GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has GM filled that opening they had for PR Czar, now we all know this guy loves to talk, and talk smack, but I don't think he can hear himself enough.

LINK

Interestingly, when looking for the above story (I was reading it on the paper copy) I found this (below), its from when he first started at Infiniti, WOW - guess he's toned it down?

de Nysschen’s message to Infiniti fans – The first draft

Reactions: Neanderthal

·
Registered
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
He is the 1st part of the story: (the edit function is giving me fits)

Chatting on Facebook recently, Cadillac CEO Johan de Nysschen called out a former Infiniti underling for supposedly killing the Q50 Eau Rouge, the Nissan GT-R-powered high-performance sedan that de Nysschen championed before leaving Infiniti for Cadillac last summer.

"I heard a rumor that Noboru Tateishi is going to cop-out and shelve the Eau Rouge project now that I'm not there to pressure him," de Nysschen wrote in a Facebook exchange with auto journalist Bertel Schmitt.

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Has GM filled that opening they had for PR Czar, now we all know this guy loves to talk, and talk smack, but I don't think he can hear himself enough.

LINK

Interestingly, when looking for the above story (I was reading it on the paper copy) I found this (below), its from when he first started at Infiniti, WOW - guess he's toned it down?

The first draft link is fake. Jalopnik.com uses it as their little spoof story website. Basically like the Onion but for cars.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I think his time is better spent working on Cadillac and its million-and-one problems than worrying about Infinity, a lineup that he doesn't even consider to be competition. What next, his opinion on Subaru?

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I think his time is better spent working on Cadillac and its million-and-one problems than worrying about Infinity, a lineup that he doesn't even consider to be competition. What next, his opinion on Subaru?
So he's not allowed to have an opinion on Facebook about cars? Yet you are? I'm just happy that he is enthusiastic about cars and the car buiness. In the past so many GM executives couldn't give a crap whether they were in the car industry or the washing machine industry (I'm sure many are still that way)! And as a result the cars GM came out with in the past looked and drove like appliances, albeit in many instances crappy, unreliable ones.

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts

LINK

I don't think PR Czar is on their radar yet. Give them another 10 years...:confused:

Meanwhile, I wonder if his old office at Infinity, Inc., has a new occupant yet? Maybe he's hankerin' for his old job back!

"I'm trying to help my old team by provoking," de Nysschen wrote in the post. "They really want, need and deserve that car. But one guy is a bottleneck."

OTOH, if his GM gig doesn't work out, there is a place for him at the helping hand of Big Government. Rest assured.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
So he's not allowed to have an opinion on Facebook about cars? Yet you are?
Exactly! I'm the first to overreact here in general, and am not De Nysschen's biggest fan (not that I have much to base an opinion on), but it's actually a good sign that he is clearly an automotive fan and paying attention to the industry. Plus, this shows that he had a personal investment in Infiniti, and is obviously a bit upset that one of his babies might not survive. And finally, how long does a post on Facebook take? A few minutes? I don't think that anyone believes he spent hours of his Cadillac time crafting a FB post.

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Cadillac has so much more history, but it is interesting that on the whole I'm guessing they're about equal in terms of public image. Plus Infiniti's lineup is more thorough than Cadillac's at this point with regard to SUVs. They just need some products that sell better. *cough*QX50, Q70*cough*

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Exactly! I'm the first to overreact here in general, and am not De Nysschen's biggest fan (not that I have much to base an opinion on), but it's actually a good sign that he is clearly an automotive fan and paying attention to the industry. Plus, this shows that he had a personal investment in Infiniti, and is obviously a bit upset that one of his babies might not survive. And finally, how long does a post on Facebook take? A few minutes? I don't think that anyone believe he spent hours of his Cadillac time crafting a FB post.
Excellent point, paul. If the guy was major-invested in that ride, and a former underling with whom he has, shall we say, a less than robustly friendly relationship is responsible for deep-sixing it, well, the guy's going to be pissed.

Lesson? He should've fired the guy before he left! :cool:

·
Registered
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So he's not allowed to have an opinion on Facebook about cars? Yet you are? I'm just happy that he is enthusiastic about cars and the car buiness. In the past so many GM executives couldn't give a crap whether they were in the car industry or the washing machine industry (I'm sure many are still that way)! And as a result the cars GM came out with in the past looked and drove like appliances, albeit in many instances crappy, unreliable ones.

Is he allowed an opinion, sure.

Is it wise for him to "air his dirty laundry" publically, about a competitor that he recently worked at, probably not.

I'll take this down to a simpleton level for you:

3 years ago I took what I thought to be a dream job, on top of the 20% pay increase and it being located 2 1/2 miles from my house; after about 3 months, things became troubling, 9 months it was problematic, and at a little over a year, it actually put me in the hospital, I started looking once the 1-year "claw-back" on my signing bonus expired, I left at the 16 month mark, sitting next to you on a bar-stool, I'll share with you about everything there is to know, but publically, in any form, not a chance - for all kinds of reasons, and I'm by no means anywhere near the level this guy is.

And that my friend, is my "opinion"............................... :zippy:

·
Premium Member
36,291 Posts
Is he allowed an opinion, sure.

Is it wise for him to "air his dirty laundry" publically, about a competitor that he recently worked at, probably not.

I'll take this down to a simpleton level for you:

3 years ago I took what I thought to be a dream job, on top of the 20% pay increase and it being located 2 1/2 miles from my house; after about 3 months, things became troubling, 9 months it was problematic, and at a little over a year, it actually put me in the hospital, I started looking once the 1-year "claw-back" on my signing bonus expired, I left at the 16 month mark, sitting next to you on a bar-stool, I'll share with you about everything there is to know, but publically, in any form, not a chance - for all kinds of reasons, and I'm by no means anywhere near the level this guy is.

And that my friend, is my "opinion"............................... :zippy:
And another excellent point of view.

My style is more yours, Ed. I've worked for some doozeys, and even today years or decades after suffering under their incompetence, dishonesty, or serious mental illness, I'm not going to post about what *******s they are, on fecesbook etc. For starters, I don't hang at those places.

I WILL share it in conversation or email. And knowing that you should not email anything to anyone--or post it on a website for that matter--that you don't want the entire world to possibly see, I'll still share it in an email.

This guy clearly likes to talk a lot. And a lot more.

One more reason for a PR Czar, which I expect the GM BoD to have a revelation :eek: about sometime around 2028, if we're lucky.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
636 Posts
It may seem refreshing to hear one auto exec go off on a competitor, but there are good reasons why it is rarely done. 1. In hindsight every car maker seems to have made bad product decisions. If you live in a glass house don't throw stones. 2. GM may need help from Nissan or Renault on a governmental issue or anti-counterfeiting in Asia, US or Europe so don't create ill will. It's an unforced error. 3. GM may need Nissan or Renault's assistance on a supplier or IP issue. Believe me this happens frequently. Why make it harder. 4. For Johan personally it makes him seem spiteful and petty. Not the GM of Cadillac. He needs to get over it and rise above.
Really the list goes on and on.
If Johan wants to be a critic he should ask PDL for a job.

·
Registered
21,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
At least at Cadillac he has a team passionate about kicking ass and building the best cars.

Is that some sort of a weak apology?...................

I take it, you've never worked for an Asian company?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts