GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Chorus is rising among GM's armchair CEO's and chairmans of the board some whose cyber residence is GMi that GM kill hummer, pontiac buick or saab etc.
There has been tons of Arm chair opinions given. Which makes me wonder. Since GM has Vauxhaul, Opel, Daewoo, wouling, holden and even some holding brands in places like Russia, why are we not seeing demands for the death of these foreign brands from our well informed Cyber CEO's.

After all it makes no sense for GM to have all those brands in china or Europe if the aurguments given here hold water in North America, they should hold water universally.

From my Cyber CEO position, killing brands and therefore killing sales makes no sense. Focus should be growth not death. Focus on products accross all brands is the only way to make this work. You cannot expect to slice yourself up to profitability. What did killing Olds achieve? Did they even consider giving olds a chance to go global? If I had my way olds would have gotten retro and gone global. HHR, SSR, Nomad concept, etc all would be marketed as olds. There would be no need to redesign the styling, just keep it as is and improve on powertrains etc.. Just like the willy jeep. Its been there for what? 70 years? and it still sells.

Take for example hummer, there are waiting lines in Africa to buy Hummer. some wait for Hummer to grow old, others wait for new ones. Why should GM kill it? Its one brand that can command prices north of $150,000.00 if done properly. If GM kills it, what will happen when new power trains or energy prices come down, and they have no land rover or Hummer? Hummer also has a global name earned for GM by none other than our boys US marines and US Army. Where do you get that kind of advertisement?
Saab too is global.

Long term thinking involves not making rush decisions. My thinking is that instead of killing Brands GM should grow them. For example, Pontiac should perhaps try to sell in Japan only beggining with the solstice, and then move slowly to Korea etc...
Solstice is one product that can easily get cult following if marketed properly.

there is my rant

·
Registered
286 Posts
There has been tons of Arm chair opinions given. Which makes me wonder. Since GM has Vauxhaul, Opel, Daewoo, wouling, holden and even some holding brands in places like Russia, why are we not seeing demands for the death of these foreign brands from our well informed Cyber CEO's.

After all it makes no sense for GM to have all those brands in china or Europe if the aurguments given here hold water in North America, they should hold water universally.
North America has the most brand duplication in the one market, no other market whether it be australia, china or europe comes even close. Cutting the other brand names makes no sense whatsoever.

The issue is that duplicating your development, production, dealership and marketing efforts in the NA market could well cost more than the extra sales generated are worth.

·
Banned
6,921 Posts
Yeah, I understand what you're saying.

But I'm with the other folks on this one.
Chevrolet and Cadillac should be killed immediately.
Everything else can stay.
GM's future focus should be the affordable excitement of Pontiac.

I'm certainly not going to bother with emerging demographics, market studies, sales trends or pro-forma change analyses.
Or even trying to grow GM. I'm more concerned about pontificating and looking good right now.

Sincerely,

Yertle

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
The issue is that duplicating your development, production, dealership and marketing efforts in the NA market could well cost more than the extra sales generated are worth.
Nothing of those is necessitated by GM having specific brands - it is just poor management. Brands are not responsible for that.

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
If I had my way olds would have gotten retro and gone global. HHR, SSR, Nomad concept, etc all would be marketed as olds.
That shure makes sense. GM tries now to market the HHR as a "premium" vehicle here and sales are negligible, because nobody would pay that much for a Chevrolet. Chrysler at least introduced the PT as the CHEAPEST vehicle.

·
Premium Member
35,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
North America has the most brand duplication in the one market, no other market whether it be australia, china or europe comes even close. Cutting the other brand names makes no sense whatsoever.

GM has almost all brands in China. From Saab, to Hummer to Cadillac, Opel, Buick, even Wulling and joint ventures with SAIC...
So, you think that simply becouse you are uprofitable, you should shut down some of your business units? Instead of doing things to improve sales?

Nothing of those is necessitated by GM having specific brands - it is just poor management. Brands are not responsible for that.
For once I agree with you Iman Bravada, Management is part of the problem. For example, killing SRX and GTO becouse they did not do well the first time, instead of going and looking what went wrong, and improving on it... until they get it right. Last I checked the X5 does very well. Why not keep on improving their SRX until it can take on X5 and Cayenne. X5 has many variants, so does Porsche. Perhaps that is what the SRX was missing. Also, the GTO could easily be adapted to take on things like the Lower end BMW's coupes in terms of refinement and execution, why not go back to the drawing board and give it another run?

That shure makes sense. GM tries now to market the HHR as a "premium" vehicle here and sales are negligible, because nobody would pay that much for a Chevrolet. Chrysler at least introduced the PT as the CHEAPEST vehicle.
With olds, It would be very easy to load up the HHR with goodies and upscale interior etc that would easily make the vehicle premium.
Iman, you and I are on the same wavelength here.

·
Super Moderator
21,022 Posts
I'm not a big fan of killing brands either. I believe that brand management is the key in today's market. All of GM's brands can still continue to exist, only they need to be streamlined to their focus market. Production needs to be revamped too, we don't need 50 Silverados sitting on a dealer lot when nobody wants them. Instead, put all that manpower to good use building cars that people want, like the Malibu.
And I also agree that just because something's wrong with a product, you don't immediately kill it. Figure out what's wrong with it, correct the problem, and you might just have a huge hit on your hands once it's been improved.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
For once I agree with you Iman Bravada, Management is part of the problem. For example, killing SRX and GTO becouse they did not do well the first time, instead of going and looking what went wrong, and improving on it... until they get it right. Last I checked the X5 does very well. Why not keep on improving their SRX until it can take on X5 and Cayenne. X5 has many variants, so does Porsche. Perhaps that is what the SRX was missing. Also, the GTO could easily be adapted to take on things like the Lower end BMW's coupes in terms of refinement and execution, why not go back to the drawing board and give it another run?
The SRX isn't dead, it is going through a major styling. They killed the GTO because Holden stopped making the Monaro.

·
Premium Member
35,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The SRX isn't dead, it is going through a major styling. They killed the GTO because Holden stopped making the Monaro.
A RWD based SRX is dead. There is no way the FWD based SRX can be passed on for the same pricing as the current SRX.
I actually might be able to pick up a great V8 SRX for my wife soon..
If there will be any left in stock after the new one come, it could be the deal of a lifetime!!!

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Don't worry! GM is issuing $10 Billion dollars more in junkbonds so that all your "damaged brands" can swirl around the bowl for a few more years.

Actually I don't think the real issue is brands at all, it is too many dealership networks.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Gm does not need to kill any brands. All that will do is decrease their market share and increase their image as a dying company.

GM needs to concentrate on making a few world class competitors for each brand, ride out the storm of high gas prices, and add to the portfolio of models as profits and the economy improve.

In a few years GM will have all the "dogs" out of their lineup, their image will improve as more cars with the style and quality of the Solstice, Malibu, Enclave, G8, CTS etc. are introduced and their current stock price will look like a bargin in 2011.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Don't worry! GM is issuing $10 Billion dollars more in junkbonds so that all your "damaged brands" can swirl around the bowl for a few more years.

Actually I don't think the real issue is brands at all, it is too many dealership networks.
You know, I really think/ thought that borrowing if necessary would be the way to go and not drop anything and yea, 10 billion, maybe less maybe more would be about right.

However, I think the number needed in that scenario could actually be headed lower - by a lot as we speak.

That's because of the enormous potential of the highly negative information concerning labor practices at Toyota and Toyota's subcontractor base - in Japan as well as overseas.

That's not just for Toyota, but also all the other Asian brands as well including Honda, Nissan, and Hyundai and that's not just in regards to NA either.

This is why we're seeing the article's mentioned here - pure and simple its to deflect attention from that and shift it as negatively as possible onto GM and their very real and difficult challenges they currently face.

This is just the start - Toyota appears to have had no idea this was coming so the next 2 - 4 weeks are going to be interesting one way and another - probably starting in earnest tomorrow in the early AM.

What we got here is just a holding action until the heavier response can come along although this kinda' stuff will be one of their axises of attack.

Also, NO President or Presidential hopeful is going to want to be in the history books as having been in office when 3/3 or 2/3 or possibly even 1/3 go down.

The American people are in a different mood about outsourcing jobs to basically 'modern' slave labor alternatives than they were even just two or three years ago.

They also don't like it when they feel they've be mislead and lied to and since there has been so much of that going around lately maybe this can be a lightning road for all of that.

·
Registered
443 Posts

I'm certainly not going to bother with emerging demographics, market studies, sales trends or pro-forma change analyses.
Or even trying to grow GM. I'm more concerned about pontificating and looking good right now.

Sincerely,

Yertle
If you aren't joking...you sir are an idiot

·
Banned
1,083 Posts
You guys have to give me one good reason for such drastic changes. As far as I know, GM has the best products in the industry. GM has the best:
  • misize sedan (Malibu I4) Honda Accord and Toyota Camry are close
  • large sedan (Buick Lucerne) Toyota Avalon has no smooth V8 option and the V6 model is too cheap.
  • premium sedan (Cadillac CTS) One could argue for the Infiniti G35, but CTS is still the better car, overall.
  • sportscar (Corvette)
  • 1/2-ton pickup truck (Silvarado)
  • large suv (Outlook/Enclave/Acadia)
  • roadster (Sky Red Line) Improved transmission makes it better than any Miata or S2000
  • Truck-based SUV (Escalade)
  • Hybrid (Tahoe Hybrid) gets Green Car Journal's "Green Car of the Year" award, getting about the same mileage as the Highlander hybrid)
Granted, other GM models may be merely "good enough", such as the Cobalt or Saturn Vue. Other than that, can we find an automaker with such an illustriuos lineup? I can't find one that comes close.

·
Premium Member
9,366 Posts
GM just needs to pick a plan and STICK WITH IT. All this indecision isn't good for the health of the brand while they're deciding or any strategic long term planning at all. Customers are turned away and morale is surely lowered at the brands and indeed the whole company.

·
Registered
7,418 Posts

·
Registered
4,883 Posts

Sincerely,

Yertle
I understand you are possibly suffering from Plutonium poisoning, please get some help.:lmao:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts