·
Premium Member
5,574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DETROIT MOTOR SHOW: Holden planning SUV attack
Motoring
By Bruce Newton
January 15, 2016

A comprehensive General Motors engineering and design program which is set to deliver at least four SUVs and crossovers to Holden by the end of the decade is starting to come into public view.

The four models Holden can expect to receive are

* A mid-size SUV targeted at the Toyota RAV4 and Mazda CX-5 based on the D2UX architecture.

* A large SUV developed on the standard C1XX’s 2857mm wheelbase.

* A full-size seven-seater based on an extended version of the C1XX architecture and built alongside the Opel Insignia in Germany.

* The second-generation Trax, which is expected to be derived from the Opel Mokka and based on a new architecture that will replace the current G2XX underpinnings.
*Full Article at Link

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Read: everything Cadillac is getting up to 2020.*

*except D2Ux instead of E2UL and I'm not sure what the status is on C1YL, because I'm pretty sure we were just told that got canned? So I don't know what their large crossover will be, as I thought that was coming out ~2018-2020.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Holden Captiva 5 - Buick Envision - Chevrolet Equinox - GMC Terrain - Opel/Vauxhall Antara - D2UX

Holden Captiva 7 - GMC Acadia - Buick Enspire (??) - Chevrolet Blazer (???) - Opel/Vauxhall (???) - C1XX

Holden ??? - Chevrolet Traverse - Buick Enclave - Opel/Vauxhall ??? - C1XX extended

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Yes, starting to make sense now..............

Spring Hill; C1UL (SRX), C1UG (Acadia)

Lansing Delta; C1YB (Enclave), C1YC (Traverse............ AND C1YL (E-Class CUV) +/- July of 2017.
That is incorrect. The GMC will be on the C1Ux platform, C1UG in this case specifically. There is only one wheel base on this platform. I am assuming the XL you speak of, is the C1Yx platform, which will be in the tri-shield half of the showroom. The C1Yx platform is longer and wider than the C1Ux platform, closer to the existing Lambda.

There was originally supposed to be a C1YL, but it was cancelled. There is something smaller than C1UL (XT5) coming though.
One more time for the laymen :p: :

E2SC => new Chevy Malibu
C1UG => new GMC Acadia
C1UL => Cadillac XT5
C1YC => new Chevy Traverse

E2SC is a couple inches narrower, and has a shorter wheelbase than, C1UG.
C1UG is a couple inches narrower, and has a shorter wheelbase than, C1YC.

C1YL => stillborn Cadillac
E2LB => new Buick Lacrosse
E2UL => :D
And for what it's worth:
http://www.blueovalforums.com/forum...upgrade-12-us-plants-under-uaw-pact/?p=957841

C1Yx: Very similar in size to the current Lambda program-
C1YC = NG Chevrolet Traverse

C1Ux: Smaller than current Lambda:
C1UL: Launch Cadillac XT5
C1UG: GMC Acadia
C1YL: Cancelled Cadillac utility

E2xx: NG Epsilon platform, midsize up to full size
E2SC: Launch Chevrolet Malibu
E2LB: NG Buick Enclave
Presumably, the E2 program uses "S" as the 3rd character to denote short or standard wheelbase, and "L" as the 3rd character to denote long wheelbase.

E2UL: Fullsized Cadillac utility
Escalade replacement or supplement?
E2LB doesn't smell right as Enclave, particularly as I've found a reference for a more realistic C1YB; will assume he just goofed.

This guy too, who looks like he's worked on mostly crossover projects: https://www.linkedin.com/in/greg-sabourin-4485a6a

From his projects and the article up for discussion, it looks like E2xx/D2xx/C1xx really could share a lot of commonality.

X5 is a more direct rival than an XT6 or an XT7/8. There's a larger 3 row being shared with Opel coming (E2UL). XT7/8/whatever will supposedly replace the Escalade and will thus be pretty far above X5 (plus much larger).
Dunno where I got that info, but I recall a German article not too far back about how Cadillac and Opel will share an SUV. No reason I can think of to suspect it would be E2Ux, though.

We haven't heard anything about the sub-XT5... someone please shed some light on it for us. Nothing on that or the sub-ATS besides conflicting stories from various sources about FWD and RWD; for instance, a commitment to the UAW for a small Cadillac alongside the Cruze (guess it could be a D2UL, but we haven't heard anything of that), but Cadillac's chief engineer and CMO stating that the sub-ATS will be RWD.

Then we also have this:
Let me clear up some things....

1) The XT5, Acadia, and to be announced Trailblazer/Blazer will be on very similar architecture.
2) The Traverse and XT7 are one size up.

The above do not appear to share platform codes with any of the sedans in the lineup.

3) The Equinox and Terrain are downsizing to the same general platform the Cruze, Verano, ELR, Volt, and CT2 are on.
4) The XT3 is off on its own sharing the same platform as the Impala, Malibu, and LaCrosse. Strange.
5) As we know, the Trax shares architecture with the Sonic and Bolt.
Too many ?s.

I guess it could be possibly C1YL is back on, but it could also be possible that E2UL could be two different programs?

·
Registered
260 Posts
The Acadia/Captiva 7 needs to be made asap. The Colorado7 should never have been made. The interior is woeful for a pickup truck, let alone a 7 seat passenger 4WD. It's become obvious to me that the Colorado7 is just a stopgap, but it was done so terribly.

Trax/Mokka refresh will help.

These 4 SUVs need to be rushed to Australia, especially to try to catch some of the immediate post-Commodore market (if it's true that people ARE leaving sedans for SUVs).

Wonder if we'll be seeing bogans GMC rebadging their Captiva7's? :D

Reactions: hq308

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
They need them now not by the end of the decade, Captiva's are old as hell, Traxx needs a refresh and to get rid of the koala looking front end.
Only thing Colorado 7 has going for it is being decent off road, interior is rubbish.
Seems to me it would of been a good idea to make an SUV here, but we were told years ago it wasn't viable to do so.

·
Registered
799 Posts
They need them now not by the end of the decade, Captiva's are old as hell, Traxx needs a refresh and to get rid of the koala looking front end.
Only thing Colorado 7 has going for it is being decent off road, interior is rubbish.
Seems to me it would of been a good idea to make an SUV here, but we were told years ago it wasn't viable to do so.
Exterior of the Colorado 7 is rubbish as well (well and the Colorado face too) , agree they need the suv's (sadly) now not in 2018/9 please no ugly hand me downs.

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
you do NOT get the colorado7 / trailblazer?
that WOULD be the SUV you are looking for (assuming the COLORADO passes muster)
but I will add the FORD RANGER HAS already had a MCE and it is "class leading" VS the rear gunner the COLORADO sounds like it is

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
you do NOT get the colorado7 / trailblazer?
that WOULD be the SUV you are looking for (assuming the COLORADO passes muster)
but I will add the FORD RANGER HAS already had a MCE and it is "class leading" VS the rear gunner the COLORADO sounds like it is
I driven the Colorado and if i was going to buy another SUV it wouldn't be on the list.
To me an SUV is soft roader not much good off road and with no low range the Colorado 7 is full on 4x4 with low range and is decent off road problem is it's bag of crap on road.
Don't need and don't want a 4x4, I bought the Captiva because I needed a 7 seater at the time and it was a decent handler and well equip.
If I was going to update my 4 year old Captiva now what can Holden sell me thats more modern then I have now.
The 2016 Captiva is basically the same as mine accept it has a different audio system and looks more ugly on the outside. I can buy a $2000 after market audio system that does everything that mylink does and maybe a few more things.
Only other choice is the Colorado 7 and like I've already said I dont need a 4x4 and want my car to ride nice and not to bounce around like a manly ferry in a storm.
Now I wait til Holden finally brings out a new Captiva which im being told could be in 4 yrs time or do I go shopping elsewhere. I can rattle off 15 manufacturers off the top of my head that has a more modern 7 seat SUV then any SUV Holden currently sells.
The Captiva 7 has been a decent seller but my fellow Captiva owners are going to want to upgrade sooner or later and if Holden are basically selling the same car we are waiting to upgrade they will go elsewhere.
Holden needs these cars now not in 2,3 or 4 years time now once again GM is going to be late to the market in segments that continue to grow not just in Australia but else where as well and that will c ost them sales.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts