GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dealer bidding war starts for Ford GT
By Eric Mayne / The Detroit News

LOS ANGELES — Chalk up another Ford Motor Co. victory over Ferrari.

When Ford’s 500-hp GT supercar arrives in dealer showrooms next summer, its base sticker price will be $139,995 — about $14,000 less than the Ferrari 360 Modena against which the Ford two-seater was benchmarked.

The automaker’s 3,850 dealers are waiting — many with orders in hand — to see who will get one of the 3,500 units Ford plans to build before the GT goes out of production in 2005.

Ford will decide which dealers will be allowed to sell the car by the end of the first quarter, said Martin Collins, Ford division general marketing manager.

(Full story here)

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I doubt that the GT will directly add anything to Ford's profits. I may be wrong, but I figure that Ford loses money with every GT that they sell. I just can't see them recouping all their development costs with the sale of 3,500 cars @ $140,000. Once you take out the cost of materials and of production, I just don't see enough left for much else. But this car isn't about direct profit; it's about image-- indirect profit... but that's another story.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.