GTO is better then Ford cars (Not saying all ford cars just saying some) and is better then Most Chrysler cars....so would you consider that one for GM?

Also as far as the Charger is concerned I have ta agree that I am itchin for a V-8 and I don't wanna wait for '07 for chevy to release one.

Joe

·
Registered
302 Posts
theres a zen proverb:

you can't see the sky because your to busy looking at your thumb

meaning the world around you has changed while your still waiting on the thumb

tgagneguam what specifically does chrysler need to work on to out pace GM? productivity is at an all time high at chrysler, initial quality is tops of even mercedes benz, the lean manufacturing is a non issue chrysler has the leanest and quickest turn around time from concept to production PERIOD. Not to mention the small car and midsize platforms are really starting to look sharp with a lot of promise. So where are all these problems you think is wrong with chrysler?

montess2k: The GTO is yet again another "good enough effort" from GM almost right but somethings still missing... Bob Lutz had this problem at chrysler as well with the Prowler it had so much promise, but a V-6 with a automatic transmission made it fall flat on it's face...The GTO is to expensive with a tiny trunk with it's saving grace being the LS1 engine...

On the other hand...i can spend the same amount of cash on a fully loaded dodge magnum...with V-8 power usable space in my opinion much more attractive looks and that awesome pearl coat red...and maybe not beat in a race but be competitive witht he GTO performance wise while i have a full load of cargo on the way to the beach

·
Banned
895 Posts
Listen up, GM!

While you are turning Pontiacs into vehicles looking like used bars of soap and while you are turning Cadillacs into oragami attrocities, Dodge is building real cars for real Americans. We don't want American cars that think they are European or Oriental; we want affordable, awesome looking, and fast cars. Somehow Chrysler has managed to figure this out while you at GM have missed the boat.

Hats off to Chrysler. They've got the groove thing going on!

·
Banned
895 Posts
Originally posted by sheithappens@Jul 16 2004, 10:46 PM
Look on the bright side, Chevrolet has the Malibu, Aveo, and Cobalt!
:roflmao:
OMG! That is funny. :woot2:

·
Registered
22 Posts
While you are turning Pontiacs into vehicles looking like used bars of soap and while you are turning Cadillacs into oragami attrocities, Dodge is building real cars for real Americans
Its funny how you say that because most people seem to like cadillacs styling and ur opinion is worthless. Also the pontiacs looking like a "used bar of soap" is wrong so many people like that new styling of the gto and everything. now If you want to talk about a car that looks like a used bar of soap the lexus sc hits the nail on the head.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have to say that I absolutely love the styling of the new Caddys. And to tell you the truth, I think that GTO is a great car for Pontiac! Next year it's supposed to get the LS2 from what I hear and the interior is the best GM has come up with in years! Just think if they were to bring out a GXP or Judge version of the GTO?? Possibly even solving the wheel-hop issues? I can only imagine........

The big thing GM has over Chrysler in this category is the Corvette! The Viper is just no comparison. It may be faster (but not much) but the Vette has a great interior, can be driven on any day of the week and still costs less. I wish Chevy would just bring back the Camaro so you can all complain about how bad it is, how crappy it handles, how horrible the interior is, how underpowered it is and how much is costs.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.