GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(CNN)Kia, Hyundai's South Korean sister brand, has been trying for years to be seen as more than just a maker of inexpensive cars for buyers on a budget.

Success has come gradually, but has now been capped off in the form a three-row crossover SUV named after Colorado ski town. Kia's award-winning Telluride is selling so fast that its West Point, Georgia, factory can't make them fast enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/success/kia-telluride-suv-demand/index.html

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
(CNN)Kia, Hyundai's South Korean sister brand, has been trying for years to be seen as more than just a maker of inexpensive cars for buyers on a budget.

Success has come gradually, but has now been capped off in the form a three-row crossover SUV named after Colorado ski town. Kia's award-winning Telluride is selling so fast that its West Point, Georgia, factory can't make them fast enough.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/23/success/kia-telluride-suv-demand/index.html
I recently looked at a new Telluride at the local Ford / Kia dealership, when I had my Expedition in for service. I did not drive it.

I was VERY impressed with the exterior and interior design. It is a VERY good looking vehicle, and does not look like the rest of the small to midsize SUV’s and CUV’s that all have black plastic moldings on the wheel openings, front and rear bumper covers, and the grille.

The Telluride has a massive amount of features and content for the price. I can see why they are selling well. They are built in America too.

·
Registered
16,642 Posts
I myself don't care for the exterior styling, but it certainly wins on price and content. No surprise I'm seeing a lot of them, I can see them taking a lot of market share. GM's updated trucks better be good.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD
11,466 Posts
I guess this is a "good" problem to have. I prefer the styling on the Palisade over this Telluride myself and I think it is amazing the progress and success that H/K has made and become.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I guess this is a "good" problem to have. I prefer the styling on the Palisade over this Telluride myself and I think it is amazing the progress and success that H/K has made and become.
Its funny how I look at the two, I prefer the Palisade Limited over all, but prefer the Telluride over the lower Palisade trims.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We dove one last weekend! In the market for such a vehicle and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was very nice, the interior deserves top marks and then some. The driving experience was completely average, it stopped, steered, and went down the road just fine, didn't excite or disappoint in any way. I did find it a tiny bit lacking in the power department (after testing a Explorer ST lol) and the third row tight.

Overall it had some very nice features. Here in Canada they're over $55,000 loaded and still think its a bargain.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
We dove one last weekend! In the market for such a vehicle and I wanted to see what the fuss was about. It was very nice, the interior deserves top marks and then some. The driving experience was completely average, it stopped, steered, and went down the road just fine, didn't excite or disappoint in any way. I did find it a tiny bit lacking in the power department (after testing a Explorer ST lol) and the third row tight.

Overall it had some very nice features. Here in Canada they're over $55,000 loaded and still think its a bargain.
Tight 3rd row is my only complaint on the Palisade/Telluride another 6" of wheelbase and it'll be perfect

·
Premium Member
32,744 Posts

I tell you, Chevrolet strikes the perfect balance in this segment. No fuss, just a good solid product, and it can get up and go.. but wait for the refresh...

·
Registered
971 Posts
Traverse is a solid product with right dimensions but its cheap interior and high price make people look for other options. GM need to improve interior and price right the product.

The refresh2021 update makes it looks really great exterior.

What it lacks is refined interior and electrified options, say a Hybrid/PHEV offering with E-AWD and possible GM should do EV on this product to really address families. Even GM charging for the safety is not right. Lot safety options are paid options with GM vs others provide it as standard.

·
Premium Member
32,744 Posts
The Traverse is definitely the best minivan.
Yes, Its a family Hauler and does not pretend not to be. Practical

Traverse is a solid product with right dimensions but its cheap interior and high price make people look for other options. GM need to improve interior and price right the product.

What it lacks is refined interior and electrified options, say a Hybrid/PHEV offering with E-AWD and possible GM should do EV on this product to really address families. Even GM charging for the safety is not right. Lot safety options are paid options with GM vs others provide it as standard.
No need for additional complexity, or fancy interiors the kids will trash anyways.. what you need is an interior that will hold together to abuse... and you need mother to get where she is taking little Tanisha in a hurry, and yup, if mother is in a hurry, she can get going pretty quick...

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

The big Traverse issue is definitely the interior. It's ok - that's all.

Kia has made the Telluride look and feel luxurious.

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
The Traverse is definitely the best minivan.
Nah...nothing is better than a minivan at being a minivan...the C1s are the best in segment at people moving that's about it, but that is against other similarly priced CUVs...If you want tech, latest safety features, amenities, etc. and don't care so much about cargo space behind the 3rd row or 3rd row legroom, go somewhere else.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Seriously considered a Telluride until I found out the ONLY trim level that does not have second row buckets is the LX, which otherwise checked all the boxes. Did not want to pay an extra $7K for the SX with all the extras I really did not want.
Ended up with a Traverse. Great vehicle. More room, smoother ride and BETTER economy than the Telluride. With second row buckets!!

·
Registered
18,119 Posts
Seriously considered a Telluride until I found out the ONLY trim level that does not have second row buckets is the LX, which otherwise checked all the boxes. Did not want to pay an extra $7K for the SX with all the extras I really did not want.
Ended up with a Traverse. Great vehicle. More room, smoother ride and BETTER economy than the Telluride. With second row buckets!!
You can get buckets on the S trim that starts at $34,430.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Tight 3rd row is my only complaint on the Palisade/Telluride another 6" of wheelbase and it'll be perfect
For their size, they both have pretty roomy 3rd rows (only slightly bigger than the Highlander, but with considerably roomier 3rd row).

Something like the Traverse is a good bit longer - 7.2" longer than the Telluride (and even more so compared to the Palisade).

Not everyone has that kind of room in their garage and the Traverse is too big for most overseas markets.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts