GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am active duty military overseas and for the past few years you have not been a part of the militarys new car sales program. I think you are really missing out on sales here. There are a lot of people who buy from there and currently our only choices are Ford and Chrysler products. I was really hoping that GM would join this program because my wife and I were looking at getting a CTS and Tahoe. I may now have to settle for something like a Charger and Expedition. Not only would you potentially get many sales if you participated but you would be showing more support for our Active Duty forces. Are there any plans to join so our active duty people can purchase your vehicles?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Great question. I know a couple that literally bought a new Chrysler and a new Ford while overseas, then took delivery once stateside. (PT cruiser and a Focus) It could have been an HHR and an Astra, or Cobalt.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Heh, I remember being at Warner Kaserne in Bamberg in the late 1980s, and the AAFES new car sales office was inside the "Mini PX". There was a little bricked yard out front with room for three, maybe four, vehicles, and I don't ever remember seeing a GM vehicle on it. It was overwhelmingly Chrysler — usually a Horizon, Sundance, and Jeep Wrangler — with the odd Ford making an appearance here and there.

Most people just bought cheap used cars off the German economy and most of the new cars bought by personnel there seemed to be Fords and Chryslers. I figured AAFES had some sort of deal with Chrysler, like they did with Burger King.

Our post didn't allow POV's unless you were married or E6-above. But I always had some German chick on the side and spent many hours behind the wheel of their various Renault 4, Fiat Panda or Datsun Bluebird...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I asked the AAFES guy why doesn't he sell GM and he said that they are offered the chance to join every year and every year they decline. He said that they do not give a reason why. Even Honda has jumped on board and started selling there Ridgeline.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I know why GM will not sell to Military overseas. From what I was told the only way that cars can be sold military overseas is that the car has to built in America. Are all GM cars built in America? I think my wife and decided on what cars we are going to get. I may get the 2010 for Taurus and my wife is going to ether get the 2010 MKT r that Audi SUV. I really wanted that CTS but the deals they offer to military are too good to pass up

·
Registered
146 Posts
It's been 6 years but when I was in Korea; Pontiacs were at Yongsan, they always had a Grand Prix GTP on display and Chevys at Osan AB, always a Corvette to be seen. Wonder what happened?

Well it seems yall are talking about Europe, maybe Asia hasn't changed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having worked for the Exchange New Car Sales Program since Nov of 1995 I can tell everyone the answer is quite simple; GM isn't part of the program anymore because they do not want to be.
They do not see value in an Overseas Program and therefore haven't been part of it since Sept of 2005.
A real shame if you ask me, not to mention slap in the face to the US Military who are our No. 1 customer and to this day have THOUSANDS of members Overseas!

Exchange New Car Sales sells and delivers approx. 17,000 vehicles per year.
Why would ANY manufacturer with the right business sense not want to have a piece of that "pie"?
It's no wonder they are losing money left, right and center, just look at OPEL and VAUXHALL here in Europe.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Having worked for the Exchange New Car Sales Program since Nov of 1995 I can tell everyone the answer is quite simple; GM isn't part of the program anymore because they do not want to be.
They do not see value in an Overseas Program and therefore haven't been part of it since Sept of 2005.
A real shame if you ask me, not to mention slap in the face to the US Military who are our No. 1 customer and to this day have THOUSANDS of members Overseas!

Exchange New Car Sales sells and delivers approx. 17,000 vehicles per year.
Why would ANY manufacturer with the right business sense not want to have a piece of that "pie"?
It's no wonder they are losing money left, right and center, just look at OPEL and VAUXHALL here in Europe.
Uh, losing money? Pretty sure they keep posting a profit in all regions, sans Europe (like everyone else).
17k vehicles? Stop the presses. GM offers a lot to active military here in the US, as well as do a lot for vets and the like. I guess selling a Chevy that is sold here, in another country, it has to be made to meet local emissions? Ford has One global face, and can just use locally made vehicles to sell. Chrysler has little global sales, so it's probably a way for them to justify the cost of tweaking the emissions to get some of the units out there.
GM has too many fiefdoms and little companies within the company that would pitch a fit. I would be surprised if GM didn't have something for local brands like Opel/Vauxhaul instead of Chevrolet.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Good question. I know they were available in 2000 when I was coming home from the Persian Gulf. I was planning on buying my first Silverado from them. Ended up buying an S-10 instead- it was all my awesome salary could afford...lol!
!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's funny how GM still refuses to answer this question. Not only do they not sell US spec vehicles in Europe to military/DoD personnel, they won't even allow you to buy one state side and have it shipped over. I was told they would not sell me a corvette or any other car after I told them I lived in Germany, the reason being if you "intend to export" it. You could not tell them you are overseas and buy one, but they will then not honor any warranty service in Europe. According to GM you can buy Euro spec versions of their vehicles over here. The thing is it costs WAY more even with getting the VAT tax removed, then you cannot ship it to the states. Also when you go to sell it to a local national, you would lose thousands more because of having to backpay road taxes that US personnel do not have to pay with a US military registration.

It's a giant slap in the face to those of us working overseas. Like others have mentioned, other car companies such as Ford, Dodge, even Toyota and Hyundai, sell US spec vehicles with full warranty to military and DoD civilians.

·
Premium Member
35,882 Posts
Because GM Marketing is moronic?

Speaking of military, what ever happened to Hitman?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts