·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit Auto Show 2004: 'Chick cars'
2/13/2004 10:27 AM
By: Rachel Elsberry

Convertibles are often "chick cars."
Much like a fashion statement, a car says something about its driver. A fast little number can show a love for living life on the edge; a minivan might mean a mom's inside or maybe just an auto executive; and a truck is truly tough.

Then there are cars that are strictly for the ladies. You've heard the term -- they're called "chick cars".

"I think the smaller cars are chick cars. The Miata is obviously a chick car," Bob Gordan, president of The Autochannel.com, said.

Gordon knows a chick car when he sees one. He said more and more women today care as much about the cars they drive as men do.

"I have a 17-year-old daughter and I wouldn't say she's car crazy, but she knows about cars," Gordan said.

A lot of the chick cars out there are topless such as the Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible and the Volkswagen Bug convertible.

Men aren't being overlooked. For the fellas, Gordon said automobiles are necessary equipment. The opposite of being a chick car is a chick magnet.

"I always say that the automobile is a young man's second most important thing," Gordan said.

When it comes to that second most important thing, the Pontiac Solstice just might fit the bill.

"It looks like a male car. They're going after the 20-something guy who's you know wants to look cool and it does look cool," Gordan said.

Be warned when going topless, the Solstice doesn't have much trunk space. It's all something to keep in mind when considering the statement you want to make with your next car.

Something for sales people to keep in mind are women have a lot of power in the auto industry. They buy more than 50 percent of cars and light trucks, and influence more than 85 percent of all household purchases.

Article Here

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The New Beetle and the PT Cruiser were chick cars from the start. Making them topless only made it more blatant to anyone who wasn't already aware. Convertibles aren't exclusively chick cars, of course, as was pointed out w/ the Solstice, and as of course applies to the V8 Mustangs and F-bodies. Verts are quite fun to drive, even the ones that are chick cars.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
But the Solstice isn't a chick car. It's saved from chick car status by the cool flares (anyone got a better word?) that extend back from the headrests across the trunk lid. They make the car look more race car than some secretary's fashion accessory.

Three cheers to Mr. Lutz and his team for keeping them on the production car. That's just the kind of feature they tend to eliminate from a concept car as it goes toward production.

(Speaking of which - has anyone yet seen a picture of the Solstice with its top up? I'm concerned that the topis going to be an odd looking thing given that it appears it will have to rise up directly behind the headrests where the trunk lid closes. Anyone seen anything yet?)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Honda Civic, chick car. no one can argue with that. every time i see someone thinking they are vin diesil in a honda civic i laugh.

Alan

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
at a flea market years ago i saw an ad (poster) for a car... i think it was 60's plymouth (correct me if i'm wrong) called 'la femme' (woman in french)... it came with extra vanity mirrors and lipstick and make-up holders and that sorta thing... i think it was in girly colours too... now THAT was the ultimate chicks car!

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
La Femme lasted for like year I believe...to quote someone from another website:
The La Femme is a special Custom Royal trim option with Heather Rose and Sapphire White color combinations. A matching cape, boots, umbrella, shoulder bag, and floral tapestry-like fabrics are the feminine niceties available with this Custom Royal package. There are compartments built into the back of each front seat for stowing all of this gear. This model is not so unusual when one considers the frequency of women, and women drivers, in the 55 Dodge sales literature. The hidden message seems to be "this car is easy to drive" and "this ear is for both husband and wife." My grandmother tooled around town in my 55 when it was new, and my wife just loves to drive it (at least that is what her friends tell me).

It only lasted from '55 to '56

1 - 7 of 7 Posts