GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PHILADELPHIA, May 25 (Reuters) - DaimlerChrysler (XETRA:DCXN.DE - News; NYSE:DCX - News) has been hit by a third lawsuit claiming that the 1998 deal that formed the German-American automaker cheated investors out of billions of dollars because it was deceptively billed as a "merger of equals" rather than a takeover.

The latest suit, filed in U.S. District Court in Delaware Monday on behalf of investors outside the United States, cites Daimler-Benz investment bankers' estimates that Chrysler was worth between $10 billion and $36 billion more than its shareholders received.

"While an acquisition would have resulted in a payment of a 'control premium' which would have pushed the acquisition premium well above 40 percent, the smaller premium received by shareholders of Chrysler was purportedly justified because control of DaimlerChrysler was to be shared by former management of both companies," according to the suit, a copy of which was obtained by Reuters.

DaimlerChrylser, the world's fifth-largest automaker, is also being sued by billionaire investor Kirk Kerkorian, whose Tracinda Corp. was the largest shareholder in Chrysler at the time of the merger. Kerkorian is seeking $1.35 billion plus other expenses, saying he too was misled into believing the transaction was a merger of equals, depriving him of the "control premium."

Kerkorian's suit was prompted by an October 2000 Financial Times interview in which DaimlerChrysler Chairman Juergen Schrempp, German mastermind of the merger, said he had intended Chrysler to become a division rather than an equal partner.

The new suit contends that Schrempp and his allies cemented their takeover of the No. 3 U.S. automaker by naming former Daimler executives to key positions in the new company.

DaimlerChrysler settled the first legal challenge to the merger, a class-action lawsuit filed by U.S. investors, by agreeing to pay $300 million last August.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
122 Posts
Those Chrystler guys should burn in H-E-double-hockey-sticks for selling to Daimler :plasma:

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
I'm shocked that in our anti-litigious society (ahem) that a third lawsuit would be brought against DCX for this reason. Daimler-Benz and Chrysler have merged, for better or for worse. This is a distraction that DCX can ill afford.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I can accept the takeover, that's part of business. I just don't like the false pretenses of how it happened. Merger of equals - yea right! <_<

·
Registered
122 Posts
Originally posted by ozone_GTX@May 25 2004, 03:09 PM
Exactly how old are you? :lol:
Old enough to be your daddy....punk :mrt:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Damn CEO's these days.... or is it just that now there dirty laundry is being aired??

Chyrsler is on the bottom of my list of manufacturers I follow.... I really could care less what they call themselves.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Originally posted by leadfoot85+May 26 2004, 07:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (leadfoot85 @ May 26 2004, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-ozone_GTX@May 25 2004, 03:09 PM
Exactly how old are you? :lol:
Old enough to be your daddy....punk :mrt: [/b][/quote]
Watcha gonna do? Give me a spanking on my BE-hind?

:p

·
Registered
710 Posts
Originally posted by T-Type@May 26 2004, 09:13 AM
I can accept the takeover, that's part of business. I just don't like the false pretenses of how it happened.
Lying and misleading investors is not "part of business".
Actually, it probably is, but it should be handled criminally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts