GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
BTW..........YES the 5.3 in a interference engine !
If the timing chain breaks while one of the valves is open during the intake or exaust stroke when the piston reaches top deaD CENTER it smacks the valve and bends it!

If the timing chain broke while the valves were on the compression stroke, the valves would be closed so no damage would happen.

·
Registered
9,019 Posts
FOLKS..........TROLL ALERT-TROLL ALERT!!!!!!!!!
Somebody is pulling your leg !!!!!!!!!!!!!

A 2007 Chevy with 83k miles?????????????
If 07s went on sale in Sept. 07
Its STILL under the GM factory powertrain warranty !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(My 07 still is!)

NOTE:
Covered for 100,000 Miles/5 years*
Chevrolet will warrant each 2007 through 2011 model year Chevrolet passenger car, light-duty truck, crossover or van for 100,000 miles/160,000 kilometers or 5 years (whichever comes first; see dealer for details) with no deductible, from the original in-service date of the vehicle, for warrantable repairs that are required as a result of defects due to material and/or workmanship to the powertrain components as listed below: Engine
Cylinder head, block, timing gears, timing chain, timing cover, oil pump/oil pump housing, OHC carriers valve covers, oil pan, seals, gaskets, turbocharger, supercharger and all internal lubricated parts as well as manifolds, flywheel, water pump, harmonic balancer and engine mount. Timing etc. etc....................
I think you're right because I remember one of the deciding factors in buying my 07' SS over a leftover 06' was because that was the year GM started the longer warranty.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
5.3 is definitely an interference engine like all LSx's. I know a few LS1's that have broken timing chains, luckily the cylinder survived but a valve and the head did not. Still should not necessitate an engine replacement. For the shop to say so, they are taking the easy way out. Pull the heads, check the cylinders, likely they are fine.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Complete troll post. Notice how they talk and ramble on. I didn't even read past the first few lines. Also notice how its their first post? Fail day.
Correct. If true, I feel bad about any accident or a person getting hurt. But to buy an 80K vehicle and blame GM. Go buy a foreign car and get it stuck in you're you know where.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
So, here's a quick update....(Or maybe not so quick)
First let me address a few of the, let's say, less helpful remarks...

1. On the stretch of I-75 we were driving on it was 70 mph, we were traveling at 75mph, I hardly believe that is "putting my families lives at risk, after going through a horrendous accident"

2. I realize that our vehicle breaking down is not DIRECTLY connected to my husbands TBI. However, I was giving a little past history explaining why we bought the vehicle we did. Which, by the way, the payment was within our means of living, since it was used and we had saved money to put down on it, along with our trade in. Although, I can humbly agree that we should have had more in the way of savings, to cover possible vehicle maintenance.

3. When my husband was in his accident he was not driving one of our previous GM vehicles. He was driving a Ford, a vehicle issued to him through work. The Ford was smashed, almost beyond recognition. The Chevy, driven by the other driver, was still (for the most part) pretty much still in tact. So, I don't believe I should have "sent GM money for saving my husbands life", and post about how "grateful we were to GM". That was an ignorant comment drawn on assumed generalizations.

4. I think its a bit absurd to call me a "racist or nationalist" for expecting my "district rep" to be based in the US.

I thank you all, whom were insightful about our situation; ie. "any part that fails is going to have a weak point". I hadn't thought of it in that way, and I must admit that does make sense. I do NOT believe it is GM's fault for our misfortune, but if you don't ask for or seek assistance, you won't get any. Yes, perhaps my rant was a bit harsh, at the time I felt helpless, and angry, warranted or not.

On Monday we were called by Frank Shoop in Georgetown, Kentucky to inform us that our car was finished. My husband drove the 6 hours down to pick it up, (yes, we were able to come up with the whole amount) and paid the $3,500. However, on the way home the vehicle broke down TWICE (!), before even reaching our house. When I called the dealership and told the service manager what happened, he told me "Well, we did what you asked us to do, Ma'am." What?! I'm sorry, but isn't it the job of the service techs to run a diagnostics test on our vehicle first, find out the problem, and second to fix it?

We immediately took our vehicle to the Al Serra dealership, in Grand Blanc Michigan, where we purchased the vehicle. How refreshing and reassuring that was!!!! They looked over our bill, from the previous dealership, found discrepancies in the charges and are now contacting headquarters to report it. So, those of you whom thought it was an exorbitant price quote, you were right! Al Serra has re-newed our faith in GM, they are treating us as costumers should be treated! They have properly fixed our vehicle and we could not be more grateful to them, for helping us solve this!

So, here's your proclamation; if you are thinking about purchasing a GM vehicle, make sure you find an honest dealership, that has their customers best interest in mind! Go to Al Serra in Grand Blanc, Michigan.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Let me assure you that anyone who has experienced the aftermath of a serious traumatic brain injury (TBI) in any vehicle smaller than a Freightliner ... will probably have very serious fears of being in a smaller vehicle ... whether those fears are justified or not.
Thank you for understanding! Unfortunately most people do not understand and make ignorant comments and assumptions.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
To GM Consumer 4 10yr: Thank you for coming back to give us more information on your continuing experience. This demonstrates to me that you're not a troll.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
This demonstrates to me that you're not a troll.
Well....in Michigan speak they they technically ARE a troll.
Michigan dictionary:
-Troll, (noun) a person who lives below the mackinaw bridge:D

GM Consumer 4 10yr, there are a lot of one post wonders who's only agenda is to negatively smear GM or whom ever they are posting against.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Hmmmmm.................A vehicle that is LESS than 5 years old and under 100k miles?

GM has a 5 year/100k miles warranty????????

Not covered under the POWERTRAIN warranty ??????????????

When was this vehicle purchased NEW ???????????

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about your problems. But it sounds like you are angry at the world and taking it out on GM.

First it sounds like you've had 9 other GM vehicles - I assume all of reasonable quality, otherwise you would not have purchased the Tahoe. So you had one bad part (and unfortunately a really bad and costly part to break) out of 10. Another tempering thought is that Toyota is known to have sludge issues in their 4 cylinder engines that require compete engine replacements. Toyota blames it on the customer and will not refund the money. My neighbor had so many issues with their Mazda that it had to be returned under the lemon law. The world is a tough place.... I'm just listing out the other companies as examples that if you go with Toyota that you wont have any issues.

Also, did you do any research on the Tahoe before buying it?

And also, you need to be realistic - you bought a vehicle with 80,000 miles on it. You have no idea how it was treated. Do you even know if that was a GM part on the Tahoe?

Sounds like your husband is disabled. Are there any government agencies, etc that can provide assistance? Maybe someone else will have different avenues in GM to call to see if they will help. Or have you appealed to your local church or town government?

I wish you good luck with your husband and hopefully getting some relief in this repair and am sorry you have to go through more anguish.
not just the 4cyl.. the 6 has the issues too. my dads avalon is damn near about to need engine number 2.

·
Premium Member
36,097 Posts
Try 1-800-462-8782. That got me a GM Case Manager who by some magical process turned the dealer's service department snotty attitude around 180 degrees.

TBI is a terrible and ongoing ordeal. I wish you well with healing and recovery.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Well....in Michigan speak they they technically ARE a troll.
Michigan dictionary:
-Troll, (noun) a person who lives below the mackinaw bridge:D

GM Consumer 4 10yr, there are a lot of one post wonders who's only agenda is to negatively smear GM or whom ever they are posting against.
Thanks for clarifying! And let me assure you, my husband and I have always been GM fans. My husband even has 3 GM & Chevy flags, hanging in our garage (his hang out spot)! The whole situation was unfortunate...we are just happy now that our vehicle was in capable hands, with the dealership which we have frequented for the last decade.

Also, when the techs at Al Serra inspected the work of the techs from Frank Shoop, they found that they hadn't even checked or cleaned out the oil pan! Nor did they check or replace a wire that runs off the transmission, that GM has issued a bulletin on! Its sad when one dealership so royally and obviously tries to screw over the customer, it gives GM a bad name. Being a GM dealership they are supposed to represent the company, be the face of GM for the consumer; they did a very poor job in that regard.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
She said it ran out in August. the 2007 tahoes hit the lot in June of 2006 so its understandable that it could be out. We have seen some issues with the timing chains especially with some customers that are going 5k to 7k miles between oil changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
She said it ran out in August. the 2007 tahoes hit the lot in June of 2006 so its understandable that it could be out. We have seen some issues with the timing chains especially with some customers that are going 5k to 7k miles between oil changes.
Let me assure you, we kept our oil changed, regularly. It was even noted to me, through customer service, that it was documented in our file about how clean everything looked; that the oily had obviously been changed regularly, using synthetic oil. We did run the ethanol gas quite a bit over the winter months, because of exorbitant gas prices.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Still no in service dates.......................

80k and a bad timing chain?

My 84 Z (pictured) has 165k miles on the original chain and it led a hard life with SEVEN owners before I got it, also my 72 Gto has 175k and 85k miles on a replacement chain.

Am I worried about my 07 Chevy 2500 6.0 at 53k miles?

Nah.........................

The BS meter is pegged!

41 - 60 of 86 Posts