GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Despite the popular belief that the Toyota Prius was the first hybrid vehicle sold in the Unites States, the Honda Insight actually holds that title. The Insight was never a sales success, and was eventually discontinued. This time around, Honda is convinced it will have a winner on its hands. Our spies today captured the first ever images of the 2010 Insight, which promises to rival the Prius in fuel economy and price point.

Priced below the Honda Civic, this Japanese-built hybrid will carry over much of the hatchback styling from the FCX.

In addition to recycling the Insight name, Honda is also expected to equip the new hybrid with the same 1.3L Integrated Motor Assist system found in the current-generation Honda Civic Hybrid. Although the new Insight will be loosely based on the Fit, it will measure in at 3 inches longer and 1 inch wider than the Fit.

One Honda insider told Edmunds the Insight’s fuel economy would be “insane”, with some Japanese sources predicting mileage as high as 71 mpg. Actual mileage will likely lower when it hits our shores, but should still be impressive.

And if those lofty fuel-economy numbers weren’t enough to cause an instant waiting list for the new hybrid, the next-generation Insight could list from as little as $19,000 – undercutting the Toyota Prius by thousands of dollars.

The new Insight is expected to debut at the Paris Motor Show, but Honda could also wait until November’s Los Angeles Auto Show. Whatever the case, the new five-door hybrid should hit U.S. Honda dealers early next year.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
It looks just like a prius. Yuck.

Hopefully it won't just be the plug in part that makes the Volt a hit. We can all hope that GM puts the design attention that the CTS and Malibu got into the Volt. That alone will make it the hottest hybrid out there.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
In case you didn't catch it - $19,000 + 70mpg = Potent Combination.

I believe the shape contributes to the high mpg and you can bet that Honda will find a way to cleverly advertise that fact. Yes, design is HUGE and can make a major difference when it comes to sales. However, $19,000 > $40,000. There's some boolean logic for you that works in todays market conditions.

·
Premium Member
35,893 Posts
What...is the driver about to pull a blankey over his head and take a nap?

Anyway, if those numbers are anywhere near accurate this puppy should sell out like the VW Jetta diesels reportedly are.
Shape? Not a problem for me. I'm more interested in what it costs, how it drives, and how it MPGs.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
If they stick to that price, expect it to sell a lot. And I mean a LOT. Honda's already selling the Fit and the Civic before they hit the lots in many cases, and for that price...and that economy...

Good luck competition.

·
Premium Member
35,893 Posts

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
they already make those. called a prius

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
This is a great move on Honda's part because there's a huge number of buyers that would like to get Prius/HCH FE numbers but don't want to pay $23000 or $25000 or $28000. At the prices noted it will be a killer for the frugal segments.

A nice job overall on Honda's part.

However it still will be a $17000 vehicle with a $2000 hybrid addition. It essentially will be a lesser vehicle than the HCH. If it was going to be a better vehicle than the HCH then it would be priced at $25000 or $27000. It's likely to be a basic commuter that gets very very good fuel economy.

That's a HUGE market.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Now the question is, what up with GM and do they have anything similar coming down the road? :confused::confused:
Current Civic hybrid weighs around 2600 pounds and gets 40/45 currently. To get 70 mpg, it would have to lose at least 1000 pounds, if not more. Smart weighs in at 1800 pounds and gets 33/41 in 2008 EPA numbers. Unless Honda can change physics I am guessing that there is something more than the Hybrid drivetrain from the Civic.

A Beat with a 1.0 turbo BAS+ would be cool......

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
By the way, rumor in the Honda world claims that they're calling it the Insight.

Bringing back a car name that didn't do well at the time it came out, but has a loyal following of owners, and will certainly have a ton of new interest given the cost of fuel.

And here's GM discontinuing the Cobalt name and replacing it with CRUZE.

If Honda can pull that kind of mileage out of this car and it price it around $20,000, God help GM.

·
Registered
962 Posts
So now we have the Japanese copying their own designs:rolleyes:--I guess we've come full circle.

Maybe some people like to drive ugly, but to me appearance does matter!

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
It sure doesn't look like a car only a few inches larger then a Fit.

Likely built on the same platform as the FCX, which has a 110" wheelbase, I'll bet it is slightly larger then the Civic sedan.

·
Registered
734 Posts
It sure doesn't look like a car only a few inches larger then a Fit.

Likely built on the same platform as the FCX, which has a 110" wheelbase, I'll bet it is slightly larger then the Civic sedan.

So what if it is ugly. $19k and 70mpg = Sold out until gas hits $2.50 a gallon (which will probably be never).

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The article says the new Insight will resemble the Clarity, which I think is much sharper and more attractive than the Prius.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
That classic low nose/high butt "one box" shape no doubt yields a low coefficient of drag to help it get that "insane" mileage.....I wonder if that might be a Prius body in part as part of a "mule". The price mentioned is amazing! I hope the Volt is also very aerodynamic and hope its cd at least matches the 0.26 of the current Prius...managing airflow is crucial to great mileage.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
The article says the new Insight will resemble the Clarity, which I think is much sharper and more attractive than the Prius.

I agree....I think the Clarity is a futuristic stunner! I look forward to learning its coefficient of drag; have not been able to yet....my guess is 0.21 or 0.23 range.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
If it is functional, reliable, relatively inexpensive and gets great gas mileage, styling be damned. Yes, let GM put all their eggs on the new Camaro or some other vehicle that will sell only a few thousand copies. GM needs a major seller and should (probably was) have been concentrating on high mileage and alternative fuel vehicles to get them out of the hole they dug for themselves. This company needs life savers not boat anchors.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts