GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a pre-owned 2003 Chevrolet S10 a few weeks ago. When I purchased the pick up, one of the tailgate cables was broken. In my search for a replacement, I came across numerous internet "hits" about a GM recall on the tailgate cables. It appears that notices were sent to owners in 2006. Would I be able to have the broken tailgate cable covered or is it too late?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Yes recalls do expire...you might be able to fanagle it out of the dealer to replace them. I think that one's expired though.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Ya dude, just go talk to the dealer. It can't hurt to talk to them. I for one am almost positive that recalls do not expire. It was a recall for a reason.

I'm a dealer technician and most of the vehicle that come in for service are late model but sometimes an older one will come in that never had a certain recall done and I'll have to complete it. I've done some recalls that were around 10 years old. I've seen other technicians who happened to get some older vehicles than that with open recalls and they still had to do them. So really I've seen us do recalls that were 15-20 years old.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tailgate cable is so cheap it would probably cost more in gas to drive to the dealer than to just get a new pair...
Yeah, I know. I found a pair for $25. But, if I can have the dealership replace them for me, then why not?

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I bought a 94 Grand Cherokee in 05 that had an open recall that the dealer was happy to service.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Yeah, they expire. The column lock recall for 5th gen Corvettes expired not to long ago I think. I believe sometime in 2004 the recall for bubbly roof paint on F-bodies expired too.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Yeah, they expire. The column lock recall for 5th gen Corvettes expired not to long ago I think. I believe sometime in 2004 the recall for bubbly roof paint on F-bodies expired too.
The bubbly roof was more of a TSB, I believe. If it has to do with safety, it's not going to expire.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts