GM Inside News Forum banner

DaimlerChrysler to add North American trucks jobs

986 views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  sykboy 
#1 ·
FRANKFURT, July 9 (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler (XETRA:DCXGn.DE - News; NYSE:DCX - News) will increase staff at its streamlined North American trucks unit this year to meet rising demand, the German-American group's commercial vehicles division head said on Friday.

"We will add around 2,000 people in the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) area," Eckhard Cordes said at an industry conference in Frankfurt, while employment in key market Germany should remain roughly steady in 2004.

He did not say where the NAFTA jobs would be added.

DaimlerChrysler's trucks division cut its U.S. staff from 22,000 to 11,000 while closing three U.S. plants during a recent reorganisation, Cordes said.

Cordes has pinned his hopes for a recovery on the North American market, which he told reporters was doing well in a generally better environment for global truck sales.

He forecast in March that 220,000 heavy trucks could be sold in the NAFTA region during 2004, one year earlier than previously expected. The overall market there has been stuck around the 180,000 level for three years.

Full Story HERE

See less See more
#5 ·
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Jul 9 2004, 03:20 PM
the NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) area,
what the heck does that mean. Mexico?

The Chinese venture thing is also scary.

Hmm, with some of the press I've been reading here lately, with GM also doing some stuff in China, perhaps, in the not to distant future, perhaps the only "truly American made" vehicles we will be able to buy will be built by companies with names such as Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Subaru, BMW? Hmm, imagine all GM products and Ford products being built in Mexico or China. It's a very real possibility. I hope it dosen't happen, but present trends appear to be leaning that way.

<_<

#6 ·
Originally posted by Snake Skinner+Jul 9 2004, 08:09 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Snake Skinner @ Jul 9 2004, 08:09 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tgagneguam@Jul 9 2004, 05:48 PM
I wonder if DCX will draw from the pool of the 11,000 laid off workers to fill the 2,000 new positions.

Well, at least 2,000 people will find a reasonably well-paying job some time in the near future.
I believe the UAW requirers them to. [/b][/quote]
Hmmm, I anticipated that. :D

#7 ·
Originally posted by New_Mexico_Sunset_on_Rt66@Jul 9 2004, 08:31 PM
Hmm, imagine all GM products and Ford products being built in Mexico or China. It's a very real possibility. I hope it dosen't happen, but present trends appear to be leaning that way.
There is no reason to preserve expensive jobs just for emotional reasons. If the unions are willing to take pay cuts and to trim benefits, then they should be able to keep their jobs. If they are unwilling to become competitive in the international arena, then there is no reason to preserve their jobs. Afterall, it isn't rocket science working on an assembly line. Unions are fully in control of the automotive labor pool (with few exceptions) so they are at fault for their preservation or loss of jobs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.