1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DaimlerChrysler Launches HEMI.com The Official Web Site for HEMI® Enthusiasts
Monday July 12
Source: Chrysler Group

AUBURN HILLS, Mich., July 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- For more than 50 years the HEMI® engine has stood for unparalleled automotive power and performance. In response to the overwhelming interest and popularity of the HEMI engine, DaimlerChrysler has launched the official HEMI.com web site dedicated to HEMI owners and enthusiasts worldwide (http://www.HEMI.com ). HEMI.com is an interactive web site that presents an historical timeline of the evolution of the HEMI engine, beginning with HEMI's inception back in the early 1950's. The development of the legendary 426 HEMI that revolutionized NASCAR and NHRA racing (and was ultimately banned by NASCAR) is featured, along with the new generation 5.7L HEMI. In addition, web surfers will find vintage photographs and biographical information featuring the people who were behind the most famous automotive powerplant in the world.

"HEMI.com was created because of the HEMI loyalists around the globe," said Ron McDaniel, Chrysler Group Director of Advanced Service and Technical Information. "Interest in collectible muscle cars of the 60's and 70's is at an all-time high. We wanted to have a place where HEMI enthusiasts could get the official story of the HEMI, and a new generation of HEMI enthusiasts can find everything they want to know about the HEMI and have fun doing it."

The racing destination within the site includes photos and biographical information featuring the drivers from the world of racing who made the HEMI synonymous with winning. The list includes racing legends Richard Petty, Buddy Baker, Don Garlits, **** Landy and Sox & Martin and reads like the roster from racing's hall of fame.

For the history buff, the site contains vintage ads from the 1950's and 60's, when Detroit muscle was king. For the more technically minded, HEMI.com contains specifications for the historic HEMI engines and provides graphic details of how these engines managed to produce such incredible power. Visitors to the site can also visit our multimedia section where they can download their favorite HEMI ads and wallpaper images.

Article Here

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Wow. You don't see demand for an "LS6.com or Vortec.com" Marketing and an easy to remember name, backed by true performance seems to do wonders for DCX

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
have to admit, dcx did do well with their marketing. most people know what a "hemi" is, or least think they do.. while ls1/ls2/ls6/vortec etc etc are probably only know by performance enthusiasts.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Originally posted by IMPALAon20s@Jul 13 2004, 02:56 AM
have to admit, dcx did do well with their marketing. most people know what a "hemi" is, or least think they do.. while ls1/ls2/ls6/vortec etc etc are probably only know by performance enthusiasts.
Someone (a Toyota owner) asked me if I knew what a "Hammy" was! :lol:

I explained that it referred to the shape of the piston and I think that kind of ruined the story for her.

·
Registered
750 Posts
its really more the shape of the head, not the piston.

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
No doubt the HEMI moniker is a huge marketing success for DCX. The HEMI.com site looks good, too. The section for browsing the HEMI crate engines is interesting.

It will be interesting to watch how DCX manages this HEMI brand going forward. Would DCX call future 4 or 6 cylinder engines with even a remotely hemispherical combustion chamber a 'hemi'? Maybe not, but it will be intersting to watch.

Nice job DCX.

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Originally posted by ByTheLake@Jul 13 2004, 11:14 AM
Would DCX call future 4 or 6 cylinder engines with even a remotely hemispherical combustion chamber a 'hemi'? Maybe not, but it will be intersting to watch.

They said they definitely won't do that. They want to keep it as a premium engine, so "Hemi" won't be used on anything other than V-8s.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I've heard that the Northstar's head is more of a true hemisphere than the Hemi's head is, and the revival of the Hemi name is more of a great marketing ploy than the true return of the "hemi". Does anyone know if this is true or if what I heard was just a load of crap? :blink:

·
Registered
25 Posts
In response to Highlander's question, I have heard that the hemi dcx motor is really a "semi-hemi." It's closer to the semi-hemi shape that famous Ford 429 motor was...not the true hemi of the same era. Marketing is everything.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't even the 3.4L V6 minivan engine use the "Vortec" name? :rolleyes:

2003 PONTIAC MONTANA

Engine: Vortec 3400 3.4L V-6 (LA1) -- 185 hp at 5,200 r.p.m. and 210 lbs.-ft. of torque
at 4,000 r.p.m.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jul 13 2004, 07:14 PM
Doesn't even the 3.4L V6 minivan engine use the "Vortec" name? :rolleyes:
The "vortec" in the vortec engines refers to the air movement into the combustion chamber through the bowl area. So technically any head that they apply to knowledge to is a "vortec engine". I believe all GM heads employ this style, however I belive GM uses the monicer strictly in truck engines...

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
Originally posted by Askani+Jul 13 2004, 09:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Askani @ Jul 13 2004, 09:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Jul 13 2004, 07:14 PM
Doesn't even the 3.4L V6 minivan engine use the "Vortec" name?  :rolleyes:
The "vortec" in the vortec engines refers to the air movement into the combustion chamber through the bowl area. [/b][/quote]
Well, 'vortec' isn't a real word, and another company owns it anyway. GM doesn't call the engines 'vortex', referring to the swirl effect of the combustion chamber. Vortex.com is owned by another company anyway.

I suppose GM will just keep slapping the 'tec' suffix onto words as it sees fit.

:(

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by Buick61@Jul 13 2004, 05:48 AM
"Hemi" won't be used on anything other than V-8s.
HEMI will not be used on anything "smaller" than a V8.
No 4- or 6-cyl HEMIs. But maybe V10s (for the Viper).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts