GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a parent with two children, I have a hard time seeing if my daughter in the back seat behind me has her seat belt on and this concerns me.

The following is from a VW press release, and I believe it's a simple idea worth copying.

There is a common thread here: Volkswagen's typical attention to perfection of every detail in the car. Take the example of "seatbelt detection" in the rear: the driver can recognize on the multifunctional display in the ****pit whether the occupants have their seatbelts fastened in the rear – separately for each seat.

How much could this cost to implement?

The PR value would be priceless.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Personally I would hate to see that on any car. It would be simply annoying. Already all GM cars have one for the passenger seat and taking up dash room or even mirror room. Anything more will be a huge turn off.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Well...as for implementing it, VW and now a lot of new GM cars have that LED display between the two major guage pods. G8 and Camaro are 2 of the cars I know that have that, and with that they could have the car, and 4/5 designations for whos seat belt is on.
Would it be easy to do? Yeah. Is it more fluff or a false sense of security? Perhaps. Should guages and displays take over parenting? No.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I like it. Only problem is that most kids are in car seats for so long now. It would be very cheap to integrate into the bus of the new cars too.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Well...as for implementing it, VW and now a lot of new GM cars have that LED display between the two major guage pods. G8 and Camaro are 2 of the cars I know that have that, and with that they could have the car, and 4/5 designations for whos seat belt is on.
Would it be easy to do? Yeah. Is it more fluff or a false sense of security? Perhaps. Should guages and displays take over parenting? No.
Problem is that by the time you notice that the kid has unbuckled, you have no idea for how long. Now I can keep looking back and trying to check which isn't to safe for me driving. My 4 year old has a desire to unbuckle as soon as he see our neighborhood. It takes some time to correct this behavior and I would love this feature to help me know when the correction is needed....

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Sighhhhhhhh.......long gone are the days when kids would lie on the big shelf below the rear window. Just BEING in the back seat was supposed to be safe. Though I like the idea, a convex mirror could do the same thing (like in most minivans).

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
^^I don't think I ever rode the big shelf, but I don't think I was forced to wear a seatbelt until my teens either. I'm certain my parents know better now though.

I agree rear seatbelt indicators probably wouldn't be that helpful in most situations. But if nothing else, it would be a great marketing ploy. I've been saying for a long time now that Buick needs to be the new Volvo. This would be a start. It makes sence, so don't expect it to happen anytime soon.

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
Sighhhhhhhh.......long gone are the days when kids would lie on the big shelf below the rear window.
And anyone whose family had an old VW Beetle can remember the kids fighting over who got to sit in that little cubby space behind the back seat!

Picture it. New Orleans. 1971. Four-year-old t-rex is excited as can be, riding in the middle of the back seat of his grandpa's brand spankin' new, boat-tail Buick Riviera.

We're headed from New Orleans to Baton Rouge to support the Tulane Green Wave as they battle the mighty LSU Tigers. No interstates in those days so we traverse the bayous of Louisiana on surface highways. We turn from US61 onto Highland Road that eventually leads to Tiger Stadium.

Grandpa normally had a lead foot and in other circumstances would have been driving 70mph on the twisty two-lane road, but as good luck would have it, traffic's slowed to about 40mph because of game traffic, in addition to the bustle of construction activity where new ramps are being built to connect to the then-under-construction Interstate 10.

Grandpa was a notorious tailgater, but I wasn't paying attention, as my grandma was fussing at me for messing with the power window switch. The next thing I remember is my uncle, the front seat passenger, yelling something suddenly, then me being hurled at great speed from the back seat, between the front buckets and straight into the dashboard and console!

We missed smacking the car in front of us by about a millimeter! G-d gave us a mixed blessing that day: we were spared a potentially deadly crash (I only received some nasty bumps and bruises), but sadly the Tigers beat the Green Wave 26-14.

From that day on, my grandparents never rode without a seatbelt...

·
Registered
44,160 Posts
This won't happen.
Sad truth of it is, GM can't even get auto-dim mirrors for its cars in the US in a consistent manner. Now you're asking for what is essentially a "nanny light?"

It won't happen. GM deems this as an additional cost, that won't result in material sales increases, while adding extra engineering cost.

It is not in GM's nature to think of "smart additions" to its cars. If you want smart design touches -- buy European or Asian. Don't buy GM.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Not a bad idea. I don't generally care to have a ton of options in a car... I like simple cars... but I do see the point to something like this. You can't watch your kids every second, and it's easy for them to slip their belts off with no one noticing.

It would HAVE to be like in fronmt seats, where it only lights up if someone is sitting there. Having three extra lights lit up all the time with no one in the back seat would drive me bonkers!

·
Registered
11,071 Posts
I like simple cars...
Pick you up an old Renault Quatre!

One of my girlfriends in Germany had one. Windshield was so shallow it was like looking through a letter box, and the wiper sat right in your line of sight. I don't recall a seat adjustment facility, short of unbolting the seat. Heater was so weak it couldn't snuff out a lit match. Demister? Forget it, just have your g/f wipe the screen down with a flanel. Zero-to-sixty in a sunday afternoon. I don't think it even had rear seatbelts.

But BOY was it a blast to drive! The most funky, fun little car I've ever driven!

·
Registered
42 Posts
What if you're carrying something long and big in the back seat? The system surely isn't advanced enough to distinguish child rear from long-heavy object. Then what?

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
This won't happen.
Sad truth of it is, GM can't even get auto-dim mirrors for its cars in the US in a consistent manner. Now you're asking for what is essentially a "nanny light?"

It won't happen. GM deems this as an additional cost, that won't result in material sales increases, while adding extra engineering cost.

It is not in GM's nature to think of "smart additions" to its cars. If you want smart design touches -- buy European or Asian. Don't buy GM.
Again another anti-GM post brought to you by mgescuro.

Not sure which cars you've driven... but they all seem to work fine in all the GM cars I've had (about 3-5 per month).

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
You could simply buckle the belts.
not if it works anything like an airbag sensor. wife has an '05 vibe and that damn thing makes me want to punch a baby when i hear it. but i can't really complain, because i'm just too lazy to disconnect the correct wiring.:D

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Again another anti-GM post brought to you by mgescuro.

Not sure which cars you've driven... but they all seem to work fine in all the GM cars I've had (about 3-5 per month).
No kidding. And one particular "smart addition" that I love in GM cars is the daytime running headlamps as well as auto shut-off headlights. I can't stand driving other cars and having to turn the lights off when I get out. I'm sure there are many, many more, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

I heard once that Honda was the first to put coin storage compartments in cars, and if that's the "smart additions" that you're talking about, then sorry, but no thanks. I'll take my standard guages, radio, HVAC, and 2 cupholders and nothing more.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
not if it works anything like an airbag sensor. wife has an '05 vibe and that damn thing makes me want to punch a baby when i hear it. but i can't really complain, because i'm just too lazy to disconnect the correct wiring.:D
You should hear the '09 Vibe GT sound. Makes you want to go on a rampage and the electric beep just gets faster and faster. Why did the Vibe have to keep that annoying Toyota sound???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts