1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Well, there you go..... flat out unbelievable in the good 'ole Mopar way.

Going to be hard to follow up - and for them as well and yet..... bet they will.

When needed - er no, make that when further advantaged to do so.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
We have to be reaching the cap for 0-60 performance in a RWD front engine package. I can't see any vehicle going much faster on DOT tires without an AWD setup. Unbelievable...

I'd still want the Z06, because race car, but this Hellcat is impressive.

Also, in before all of the "but heavy, but Mopar, but turns, etc." nonsense.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
This is great.

At $60,000, how can you possibly justify purchasing anything else?

1) Generic styling at worst, reasonably handsome at best... definitely not worse than any luxury car in that segment
2) Comfortable interior
3) Lots of toys
4) Not horrific fuel economy
5) 707hp
6) <2.9 seconds to 60

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
We have to be reaching the cap for 0-60 performance in a RWD front engine package. I can't see any vehicle going much faster on DOT tires without an AWD setup. Unbelievable...

I'd still want the Z06, because race car, but this Hellcat is impressive.

Also, in before all of the "but heavy, but Mopar, but turns, etc." nonsense.

Yes - to all that.

Might squeeze just a bit longer with highly sophisticated, highly variable torque control and a few details here and there but there isn't going to be as you say a whole a lot left anyway to go after.

I did not look for it, are the mpg's up by one in one of the columns ?

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
If the charger comes close to those numbers it's still pretty impressive. Lets see if GM puts the LSA in the SS sedan.

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
The question begs to be asked: Why let off the throttle at the big end of the track?

And with all due to respect to those who have never raced a car at a 1/4 mile track, please don't bother to answer the above question if you've never done so.

Perhaps Chrysler just wants the hype to go viral with folks asking "what if", but I can see no technical reason to not drive it through the traps wide-open.

Reactions: 70eldo and hrcslam

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Hard 2 believe. So its faster than the Ferrari f12? I doubt that... Most of the factory numbers are bs.
Given the weight of this car, I'm sure the acceleration rate drops of dramatically whereas the Ferrari will take a lot longer to fade out in acceleration. It probably wouldn't be close in a 1/2 mile race.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I give Dodge/SRT a lot of credit for building excitement and suspense for these cars to mythical proportions. Social Media is eating this up like gospel. The next big news will be pulling the air filter will add 75hp on the dyno...

I've been at a lot of test'n'tune nights where guys show up with XYZ -fast car with the window sticker glue still present and a fresh issue of Motor Trend or Car and Driver in the passenger seat and a puzzled look on their fact after their first few passes end up a half second and several mph off what the magazines or internet racers proclaimed.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The question begs to be asked: Why let off the throttle at the big end of the track?

And with all due to respect to those who have never raced a car at a 1/4 mile track, please don't bother to answer the above question if you've never done so.

Perhaps Chrysler just wants the hype to go viral with folks asking "what if", but I can see no technical reason to not drive it through the traps wide-open.
Same reason you see brake lights on Dave Dudek's Roadrunner (right lane) at around the 1000' mark

Car goes back on the trailer is he exceeds a trap speed of 140

NHRA rules - 2008 and newer is exempt from the 11.49 roll cage requirement, but sub 10s and over 140 they're on you ever with a cage.

Or at the PSMCD, 11.49 and faster is back on the trailer as you can see here with this white COPO 69 Camaro

Reactions: vanshmack

·
Registered
656 Posts
I give Dodge/SRT a lot of credit for building excitement and suspense for these cars to mythical proportions. Social Media is eating this up like gospel. The next big news will be pulling the air filter will add 75hp on the dyno...

I've been at a lot of test'n'tune nights where guys show up with XYZ -fast car with the window sticker glue still present and a fresh issue of Motor Trend or Car and Driver in the passenger seat and a puzzled look on their fact after their first few passes end up a half second and several mph off what the magazines or internet racers proclaimed.
Sure, magazines zero out the D/A to sea level. Race at English Town, Cecil County, MIR, ATCO, etc. around this time of the year and you'll frequently find air at below sea level.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts