GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive through a trailer park / low-end neighborhood as a short cut to get to work. This morning I noticed a huge number of rusting, undriven Camaros and Firebirds with weeds growing up around them or just looking like they were suffering from general neglect (probably blown engines or busted transmissions). Beside them in pristine condition in the driveways? Nice shiny new pickups. I'm not trying to say anything bad about the F-body, or likining it to mobile homes and cement blocks, but my eyes didn't lie, and I didn't see a single 4th gen or new-ish F-body. Just old ones and new (and old) pickups.

It's in this kind of neighborhood that you can spot trends. People in the nicer subdivisions don't hang on to old broken down cars or leave them in their driveways, so you can't see what they USED to drive. I saw at least 5 neglected F-bodies, and so many more spankin' new pickups (some that looked more expensive than the homes...). That's not to mention the huge number of rusted out RWD sedans I saw as well, but these weren't particularly sporty looking - just old cars I couldn't recognize, but big as boats and probably also replaced easily by a crew/quad cab pickup.

Did the "truck revolution" (and SUVs) of the 1990's kill the RWD muscle cars / pony cars?

Did the F-Body owners grow up and get into a more practical RWD alternative, the pickup?

Is the huge number of "sport truck" magazines partly to blame? Is it equally macho or cool to drive a sporty pickup, perhaps more so, than a sporty V8 coupe? Or does it just satisfy your urge to hear a rumbling V8 and throaty exhaust note - something perhaps the modern sports cars forgot (without some serious help from Flowmaster mufflers)?

Is it because pickups got "better" and are more respected now as a sort of hot-rod alternative? Geez, with the number of bolt on performance add-ons for trucks these days, I'd say they rival, and probably nearly surpass the pony car market.

I say it isn't the Civic tuner boyzz who killed the F-body, or high insurance rates (have you seen how much some truck owners spend on their trucks?) but all of the guys who bought pickups instead. Am I right?

What do you think? Are you an ex-pony car owner who now owns a sporty pickup?

·
Registered
471 Posts
When we were in the market for wheels, we didn't even look at sedans, so you may be on to something here. We wound up buying a 98 Chevy ext cab with a 5.7, but it was a utility thing-haul stuff and people, too. But that didn't keep me from putting running boards, Gibson SS cat back exhaust, Granatelli MAF and the KN FilterCharger on it, so it has some oomph.

This is the wife's car, so she enjoys riding high and yelling at the imports, "Get out of my way or I'll squash you like a grape!" When Camaro was winding down, I almost had her talked into trading it for a Z-28 :rolleyes:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I do not think that Pickups killed the affordable RWD car, I think it is the affordable RWD car now. You can get a decent '04 V8 silverado for $20,000 or less. Cheaper than most of the late 4th gens. These days trucks are "cool" with everyone my age (21). On the other hand it seems like the 350Z is the car to have for males in their mid-upper 20s down in Orange County, CA. The current mustang is viewed as a "chick" car mostly, and the Z is the only thing remotely affordable with decent power and RWD.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts