GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Silverado with rust bubbles under the paint around the cab's rear brake light. I took my truck in today to the dealer where I purchased the truck and was told this would normally be covered (my corrosion warranty expires June 2009), but because I am a coastal resident, the warranty would not be honored. I have had neighbors who have had rust repairs in the same location from the same dealer. Does the Service Manager have enough power to pick and choose who is covered and who is not ? I called GM Customer Service and said they could only go by what the local manager recommends. Also, when I purchased the truck, I was told the corrosion warranty would be honored no matter where I lived. Any suggestions on what to do next ?

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
Read your owners manual. The corrosion warranty doesn't cover rust.

It covers "rust through" the affected panel. As in holes. Not bubbling paint.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mr. Critical.....I just went outside and pushed on one of the paint bubbles with a screw driver and it went through the metal...does that qualify ??

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
As long as it is a rust through hole and not a hole you pushed through with a screwdriver, you should be in the clear.

I'll admit I've never heard of rust around the third brake light though.

Two questions-Are you the original owner of the truck? That doesn't matter except that you would know the history of the truck.

Second, any water leaks in that area that you know of? Headliner ever wet?

As long as it didn't come from Hurricane Katrina, you should be fine.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
The warranty seems a little blurry...IMHO it should be covered because you could poke through it with a screwdriver. Then again, if you poked through it but used a 3 lb hammer with that screwdriver, then to me that shouldn't be covered

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
As long as it is a rust through hole and not a hole you pushed through with a screwdriver, you should be in the clear.

I'll admit I've never heard of rust around the third brake light though.

Two questions-Are you the original owner of the truck? That doesn't matter except that you would know the history of the truck.

Second, any water leaks in that area that you know of? Headliner ever wet?

As long as it didn't come from Hurricane Katrina, you should be fine.
yeah as long as the hole came from natural corrosion and not through intentional effort on your part you should be just fine. If the dealer asks how the hole happened leave the screwdriver part out of your story and just claim its part of the problem. Pulled that trick on the dealer when I was getting my bumper fixed after I got rear ended. In my case the car only hit the lower left corner but we slightly rewrote history and told them the big crack on the right side was from the accident too :D

·
Registered
182 Posts
Read your owners manual. The corrosion warranty doesn't cover rust.

It covers "rust through" the affected panel. As in holes. Not bubbling paint.

You can have lots of damage before it breaks through..thats why the corrosion warranty is lame. Up here in the great white north it is best get your car or truck rustproofed with a good oil spray like RUST CHECK or KROWN

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
You can have lots of damage before it breaks through..thats why the corrosion warranty is lame. Up here in the great white north it is best get your car or truck rustproofed with a good oil spray like RUST CHECK or KROWN
I've never heard of anyone having that done. They spray the entire vehicle? I can understand ZBart or other undercarriage sprays, but a top coat on the paint seems excessive IMO.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i have a 2004 optra with bad valves.....the warranty covers valves, and the ones in this car are gummed up and not seating properly. The dealership printed off the warranty saying valves are covered, a diagnosis of the problem showing it is valves, and they say 'it's not covered because it's a design flaw in the valves and they tend to get gunked up'......so???? fix it!!!! I will never buy a GM product again. I always liked foreign, but decided to try a GM...this is my first and last GM..never again will i buy from GM.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
i have a 2004 optra with bad valves.....the warranty covers valves, and the ones in this car are gummed up and not seating properly. The dealership printed off the warranty saying valves are covered, a diagnosis of the problem showing it is valves, and they say 'it's not covered because it's a design flaw in the valves and they tend to get gunked up'......so???? fix it!!!! I will never buy a GM product again. I always liked foreign, but decided to try a GM...this is my first and last GM..never again will i buy from GM.
OK, were your valves rusty? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Can't imagine any dealer not honoring the rust warranty on that truck. What have you found out so far?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
i have a 2004 optra with bad valves.....the warranty covers valves, and the ones in this car are gummed up and not seating properly. The dealership printed off the warranty saying valves are covered, a diagnosis of the problem showing it is valves, and they say 'it's not covered because it's a design flaw in the valves and they tend to get gunked up'......so???? fix it!!!! [remainder snipped]
Always use a Top Tier certified gasoline. If the engine is prone to gunking up using the very best detergent fuel will definitely help. If you burn only a Top Tier fuel from day one you likely will never have significant deposit build up.

http://www.gmfleet.com/pdf/TechTip_0905_TopTierGasoline.pdf

-Elliott

1 - 20 of 29 Posts