1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
As with so many regulatory measures in the United States, the opposite of the intended "fix" often occurs. Based on my experience driving, many ignore all the signs/rules or don't understand them or simply don't care. One of my dreams is that I could single-handedly convince people to care enough to use their turn signals. Perhaps I'm dreaming too big :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
DRIVE RIGHT!

Thats my motto.

·
Registered
6,105 Posts
thats weird...this was emailed around my office a couple weeks ago. same exact article.

but i kinda agree, think about it the next time you drive up to an intersection how many signs there really are. and then think how many no left turn signs do you really need? how many lane designation signs do you need? i think its a tad overkill. there are pavement markings too. the destination signs are good, but i feel like theres too much stuff going on at intersections.

and speed limits make no sense to me, especially 55. the roads are designed not based on what the speed limit is, but on how fast 85% of traffic really goes (which is usually higher than the speed limit). the roads and most cars are more than capable of handling faster speeds- its just a matter of the drivers.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
The one thing that really bothers me is that warning speeds for curves are usually underrated by up to 15-20MPH. (I've heard this is because the tables go back to the 50s/60s when cars had terrible suspensions and brakes.)

People see "45MPH" curves that they can take at 60MPH and they just start to ignore the signs. Then you'll find a 45MPH curve which really is 45MPH and you see scrapes all over the concrete barriers.

Also I somewhat agree that we've made our roads "too safe" for inattentive drivers. But this is a question that can be answered by real accident statistics, not just handwaving the point.

My neighborhood put in some "mini traffic circles" replacing 4 way stops, and they were terribly dangerous and got removed almost immediately after a few bikes and peds were run over.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
My neighborhood put in some "mini traffic circles" replacing 4 way stops, and they were terribly dangerous and got removed almost immediately after a few bikes and peds were run over.
There are some of these 'roundabouts' or whatever here in town, many more down in Lincoln scattered in areas around my brother/sister in-law's place (along with alot more 1-way streets!).....they haven't been the site of any grisly accidents, but I still think they should outlaw those damn things.....

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
There are some of these 'roundabouts' or whatever here in town, many more down in Lincoln scattered in areas around my brother/sister in-law's place (along with alot more 1-way streets!).....they haven't been the site of any grisly accidents, but I still think they should outlaw those damn things.....
While I find the "Mini Traffic Circles" (an intersection with a painted dot in the center) sounding a little too dangerous, especially with the way that people drive around here, I do find that the circles that are in place are fantastic.

What I love about the circles is that you don't have to put a stop light up, and generally, if there is a slightly minor road intersecting a major road, the flow of the major road is not interrupted so a few vehicles turning from the minor road can turn or go through the intersection. Yes, you have to slow down to be able to go around the circle, but it winds up being a lot easier than a 4-way stop (and you generally get to keep moving!)

I have to go through two traffic circles on my way to work, and really wish that the counties would consider a few more for stop-signed intersections or a few of those that are a bit of trouble (there is one where a back road dumps out onto the main road, and idiot drivers don't care to look and see how fast you are approaching (or how close you are) and turn right out in front of you...)

-Chase

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
While I find the "Mini Traffic Circles" (an intersection with a painted dot in the center) sounding a little too dangerous, especially with the way that people drive around here, I do find that the circles that are in place are fantastic.
Yep, I was complaining about the "minis". The circle is too small, and people just gunned it through the intersection at nearly full speed.

A real traffic circle or roundabout can be a considerable safety and speed improvement over a stop light in many circumstances. This has been proven with traffic studies. But they take up more space and are hard to retrofit onto an existing street grid.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
heh, I just saw this....

"Redesigning the Stop Sign"

-Chase

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,893 Posts
In my experience, most US drivers do not deal well with traffic circles (aka roundabouts). Could be that, as the writer asserts, they require some independent thinking that is not sign-directed.

I LOVE ROUNDABOUTS :dro:
Me too. I'd say in about 80 percent of instances, the vast majority of drivers don't understand the proper maneuver-and-evasion use of roundies.

thats weird...this was emailed around my office a couple weeks ago. same exact article.

but i kinda agree, think about it the next time you drive up to an intersection how many signs there really are. and then think how many no left turn signs do you really need? how many lane designation signs do you need? i think its a tad overkill. there are pavement markings too. the destination signs are good, but i feel like theres too much stuff going on at intersections.

and speed limits make no sense to me, especially 55. the roads are designed not based on what the speed limit is, but on how fast 85% of traffic really goes (which is usually higher than the speed limit). the roads and most cars are more than capable of handling faster speeds- its just a matter of the drivers.
Not to mention stop signs and stop lights are a huge waste of fuel, tires, transmissions, and are likely big contributors to the ozone alerts and smog zones that occur when there's too much smokin' goin' on.

Ironic that when Brits are losing so many of their freedoms, this article comes along contrasting the driver-decision demands made on UK drivers vs. the rather mindless, yes master system the US has endorsed.

US driver ed is a sad joke.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
In my experience, most US drivers do not deal well with traffic circles (aka roundabouts). Could be that, as the writer asserts, they require some independent thinking that is not sign-directed.
I think it's just the relative rarity of the devices... in Europe they are everywhere, there is even that nutty one somewhere in England where it's five roundabouts integrated in one

LOL I'd like to see some people try that one on for size :lmao:

The sign even is pretty obvious:

I mean DUH follow the arrows :lmao:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundabout

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
In the U.S. all you have to do is fog a mirror to be handed a license. Do you truly think that those who are unfit to be operating a motor vehicle, would have the slightest clue on what that sign would mean?

·
Premium Member
35,893 Posts
In the U.S. all you have to do is fog a mirror to be handed a license. Do you truly think that those who are unfit to be operating a motor vehicle, would have the slightest clue on what that sign would mean?
Haha, funny.

They would probably think they're supposed to turn left at the next three corners.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I have no problem with roundabouts. I kind of like them, as they're wellsuited to a driver like me. I am pretty aggressive, not dangerous, just aggressive. I have no fear of using my gas pedal to "make a move" unlike what I see every day on the roads. If someone waits longer than 1 second at a 4-way stop, and it's that person's turn.....I go, and I go quickly. But back to roundabouts; they will cause more accidents when intially installed because dolts will come to a complete stop at the circle instead of timing their entrance with the flow of traffic.

A few pet peaves about American drivers:
1) Lack of turn signal, it's not hard to do.....ultimate lazy for those who do not use. The WORST is those who brake last minute to turn while you're right behind them (no signal).
2) Too much concern about people behind them. I don't know why many Americans feel it's more important to watch a tailgater behind them than it is to watch what is ahead of them. You can't do ANYTHING about the person behind you, so just drive.
3) Left lane cloggers. Often these are also the same people who suffer from my #2. These people feel they must use their super-citizen powers to keep traffic at or BELOW the posted speed limit. Booooo.
4) C0ckblockers: Why disallow someone to merge onto the freeway when they are entering from an onramp?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Our road laws suck, our licensing procedure sucks and subsequently our drivers suck. Germany has it right on almost all levels.

I notice that Texas seems to have the worst drivers with SoCal pretty close.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts