GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by my Chevy dealer since it was a nice day and the Monte was washed and polished. As usual, I asked how business was going and that I noticed the red, Dale Jr MC on the lawn.
"They are not selling- have had them on the lot for months". was the reply.
Taking a close look, those black stripes look bad and they are just painted on making them look cheap. An Intimidator was next to it and the all black car was much nicer in appearance.
Popular Mechanics had an article stating that 2005 will have some styling changes; most notably in the front end. Although it will still be FWD, maybe it will sell better.

On a positive note, I was driving my Monte to a local car show and getting ready to park it when one of the guys running the show asked me "Are you just coming to look or are you showing?". I felt good about that.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, the Dale Jr. cars are still sitting on dealer lots here too. As are the Indianapolis Edition Imapla SS's. I talked with a salesman a couple weeks ago about those and he told me they couldn't give them away. They're currently asking just $24,000 for the Impalas.

·
Registered
316 Posts
probably because no rational human being who is over the age of 16 would pay more for a car because of a name and stickers and stripes, and of course no 16 year old has that kind of money. these limited edition cars are just pathetically stupid.

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
The other Spec Ed cars I didn't mind, but the ugly black stripes on the red pain on the JR car are horrible.

But if he dies (I hope not), the car would jump up in value.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The next idea would be to apply all those sponsor stickers all overthe car. You know, like a real NASCAR racer. :lol:
Even at 16 (many years ago), I would hesitate to drive around with an 8-ball sticker on the side.
What really gets me is somebody is getting paid big money to come up with these horse---- ideas. As I read the Monte Carlo, etc. design topics on this site, I saw many desings coming from amateurs that were 10 times better than what I see on the street.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Dale Jr. MCs here seem to be selling, albeit slowly. See 3 recently, and 2 dealers I know of that had them are now gone.

Indy SS Impalas are a different story. Offered $25,000 for one from a local dealer (like the chrome wheels mainly), and was turned down. Again, that has been sitting for 4 months now.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
i don't think they should have made two special edition monte carlo's, Dale Earnhardt was one of the greatest nascar racers of all time, and his tragic death definitely deserves a special edition car. But jr.? i'll pass on that. he's a great racer and often is in the lead in the nextel cup points and shows us some great [email protected] moves on the track. but his dad did all that and more and i would much rather have the Intimidator mc rather than the jr. even though i'm a big fan of both Earnhardts not everybody is a fan of them, many like gordon :plasma:
it would have been a better seller if it was just a Nascar version rather than just two drivers (although i like the intimidator mc)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts