GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
by Associated Press

DETROIT -- Chrysler is harkening back to the muscle cars of the 1960s as inspiration for a new sporty sedan planned for the Dodge lineup.

The North American division of DaimlerChrysler AG is expected to add a rear-wheel-drive car called the Dodge Charger to its portfolio for the 2006 model year, a Chrysler official told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity.

FULL STORY

·
Registered
815 Posts
It does my ears good to hear of another retro car, I just hope it is retro in design and not a mistake like the GTO (I apologise but I am still steamin on that).

:argue:

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by actionjack@Mar 16 2004, 11:17 AM
It does my ears good to hear of another retro car, I just hope it is retro in design and not a mistake like the GTO (I apologise but I am still steamin on that).

:argue:
Retro :plasma:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I'm not a fan of retro. I like old cars...but not modern homages to them. If you're going to build a modern car, design a modern car. Retro is such a cop-out for designers with no imagination. I like vehicles like the PT Cruiser and the 2005 Mustang, but what do you do as a follow-up? How do you do a "next-generation" PT Cruiser?

Retro vehicles are automatically have a limited life-span. Fortunately, vehicles like the GTO have done it right. It's the CONCEPT of the original GTO (small four/five passenger coupe with as big an engine as you can get in it) without trying to copy the 1964 GTO's styling.

I hope the Charger does this as well. Even though I liked the Charger concept, the production model had better not be a Mustang-like retro car. Make it a sporty sedan...and can we get a 6-speed manual (Mercedes-Benz has these) mated to that 340hp V8? Wouldn't that be nice?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Mar 16 2004, 09:18 PM
Make it a sporty sedan...and can we get a 6-speed manual (Mercedes-Benz has these) mated to that 340hp V8? Wouldn't that be nice?
They already have access to a decent 6spd -- the T56 used in the Viper.

I wouldn't mind a bit of retroness -- the Charger concept they showed in '99 had gorgeous proportions, though I'd like to see a better nose on it. I'm just glad they're finally getting back into the game -- it's good for everybody.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Originally posted by Hudson@Mar 16 2004, 09:18 PM
I'm not a fan of retro. I like old cars...but not modern homages to them. If you're going to build a modern car, design a modern car. Retro is such a cop-out for designers with no imagination. I like vehicles like the PT Cruiser and the 2005 Mustang, but what do you do as a follow-up? How do you do a "next-generation" PT Cruiser?

Retro vehicles are automatically have a limited life-span. Fortunately, vehicles like the GTO have done it right. It's the CONCEPT of the original GTO (small four/five passenger coupe with as big an engine as you can get in it) without trying to copy the 1964 GTO's styling.

I hope the Charger does this as well. Even though I liked the Charger concept, the production model had better not be a Mustang-like retro car. Make it a sporty sedan...and can we get a 6-speed manual (Mercedes-Benz has these) mated to that 340hp V8? Wouldn't that be nice?
*tear*
BRAVO!! Perfect, exactly what I think. I would love to own a 67 GTO with all the tweeks my imagination and wallet can throw at it, but if you want to show everyone a modern car, make a modern design.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think that the new Dodge Charger will be awesome, as long as they don't f*** up the body style like they did with the GTO, like mentioned before. The new GTO is an insult to the older retro style ones. If you are going to bring back a car, bring the whole thing back, with a few modern updates... don't totally remake the body.
I am a proud Dodge Intrepid driver by the way, so i support Dodge ALL THE WAY!
GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS! :bounce:

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Well, Dodges always look brute, so a brute Charger is what I'm expecting. The Magnum looks great, so the Charger (hopefully) will look better - especially with that growling HEMI engine under the hood and RWD. SWEEEEET!

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Originally posted by IrishDrunker16@Mar 30 2004, 02:47 PM
I think that the new Dodge Charger will be awesome, as long as they don't f*** up the body style like they did with the GTO, like mentioned before. The new GTO is an insult to the older retro style ones. If you are going to bring back a car, bring the whole thing back, with a few modern updates... don't totally remake the body.
I am a proud Dodge Intrepid driver by the way, so i support Dodge ALL THE WAY!
GRAB LIFE BY THE HORNS! :bounce:

WTF R U talking about?!?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I am always shocked the retarded "opinions" some people poses.

Well, Mr. Drunk, the Charger will be 4 doors! so much for your retro wet dreams. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Obviously the people who hate the new GTO think it should have been some retro-styled car. Aside from novelties like the PT Cruiser and Prowler, I'm not a fan of retro-styling when it comes to cars. I think it's just a cop-out for the stylist who can't come up with an original idea of their own. The Aztek is ugly...but atleast someone tried. The Mustang is just a modernized version of a 35 year-old design...the market will tire of it quickly.

The GTO, on the other hand, is the same RECIPE as the original without being retro. It's a mainstream body with a big, powerful engine. It is the rightful heir to the GTO name (if Pontiac can claim a "rightful ownership" of that name, having "borrowed" it from Ferrari).

The Charger concept of a few years back was a nicely styled sedan (4-door coupe?) with some obvious cues toward Chargers of the past. I like the Magnum, but I would prefer to see a sedan more akin to the Charger concept than to a sedan version of the Magnum (anyone remember the Super Hemi 8 concept?).

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I don't care if it's retro or not - as long as it looks good I'm fine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts