GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Detroit’s Cobo Hall to get $90M upgrade to keep manufacturers from jumping ship

Detroit’s mayor is trying to keep the city’s North American International Auto Show alive and healthy, by introducing an expansion effort to Detroit’s Cobo Hall, the show’s venue. This comes after earlier news that Suzuki will not be present at the 2009 show. The proposed $90 million undertaking would add 80,000 square feet of display space to the venue.

Suzuki’s reason for abandoning the show was a lack of display space, which the plan would address, but other manufacturers, such as Porsche, left in 2008 on account of a poor sales in the area. The added space would come from areas in the Cobo Arena, and the whole plan is meant to act as a short-term fix before a planned larger-scale, $585 million expansion is completed.

“We’re working out the details now,” Deputy Mayor Anthony Adams told the Detroit News. “This will get done. This has to get done. We cannot lose any more vendors.”

How the city will pay for the project is another matter that needs resolving. The plan is to extend taxes on surrounding area hotels that were introduced to help pay for building Cobo Hall back in 1979. The tax is due to expire in 2015, but only $113 million of the $250 million was ever collected. There is also controversy regarding the two-stage revamping of the hall, and who will pay for any unforeseen expenses.

If a way to fund the project is found and it’s approved, the added space would represent a 11.4 percent increase in exhibition space, as Cobo currently offers 700,000 square feet

www.leftlanenews.com

·
Registered
34 Posts
They have been dragging their feet on this expansion. It is nice to see that something is finally being done, although at the moment it would appear to be only the bare minimum. Years and years this idea has been tossed back and forth but nothing happens. It saddens me that companies have to start leaving the show before things get done. And still I don't feel confident that things will be completed. Cobo Hall is a small ugly building. Things need to happen yesterday not tomorrow.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Rename it the Cobocabana, then Barry Manilow can perform there. That will bring in the crowds.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe they should have sent out some text messages? That might have been more effective?

Seriously, Cobo has needed attention for years and Detroit has just let it go like most everything else in the city. Its a shame.

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Lack of leadership. The shortage that's killing America.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
They are just now figuring this out? No wonder Detroit is such a dump. Sorry, but the truth...
Thats Detroits mayor for ya! Too busy with phone sex instead of doing his job.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Thats Detroits mayor for ya! Too busy with phone sex instead of doing his job.
You said it King Kwame and his thugs are an embarrassment to Detroit. He is so busy having text and and other illicit activities that he has let the city's morale and business fronts deteriorate to the point they are now

·
Registered
211 Posts
less then a 12% expansion? meh

only thing that concerns me is where the real estate will come from for a significant expansion:
river on one side and streets on the other three. build out to the riverfront?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
You said it King Kwame and his thugs are an embarrassment to Detroit. He is so busy having text and and other illicit activities that he has let the city's morale and business fronts deteriorate to the point they are now
when people elect illiterates to run the city what do you expect

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Actually it's only $80M for the upgrade. $10M goes to KwaME

·
Premium Member
35,878 Posts
Other than the minor problem of funding, why not do as the championship Detroit Lions football team did and go where the real estate is cheaper and the politicians at least approach a room temp IQ? :confused: :eek:

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
So the city has no money to pay for this, but they're going to spend a half billion so that the automakers can have a show/party for 1 week a year? And as if Detroit doesn't have more pressing needs year around? Talk about poor/corrupt leadership.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Not knowing where the funding for "unforeseen problems" will come from is a big concern...I work in the industry and am going to school to become an architect...I know that you CAN NOT build anything without an "unforeseen problem"

Here in southern kentucky you can't build a shed without finding a sink hole under it...

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Last couple of years have not filled lower level completly , and the vender
that was there looks like fill -ins .
I'm pretty sure that they could fit more into what they have...that wow factor isn't there though and I'm sure thats the underlying influence to spend money on this renovation.

I've worked on jobs where thousands was spent to add space to a building that was soon to be torn down in about a year!

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
They are just now figuring this out? No wonder Detroit is such a dump. Sorry, but the truth...

I agree... for the jewel of the auto industry, the facilities are terrible. We went there for once for the auto show and haven't been back since. Chicago is closer, easier to park at, better facilities, and more room.... a real no brainer.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Lack of leadership. The shortage that's killing America.
Yep the problem isn't only in Detroit. We just happen to get more attention since we have a Mayor who is very "high profile."

What they need to do is knock down Joe Louis and Cobo Arena's. Move the Wings to Fox Town near the Tigers and Lions. Once the Arena's on the river are gone, triple the size of Cobo.

Brooks Paterson, Bob Ficano, and Kwame Kilpatrick need to get off their collective asses and stop blaming each other and do something. Macomb county commissioners need to remove their head from the sand and seriously take part in regional activities.

I'd go as far as to drag Washtenaw and Genese counties in thereby bringing Flint and Ann Arbor into the discussion. U of M needs to contribute more to the region (right now most of their wealth is spread exclusively in the Ann Arbor area), and the City of Flint needs to piggy back off of the Detroit region before it utterly collapses.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
less then a 12% expansion? meh

only thing that concerns me is where the real estate will come from for a significant expansion:
river on one side and streets on the other three. build out to the riverfront?
Cobo, for those of you who don't know actually sits on top of Larned Street and the Lodge Freeway.

The back side of the building is basically more of the Lodge Freeway and not much else.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=...998,-83.049946&spn=0.008471,0.021007&t=k&z=16

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
What they need to do is knock down Joe Louis and Cobo Arena's. Move the Wings to Fox Town near the Tigers and Lions. Once the Arena's on the river are gone, triple the size of Cobo..
Where in the hell is the money going to come from to tear down both arenas, build the Wings a new arena, and then expand Cobo Hall? They are just now getting ready to tear down Tiger Stadium...9 years after the Tigers stopped playing there. Detroit is broke, and the state of MI isn't much further behind...the economy here is the worst in the U.S., and I can think of better uses for our tax money than to expand a dumpy old building.

I give Gov. Grandmole enough of my money...I don't need to be giving her more just to prop up an auto show that has long been outclassed by the one in Chicago.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts