GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A rumor has been started on the internet, that automatic equipped GTO?s were having some sort of computer issue that was causing acceleration problems. I spoke with Pontiac today about these concerns, and got to what I feel is the bottom of the issue, so here is the scoop. All GTO?s that have shown up thus far in magazine tests and such were part of the pilot run of about 25 GTO?s. In other words, they are not actual production cars that people will ever buy, instead they are test vehicles which are built for the purpose of showing the media and working out any problems before real production. Due to the all the powertrain and exhaust changes that GM made in converting the Monaro to the GTO, an issue arose concerning the relocation of a wiring harness that among other things was integral to the traction control system. Basically the new location was causing the wiring harness was becoming pinched or damaged in some way, which caused the traction control system to act erratically under hard acceleration. The common malfunction from the wiring issue was that it caused throttle relaxer portion of the three-stage TCS system to kick in too early when the car was floored. This obviously caused the computer to cut power to the engine and hurt acceleration numbers. This problem only affected automatic PILOT GTO?s and has been corrected for all production GTO?s, including the ones already on US soil. To our knowledge, the only magazine that tested a car with the wiring problem according to Pontiac was Pontiac Enthusiast. Again, please remember this does not affect production GTO?s and that it is common to have issues with pilot cars, that is why they make them.

Also on another note, the second shipment of GTO?s has arrived in San Diego, which leaves the total in the states now at over 900!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just recently drove a six speed manual and the only thing that is truly noticeable is that the traction control is very slack. It will only take over in extreme situations and at that point you already are in trouble.

As a powertrain and performance car it delivers. But there are some quirks that would scare people away from it. Like the lack of trunk space due to the installation of the US fuel tank inside of it.

No power locks. Awkward location of the hand brake. Slippery clutch pedals when wet (maybe never in SoCal but in the midwest a real possibility) and rear seats that are nice to look at but unlikely usable.

The G6 GT, GP Comp G and GTO are all similiarly priced by less than $3k

·
Registered
12 Posts
I dont have a GTO but a monaro and I can assure you that the rear seats are very useable and comfortable over long distances. Luckily the monaro doesnt have the small trunk as per the GTO so I dont have that problem. As for the power lock, who wants them anyway. If you want to lock the door just push down the drivers lock and both will lock.

From experience the pedals are not slippery in the wet due to the rubber pimples for another word.

As for the handbrake it is perfect for the right hand drive B)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I herd this story and I wanted to bounce it off of the educated minds of GMI. I work at a Pontiac, Buick, GMC dealership and we're getting 8 GTO's. What I herd is that you can't let the 1st one out of showroom and on the new car lot until the next one comes in. I'm not sure how accurate this but I'm wondering if you guys herd anything about it.

Brendan, Pontiac's marketing people told dealers that 75 % of the GTO's they sold would be automatics. I think the marketing dept needs a wake up call

1 - 4 of 4 Posts