1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit might build Opel Zafira for European market
Automotive News Europe
November 5, 2007 -- 13:51 CET

General Motors might build the next generation of the Opel Zafira in the US and export it to Europe.

"Exporting this model to Europe has not been ruled out," Klaus Franz, the head of Opel's workers’ council, said to Automotive News Europe’s sister publication Automobilwoche.

At the moment, GM plans to build a Chevrolet minivan that is only marginally different from the Zafira in Detroit beginning in the second quarter of 2009. There is also a Saturn model, based on the Zafira platform code-named Global Delta MPV7, in planning.

The continued weakness of the US dollar makes producing the Zafira in the US attractive.

"At the moment, it's still an unlikely scenario, but the pressure on the European factories is growing," Franz said.

The Zafira is currently produced in Bochum, Germany, and Gliwice, Poland. GM also exports a variation of the Opel Astra to the US for sale as a Saturn. needed to offer a fuel-efficient model in the US quickly despite the exchange rate.

·
Premium Member
9,028 Posts
GM Considers Building Next Gen Opel Zafira Van In USA For Export To Europe

Source: Special Automotive News Email Alert

Automotive News Europe - November 5, 2007

General Motors might build the next generation of the Opel Zafira in the US and export it to Europe.

"Exporting this model to Europe has not been ruled out," Klaus Franz, the head of Opel's workers’ council, said to Automotive News Europe’s sister publication Automobilwoche.

At the moment, GM plans to build a Chevrolet minivan that is only marginally different from the Zafira in Detroit beginning in the second quarter of 2009.

There is also a Saturn model, based on the Zafira platform code-named Global Delta MPV7, in planning.

The continued weakness of the US dollar makes producing the Zafira in the US attractive.

"At the moment, it's still an unlikely scenario, but the pressure on the European factories is growing," Franz said.

·
Premium Member
9,028 Posts
Re: GM Considers Building Next Gen Opel Zafira Van In USA For Export To Europe

Sounds like a ploy for GM Europe vs. European unions structure.

But you never know how low the dollar will go in the next few months.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts

GM needs to start bringing more jobs to the U.S. rather then importing their vehicles and outsourcing! They want people to buy their vehicles and buy American.. but its hard to buy an "American" car these days!

·
Registered
4,548 Posts

wow

so USA might get back into the minivan business..

i do not know how nice the Opal is being.. i never saw it.... but it looks better than what we used to have here...

I hope they just keep it to Chevy and Saturn.. they make the most sense.. especially Saturn.. no Buick or Pontiac.. a minivan does not fit into their company

it kinda looks like a sport van.. so it will be interesting..

·
Registered
274 Posts

I hope this doesnt mean they are thinking about selling the Chevy Version here. That thing is not too good looking

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

I'm assuming since these triplets are going to be built on the DeltaMPV7 platform and will be exported to Europe that these will be 'miniature' minivans like the now defunkt Mazda MPV. But I guess something beats a blank here in the states.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts

So.... Chevy and a Saturn in the same market??? I'm not sure about that.
Well they're competiting in the same market currently with the Malibu/Aura. In comparing both vehicles I don't really see any real advantages of buying one over the other. IMO there should be more distance between the Malibu and Aura when comparing price points and ergonomics. Hopefully this will be resolved within the next couple years.:cool:

·
Registered
3,506 Posts

Saturn is rapidly becoming a lower volume Oldsmobile. Or what Oldsmobile should have become...

I think this minivan would make a good fit for Saturn dealers. I probably wouldn't sell it through Chevrolet dealers.

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts

I would love a 6-7 passenger van that gets far superior mileage compared to the other minivans. A micro-van sounds good to me if it actually yields better mpg. I was kind of interested in the concept of the Mazda 5 when I first saw it didn't get good enough mileage for me to consider it. Maybe I expect too much but the hwy mpg wasn't that great.

From fueleconomy.gov - city/hwy
'07 Uplander - 16/23
'07 Mazda 5 - 19/25

2-3 mpg for a much smaller vehicle. If GM goes this route, I hope for more.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts

Well I am all for manufacturing in the US. But I'm not sure if I would want something like this sold in the US. How is the Mazda 5 selling? This thing looks really.... dinky.

Nice to see they are at least considering increased US production. We rarely get news like that anymore.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts

Ive been saying it for a long time that I thought they planned this for NA. Throw dual sliders on an Opel Van and bowtie it.

·
Registered
45,073 Posts

Well they're competiting in the same market currently with the Malibu/Aura. In comparing both vehicles I don't really see any real advantages of buying one over the other. IMO there should be more distance between the Malibu and Aura when comparing price points and ergonomics. Hopefully this will be resolved within the next couple years.:cool:
Yes.. there should be more distance... But GM's not exactly the best of differentiating between brands within the same market.

But getting a Chevy Zafira and a Saturn Zafira? In the same market? I don't think so. I'm not even sure how big the market for a mini-minivan is!?? And even if they do both get it, how differentiated are they going to be?

·
Premium Member
36,494 Posts

This is great news for American production workers. Especially since Mercedes and BMW has for a long time produced some vehicles here for export.
The great news is that GM is planning a come back into the Minivan market. Right now, Japan/Korea is feasting its heart out on detroits dinner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.