1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wards Auto News

October 2, 2014

Article Quotes:

But whereas GM’s bigger pickups are all about towing and hauling capability, the message behind the Colorado and Canyon will focus on the lifestyle aspect of ownership. “You know you want a truck, this truck,” is the go-to-market message for the Colorado.

“It’s a pickup you can commute in every day, and it’s sophisticated enough for the weekend,” Piszar says.

The first batch of pickups to arrive at dealers will be the volume-grabbing crew cabs with the longer, 74-in. (183-cm) box. Within a couple of weeks, GM’s Wentzville, MO, assembly plant will begin producing crew-cab models with the 62-in. (157-cm) box.

Output of extended-cab pickups with the long box will follow. Dealers should have a full complement of body styles by January.

For the Colorado, GM expects close to 70% of buyers to choose the 3.6L V-6 with a 6-speed automatic transmission over the 2.5L 4-cyl. with the identical gearbox. Only a handful of buyers are expected to mate the smaller engine with a manual transmission.

Duncan Allred, the newly minted vice president of GMC sales and marketing, hopes a Denali-branded Canyon will be in the cards. An upscale treatment to the pickup in the future would likely give sales a boost against fresher competition.

“We don’t have one imminent,” Allred says. “But I’m pushing for it.”

Allred says a Canyon Denali would have to offer “something different” to the range-topping SLT trim line. “No badge engineering,” he says. “We want Denali to be a long-term, credible brand.”

The luxurious Denali trim line to the Yukon large SUV now commands a whopping 70% of the truck’s sales. But the Terrain Denali CUV missed the mark, with only 10% of buyers choosing the 5-passenger CUV’s priciest trim. It lacked differentiation, Allred admits.

“Consumers are smart,” he says. “The Terrain does not offer a lot as a Denali.”

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The luxurious Denali trim line to the Yukon large SUV now commands a whopping 70% of the truck’s sales.

If anyone here ever again calls for the folding of the GMC brand, it would be best to store the above quote in your mind. The profit percentage on sales of those Yukons must be incredible. I would guess that GM would clear $20,000+ on every Yukon Denali sold.

Bravo GMC, bravo. Let's share the sub-brand with other GMC product - but do it as stated in the article - with a real difference.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
The luxurious Denali trim line to the Yukon large SUV now commands a whopping 70% of the truck’s sales.
Pent up demand. What was it, 8 years from when the last Gen launched? People love Yukon Denali's, its been my favorite SUV for as long as they've been around.

But the Terrain Denali CUV missed the mark, with only 10% of buyers choosing the 5-passenger CUV’s priciest trim. It lacked differentiation, Allred admits. “Consumers are smart,” he says. “The Terrain does not offer a lot as a Denali.”
DON"T DILUTE THE BRAND!!!! Every Denali should have an engine upgrade. Period. They also should define what key features define Denali, doing it haphazzard doesn't work and can damage the brand.

If anyone here ever again calls for the folding of the GMC brand, it would be best to store the above quote in your mind. The profit percentage on sales of those Yukons must be incredible. I would guess that GM would clear $20,000+ on every Yukon Denali sold.
^ This. Nonsensical to call for the demise of one of the most profitable and positively recognizable nameplates in the entire company.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
I can't imagine Duncan Allred of GMC has a very difficult job.

The Terrain doesn't offer a lot as a Denali, but does the Yukon..? Denali is fine, but they've done absolutely nothing with it besides keep it a standard fare top trim.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts

Bravo GMC, bravo. Let's share the sub-brand with other GMC product - but do it as stated in the article - with a real difference.
I'm a fan of GMC. But just because Denali is a successful trim for GMC, doesn't prove that a similar Chevy trim level wouldn't be just as profitable or more profitable. Because there are more Chevy dealers there potentially would be more "Denali" level sales if Chevy had a similar trim.....and more money for GM....

·
Registered
505 Posts
A friend of mine traded in her G-Class (which she said was hands down the worst car she's ever owned) for a new fully loaded Tahoe, and dang that thing is nice, I can't wait to get inside of a new Yukon Denali!

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm a fan of GMC. But just because Denali is a successful trim for GMC, doesn't prove that a similar Chevy trim level wouldn't be just as profitable or more profitable. Because there are more Chevy dealers there potentially would be more "Denali" level sales if Chevy had a similar trim.....and more money for GM....
Exactly my point.

Chevy does have a trim equal to the Denali, and no one seems to know about it. Say hello to the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado High Country:

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I was more inclined to like the Canyon look, now after more pictures etc. I think the Colorado is better overall. But need to see what Denali has in store for the Canyon.........

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Exactly my point.

Chevy does have a trim equal to the Denali, and no one seems to know about it. Say hello to the 2014 Chevrolet Silverado High Country:

High Country isn't on par with Denali trim.....
Did you really expect a few months of High Country trim to equal years of Denali success and marketing? Dont be naive!
GM has severely denied Chevy of any luxury trims for years!! I think High Country will only be the beginning of more luxury trims for Chevy....

·
Premium Member
8,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
High Country isn't on par with Denali trim.....
Did you really expect a few months of High Country trim to equal years of Denali success and marketing? Done be naive!
GM has severely denied Chevy of any luxury trims for years!! I think High Country will only be the beginning of more luxury trims for Chevy....
Let's hope you are correct. The higher the ATP, the better for GM.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts

I was thinking the same thing. They have to be making $20k+ on these, and people have called for GMC to be closed. I can just picture a meeting at GM's corporate headquarters. New guy says, I really think we should close down GMC. I know we make a $hit ton of money selling GMC trucks and suv's, but we already have these same vehicles over at Chevrolet. new guy gets shown the door and sent back to business school...haha

·
Registered
21,318 Posts
I can't imagine Duncan Allred of GMC has a very difficult job.

The Terrain doesn't offer a lot as a Denali, but does the Yukon..? Denali is fine, but they've done absolutely nothing with it besides keep it a standard fare top trim.
I was thinking the same thing myself............. :think:

Additionally, not only could Chevrolet be stronger, since $$$ isn't an issue, wouldn't GM be selling more Escalades, which would get more customers inside of Cadillac Dealers, driving more ATS/CTS/SRX sales to the wifey?

Exactly my point.

How long has that truck been out?

What is the take rate on the Sierra Denali? compare apples to oranges much?

·
Registered
389 Posts
The article mentions the Terrain missed the Mark on the Denali trim and how it does not offer very much for the price you pay. Well the same can be said for the Acadia, and the newest Sierra Denali

To me what made the first and second generation Sierra Denali so much nicer than the SLT was the more powerful engine, and the AWD system. The different fake wood grain trim did not really matter to me. Now you can get the Denali with the 5.3 and with regular 4WD so to me it lost its appeal. I would rather just buy an SLT and not pay the extra premium (and i could still get the 6.2).

With the Acadia and Terrain there really is not any difference between the SLT and the Denali besides the different wood grain and a slightly different grille and bumper. Not worth it

I really think that GMC has diluted the Denali name and slapped it on everything just to make a couple extra bucks, and its very frustrating.

If it was up to me the Sierra Denali would only come with 6.2L and in AWD or 2WD. The Yukon Denali would be the same. The Acadia would be in AWD with the 5.3L, not really sure what to do about the terrain. I think if GMC also does a Colorado Denali it should also come with the 5.3L

Reactions: 377Z

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I disagree, people don't walk in and get up-sold to Yukon Denali's, they walk in wanting a Denali. GMC has already cultivated a more "prestigious" image in SUV's than Chevrolet and there is nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
I disagree, people don't walk in and get up-sold to Yukon Denali's, they walk in wanting a Denali. GMC has already cultivated a more "prestigious" image in SUV's than Chevrolet and there is nothing wrong with that.
People get upsold every day if their are competent salesmen involved from your Vodka ordered in your drink to yes the Denali. It is GM who bestowed/cultivated a more "prestigious" image for GMC and dumb downed Chevrolet because they were scared to infringe on GMC toes.....which was/is stupid in my mind. Both could can coexist together....

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.