GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased diagnostic software? I was going to buy an OBDII reader (around $100), but then I thought about the diagnostic software for a laptop. There seem to be several vendors who are selling diagnostic setups for $350-$500 for home use.

I would appreciate any experience/recommendations you may have in using laptop diagnostics versus the dedicated handheld types. If you know of any reviews, that would be great too.

thank you,

old dirtbeard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess that information would be helpful. ;)

It started off just wanting to be able to get error codes on my wife's 00 Saturn LW2, but I also have an 03 Savana, so it would be used generally on newer GM vehicles. I have looked at some the diagnositc software screens and they show 160-200 different values, so it would be used to analyze and monitor engine functions on OBDII GM vehicles.

I probably only need one of the handheld OBDII readers, but I like the idea of having it loaded on the laptop with all the additional output like gas milage, shift points, etc.

Again, the laptop versions probably are overkill, but I am a curious sort.

thanks,

old dirtbeard

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up, because I had no idea your question was even car related. I thought you actually wanted to diagnose your computer itself.

Sorry, can't help you on the other thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts