GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After squeezing 73,000 miles out of my stock brakes it was time to upgrade. A quick call later to the nice people at Summit and they sent me out their Ultra Performance Brake Kit with new ceramic pads and rotors (at an excellent price).

I've never done a brake job before but internet instructional videos made me confident (basic hand tools and a dream).

After spending a few brutal winters in Iowa and Nebraska I thought everything would be rusted to hell but I was pleasantly surprised at how easily the stock stuff came off (penetrating lube the night before helped).

A little comparison between the stock brakes and the Summit kit.

Even more surprisingly; the new parts went on relatively easily and bleeding the brake system was cake.

All said and done, if anybody is looking at replacing or upgrading their Silverado's brakes I can highly recommend the Summit Ultra Performance Kit. I saved a ton of money compared to what the local brake shop quoted me for basic replacement brakes and these work amazingly well.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Did you remove the caliper slides and lube them up as well as lubing all contact points between the pads & the caliper to prevent vibration squeel?

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you remove the caliper slides and lube them up as well as lubing all contact points between the pads & the caliper to prevent vibration squeel?
I certainly did, brake grease on the caliper pins and pad tracks and used Locktite anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads. No squeals and I can hear my exhaust again.

I also followed a repair manual to double check the internet videos I watched but the videos were actually more detailed and helpful.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I certainly did, brake grease on the caliper pins and pad tracks and used Locktite anti-squeal grease on the back of the pads. No squeals and I can hear my exhaust again.

I also followed a repair manual to double check the internet videos I watched but the videos were actually more detailed and helpful.
Congrats. You did a much better job than 99.9% of backyard mechanics would do.

·
Registered
7,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congrats. You did a much better job than 99.9% of backyard mechanics would do.
Thank you, its definitely the most involved car maintenance I've ever done but I don't think anybody should be afraid to try the job. The only tools I had to buy were a T55 socket and a 10mm brake bleeder wrench.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
congrats Glad to hear your first brake job went so well. I remember my first brake job back when i was in school for my brakes class a few months back. Unlike yours mine was the brake job from hell. The pads had uneven wear,the rotors were warped, the bleeder screws had to be loosened with the help of a blow torch, and the replacement calipers had stripped threads and needed to be helicoiled. When everything was said and done the brakes worked great. As you do more brake work it'll get easier with time

1 - 6 of 6 Posts