GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,201 Posts
So, the reason why impala didnt get a redesign till 2013-2014 is because the redesigned impala would of been on Zeta? Some work was done on it?
Work was near complete. I was told by those who saw them that the Zeta Impalas were drop dead gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
x2...what a shame, it was said the Zeta Impala was 10x's nicer then the current model, to bad we will never get to see it.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Never. But two people told me it was better looking than the Camaro.
That would have been something to have seen. :)

Motor Trend did have a few prediction designs, but in hindsight, looked way too amateurish.
GM Rationalizes Rear Drive: Sigma and Zeta architectures to be converged, Impala likely to stay FWD

Chevrolet's Secret Impala: GM starts work on RWD sedan for 2010

I've somewhat wondered if the current fwd Impala design could be a massaged version of that lost Zeta proposal.

·
Banned
943 Posts
There was also a second generation of the new GTO. If it is anything like the Coupe 60 Concept, it would have been a hit.
I doubt it would have been a hit. Too many people were still on the "It has got to be the Judge or nothing!" kick when it came to the GTO.

That damned "it has got to be retro!" consumer mindset probably one of the main reasons why GM/Chevy is treating us to a melted version of the 5th gen for the 6th generation.

How many more generations of the 69 Camaro do we need?!? I bet the 5th gen could be built until the end of time because it reminds someone of their fathers fathers fathers father fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers fathers car
that looked like the 69 Camaro was featured on the front of Super Chevy magazine.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Has anything ever leaked out? Sketches, renders...........etc
I always figured they were very tight lipped about that car because it still may come to pass, like in 2017! That's the only reason not to show it, they have showed the Chevelle concept, all those Pontiac concepts, and the Caddy Concepts, so why not show that Zeta Impala. Honestly that's the only car that has never come to light, even 6 or 7 years later why is this, they show us everything else why not that Zeta Impala.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Has anything ever leaked out? Sketches, renders...........etc
I would suspect that the current Impala is a slightly modified version of that car. If the design was as stellar as they say, GM wouldn't just throw it away. The Impala is a stunning car. Lots of presence. The Camaro inspired front end, is one tell, I suspect (and have always wondered what the Camaro's original black egg-crate grille would look in place of the Impala's chrome slats?). The accentuated rear haunches is another.
Of course, they had to massage it to fit on the FWD Epsillon2 lwb's proportions, and have minor styling changes, as it was now selling to a different section of the market. But I feel the Impala's current design has a lot of RWD in it.
Has there ever been any chops of the current Impala as a RWD model?

·
Registered
7,272 Posts
Foreign built cars don't count towards CAFE? Did I read that right?

They count, but they count separately. There's a foreign-built CAFE score and a domestic-built CAFE score. The unions and their paid-lapdogs in Congress got the law written this way to prevent outsourcing.

IMO, this was the single worst thing ever to happen to the industry. You can say all you want about bad management, but the high union labor costs were always at the core of all the issues in the domestic industry. Bad management decisions will happen and they can be overcome. High fixed costs were an insurmountable problem (unless long strikes that would have cost billions were an answer).

GM was already losing money on compact cars like the Chevette and the J-cars, though they sold very well. People complained about GM skimping on quality. That was true, but it was driven by labor costs. if they matched the Japanese part for part, feature for feature, they'd never have been able to bring those cars to market at a reasonable, competitive price.

The sensible thing would have been to outsource the small, lower-profit (actually no profit) cars to Mexico to bring the costs down. Along comes CAFE with it's "two fleet" rule. Captive imports had their own separate CAFE score separate from domestic builds. So, GM had to keep building compact cars at a loss in the US to balance off the lower fuel mileage figures from their profitable, larger cars. CAFE created a total no-win situation for the domestic industry.

I didn't like the bailout of GM, but I thought it was necessary. Watching your major industries crumble into insolvency isn't a good thing for a nation. And when you consider how the government screwed up the industry, maybe the bailout was justifiable payback.

As for those who defend CAFE and say that higher mileage was necessary (though the market should decide that), CAFE would have accomplished the same thing without the "two fleet" rule. That rule had nothing to do with fuel economy; it was a union-designed time bomb.

·
Registered
182 Posts
4 door yes, coupe no. Coupe 60 or VF monaro concepts look better....... what could have been.
Happy new year all

1 - 20 of 26 Posts